Keith Law

Jose Abreu

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shipps @ May 24, 2017 -> 10:31 AM)
Can someone explain to me what was Law thinking that Garfien was insinuating? Or what WAS Garfien insinuating? I am confused, like usual.

I think he thought Garfien was going to say the scouts Law is getting his info from are upset they didnt get him so they're trying to play his talents down. That is if they were scouts of teams that wanted him.

Edited by Sockin

QUOTE (Sockin @ May 24, 2017 -> 10:41 AM)
I think he thought Garfien was going to say the scouts Law is getting his info from are upset they didnt get him so they're trying to play his talents down. That is if they were scouts of teams that wanted him.

Ah I see. Thats probably what happened and why Law is so defensive.

Keith Law is an idiot and sounded like a sensitive jerk on the Chuckmeister's podcast.

As some of you said, it took years before he stopped trashing Chris Sale.

He's also the same guy who said Miguel Cabrera did not have an MVP caliber season when he won the Triple Crown. I think he said he wasn't even top 3.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 23, 2017 -> 10:10 PM)
The email that was sent out by him made it pretty clear it was a little more than a joke:

Here is the issue. If the consensus of the scouts is that he has serious hit issues why are any of the other baseball people Badler etc. ranking him so high? Do that not have access to the same scouts?

QUOTE (shipps @ May 24, 2017 -> 10:31 AM)
Can someone explain to me what was Law thinking that Garfien was insinuating? Or what WAS Garfien insinuating? I am confused, like usual.

I think Law was moreso mad that he felt Garfien was insinuating that Law only talked to scouts with teams that couldn't sign Robert, and therefore was more critical of his ability, and that Law couldn't see through the BS. Basically that Law got bad info and that he was gullible enough to believe it. He basically said that.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ May 24, 2017 -> 11:16 AM)
I think Law was moreso mad that he felt Garfien was insinuating that Law only talked to scouts with teams that couldn't sign Robert, and therefore was more critical of his ability, and that Law couldn't see through the BS. Basically that Law got bad info and that he was gullible enough to believe it. He basically said that.

I don't think he basically said that. I think all he was gonna say was something along the lines of, "are scouts sometimes biased due to their teams' potential on landing a player?".

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ May 23, 2017 -> 10:52 PM)
The only opinion stated in the first post was that that he found the situation interesting. :huh

Yeah, this thread is mostly just a discussion about Law's newsletter and him freaking out on Chuck's podcast. Nothing absurd about it, but to each their own.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ May 24, 2017 -> 12:49 PM)
I don't think he basically said that. I think all he was gonna say was something along the lines of, "are scouts sometimes biased due to their teams' potential on landing a player?".

I was referring to Law. He basically said that he was offended that Chuck would ask him if the scouts were basically lying to Law, and he fell for it.

In any event, Law came off as a real jagbag in my opinion.

Why would anyone get angry over the opinion of a person regarding an international player when that person is not an international scout nor has never seen the player?

He is talking outside of his area of expertise. I'm not sure why he would have even offered an opinion on the matter. I'm also not sure why he was asked for his opinion on the matter.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ May 24, 2017 -> 01:36 PM)
Wasn't Keith Law a pro scout for the Blue Jays when they were f***ing terrible?

If he is a top-tier talent evaluator, wouldn't/shouldn't he be doing it professionally for a major league team, even at the executive level given his age/experience?

If I had to listen to that guys voice everyday, I'd want to kick dogs, and I adore dogs.

QUOTE (Superstar Lamar @ May 24, 2017 -> 01:41 PM)
Why would anyone get angry over the opinion of a person regarding an international player when that person is not an international scout nor has never seen the player?

He is talking outside of his area of expertise. I'm not sure why he would have even offered an opinion on the matter. I'm also not sure why he was asked for his opinion on the matter.

He's not unqualified. His information came from international scouts.

People don't want to hear the antithesis to what they believe.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 23, 2017 -> 05:38 PM)
You do know he's kidding, right? He's been getting tweets from Sox fans all day asking why he hates the Sox because they read his write-up on Robert whom he's been less than impressed with since this whole thing started.

The only national writer I've ever thought really had an anti-Sox lean was Dayn Perry though I can't remember the specifics so it may have just been youthful naivete.

I doubt this as he lives in Chicago and often speaks well of the Sox on the Fangraphs Audio episodes he does. His son I believe is a Cardinals fan (might be his wife's doing).

Keith Law's conclusion:

"I think his contract is commensurate with what previous players have been paid for their skills, but when you look at past production on those deals and very real concerns about Robert’s present hit tool, the odds are that the White Sox won’t get adequate return on this investment."

Did the White Sox make a $25 million mistake on the last big-money Cuban position player? (ESPN Insider article)

http://www.scout.com/mlb/cardinals/forums/...321&page=17

Of course, he doesn't mention that we're not talking about putting that amount of money into a 1st round draft pick...it's a situation where Robert was the very final "high impact" Latin American/intl free agent in these exact same circumstances that wouldn't cost anything other than financial resources for the team to procure. How much higher is the cost to acquire top 5-10% MLB free agent talent (often over age 30 and declining), especially when there's huge overpay on the back end or you lose the player when you most need him due to opt out clauses working in his favor?

Edited by caulfield12