Reverse Standings Thread

Bob Sacamano

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 23, 2017 -> 05:37 PM)
At this point I'm just hoping they end up with Beer as either an underslot or he develops his defense to stick in the OF.

Considering the best player in franchise history was a DH, if his bat plays, his bat plays.

If the sox are really top3 at the end of the year I would prefer a guy who can do it on both sides of the ball like kris bryant. I don't want glove first guys but there are only so many spots for corner types. if beer has another monster season I would take a chance but if he is just good I would prefer a guy who can play the infield.

I know you should go best player and not by team need but we don't live in 2010m when the best player was determined by OPS. modern metrics show that position and defense matters and there is a reason why the trade market for bat first sluggers is so bad.

if you are frank thomas defense doesn't matter but if your bat first type "only" has a good 800 OPS he basically is an average player. those players seem to be safe bets but to be really productive the bats need to be really good.

Edited by GermanSock

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just tank baby this season is lost and most won't remember beating the cubs this series but come next June all will be wishing we had the largest bonus pool and the option of choosing Singer/Turang/Beer first.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 10:00 AM)
Just tank baby this season is lost and most won't remember beating the cubs this series but come next June all will be wishing we had the largest bonus pool and the option of choosing Singer/Turang/Beer first.

I agree. If the Sox have a 13 game losing streak heading in to the Tribe series on Friday...that's ok.

QUOTE (Soha @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 10:27 AM)
I agree. If the Sox have a 13 game losing streak heading in to the Tribe series on Friday...that's ok.

Once Swarzak is gone our bullpen will be totally gutted. That, coupled with a weak rotation will have other teams feasting on our thin pitching staff.

We are very much headed towards a top three draft pick, with a real chance at #1 overall.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 12:11 PM)
Once Swarzak is gone our bullpen will be totally gutted. That, coupled with a weak rotation will have other teams feasting on our thin pitching staff.

We are very much headed towards a top three draft pick, with a real chance at #1 overall.

Exactly. Maybe Rodon finds a groove after a while, but after that the Sox should be favored to lose all of their remaining games. Obviously there will be some wins sprinkled in here or there, but top 3 seems like a lock, and depending how bad Philly and SF make themselves, at least pick 2 seems probable.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 12:22 PM)
Even if they don't get the 1st pick this year, it's no big, because they will absolutely get it next year. If you think the Sox are bad now, just wait.

I don't know how they could possibly be worse next year than they are now. I mean, we have 5 bad starters right now and a gutted bullpen. Even if a few of these guys come up and struggle badly, how much worse can they be than the garbage we're watching now?

QUOTE (Soha @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 12:27 PM)
I don't know how they could possibly be worse next year than they are now. I mean, we have 5 bad starters right now and a gutted bullpen. Even if a few of these guys come up and struggle badly, how much worse can they be than the garbage we're watching now?

A team full of rookies and reclamations is going to be really ugly next year.

QUOTE (Soha @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 12:27 PM)

You won't have the decency of the dearly departed. Robertson, Kahnle, Swarzak, Q.....without those guys, this team would be even worse, and no one would worry about draft pick position. It would be etched in stone. The team hasn't won a game since the 2 trades.

QUOTE (Soha @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 10:27 AM)

At least we had Robertson, Q and other professionals for half a season. Won't even have that next season. Hahn will pick up some scraps off the FA heap to round out the roster next season but I don't see them being major upgrades over what we see now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 12:31 PM)
You won't have the decency of the dearly departed. Robertson, Kahnle, Swarzak, Q.....without those guys, this team would be even worse, and no one would worry about draft pick position. It would be etched in stone. The team hasn't won a game since the 2 trades.

That was kind of my thought. They haven't won a game in 16 days. This is as low as it's going to get. But yeah, I get that the record might be a little worse because of the first few months this season.

Edited by Soha

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 12:32 PM)
At least we had Robertson, Q and other professionals for half a season. Won't even have that next season. Hahn will pick up some scraps off the FA heap to round out the roster next season but I don't see them being major upgrades over what we see now.

We had Robertson, Kahnle, Frazier, Quintana helping to provide some level of stability to the roster in the first half. Hard to peg where we end up exactly, but right around 60 wins is looking to be realistic.

2018 is going to be painful, but at least we are fully prepared for that going in. Our minor league talent should ideally be one step closer to the majors next season, with many ETA's in late 2018 or 2019.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 12:50 PM)
We had Robertson, Kahnle, Frazier, Quintana helping to provide some level of stability to the roster in the first half. Hard to peg where we end up exactly, but right around 60 wins is looking to be realistic.

2018 is going to be painful, but at least we are fully prepared for that going in. Our minor league talent should ideally be one step closer to the majors next season, with many ETA's in late 2018 or 2019.

Yes. If the Sox made those trades the day before the season started, they most likely have the worst record in baseball right now.

I think the giants are too talented to stay there especially with bumgarner gone.

The main competition are the phillies and I still think the padres. Preller will probably trade all of his bullpen. The reds are also right in it.

Edited by GermanSock