Luis Robert signing official

southsider2k5

BTW, the columnist doesn't come up with the photos. If it's wrong, it's not on him. I disagree with his column, but I also disagree with the notion Robert is the best player on the planet. It's almost as absurd as Schwarber is the reincarnation of Babe Ruth. But he didn't write about that. You know where he stands.

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 22, 2017 -> 09:51 AM)
BTW, the columnist doesn't come up with the photos. If it's wrong, it's not on him. I disagree with his column, but I also disagree with the notion Robert is the best player on the planet. It's almost as absurd as Schwarber is the reincarnation of Babe Ruth. But he didn't write about that. You know where he stands.

I actually agree with the point of the column, even though it's not written particularly well. There is so much hype before any of these players even play, it's almost unfair to them. I understand why it happens but calling a 19 year old the best player on the planet is a little ridiculous.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 22, 2017 -> 10:34 AM)
I actually agree with the point of the column, even though it's not written particularly well. There is so much hype before any of these players even play, it's almost unfair to them. I understand why it happens but calling a 19 year old the best player on the planet is a little ridiculous.

I'd be more receptive to it if he had written it when that comment was made in January instead of the clear "I need to write a column, huh, sox signed a Robert from Cuba, who is this person, somebody said that, that's dumb, let me write a whole column with that being the entirety of my research"

QUOTE (bmags @ May 22, 2017 -> 10:37 AM)
I'd be more receptive to it if he had written it when that comment was made in January instead of the clear "I need to write a column, huh, sox signed a Robert from Cuba, who is this person, somebody said that, that's dumb, let me write a whole column with that being the entirety of my research"

I agree. As I said I agree with the point, that there is far too much hype of players who haven't played, but it was not written very well.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ May 22, 2017 -> 10:08 AM)
It took an hour and ten minutes before S&P learned to pronounce his last name

Chuck Garfien said it's pronounced like "Robert" in David Robertson, but others are saying "Ro-bare", so I still don't know how it's supposed to be pronounced.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ May 22, 2017 -> 11:13 AM)
Chuck Garfien said it's pronounced like "Robert" in David Robertson, but others are saying "Ro-bare", so I still don't know how it's supposed to be pronounced.

White Sox say "Robert" like Robert De Niro

That's just terrible.

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ May 22, 2017 -> 11:13 AM)

Back when the Sox got Ozzie, I guess the real pronouncation of his last name was Ge Jen or something like that. They asked Ozzie and he said he didn't care, just as long as they spelled it correctly on the paycheck.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ May 22, 2017 -> 11:57 AM)
First home run on this highlight reel was a freaking tomahawk - wow. Looked kind of Vlad Guerrero like.

Crazy how he got out and around that pitch to pull it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 22, 2017 -> 11:24 AM)
Back when the Sox got Ozzie, I guess the real pronouncation of his last name was Ge Jen or something like that. They asked Ozzie and he said he didn't care, just as long as they spelled it correctly on the paycheck.

Guillen is pronounced correctly (by the Spanish pronunciation) here. Gui-zhen is the Argentinian pronunciation. You are right; early in his career there was some confusion

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ May 22, 2017 -> 10:13 AM)

Why are other people pronouncing it like he's a Frenchman? :lol:

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ May 22, 2017 -> 01:17 PM)
Latin based languages can be so damn confusing. :lol:

Anyone hear how the Latino sports writers have been pronouncing his name? Latino's would have a much better idea on the correct pronunciation.

White Sox confirmed it's Robert as in Robert Kennedy but, Badler today said the announcers mostly said it as Robert too, it just got confused when people assumed it was Robert due to it being of norman origin/latin/french pronunciation likely in Cuba.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 22, 2017 -> 01:18 PM)
White Sox confirmed it's Robert as in Robert Kennedy but, Badler today said the announcers mostly said it as Robert too, it just got confused when people assumed it was Robert due to it being of norman origin/latin/french pronunciation likely in Cuba.

Right. That's what I was thinking as well. There's literally no way it was "Robert". Unless he went ahead and was like "I'm playing in America and I want to be a brand name, so let's go with the American pronunciation".

Does anyone say Robert in the highlight videos? They're all speaking Spanish, so "Robert" like Redford would stick out.