Reverse Standings Thread

Bob Sacamano

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 08:32 AM)
Phillies. It goes by the order from previous draft.

Lets not leave anything to chance then. We need to finish off this season' tank job to get #1 overall. Then Soxtalk will have something juicy to talk about all winter/spring.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 09:15 AM)
Because if we only get the number two pick, we won't Obsess about it at all.

Haha it doesn't really matter as long as we draft top 3. It's all about the bonus pool allocation though. It starts to drop off pretty steadily.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 09:18 AM)
It

Haha it doesn't really matter as long as we draft top 3. It's all about the bonus pool allocation though. It starts to drop off pretty steadily.

Yes, but if you are drafting BPA, and I have no idea why you wouldn't with a top 3 pick, most of that pool is eaten up giving the draftees anywhere near their slot, which I think most expect.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 09:22 AM)
Yes, but if you are drafting BPA, and I have no idea why you wouldn't with a top 3 pick, most of that pool is eaten up giving the draftees anywhere near their slot, which I think most expect.

Perhaps, but it still gives you options later in the draft as you get the highest bonus pool slot for each round.

#1 overall would be a nice boost to this rebuild

At this point I'll be shocked if we don't get the #1 pick. I think the Phillies underperformed in the first half (and by Baseruns they're 7 games below where they "should" be right now) and with this bullpen we're going to blow a lot of the few leads we're going to have the rest of the season.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:28 AM)
At this point I'll be shocked if we don't get the #1 pick. I think the Phillies underperformed in the first half (and by Baseruns they're 7 games below where they "should" be right now) and with this bullpen we're going to blow a lot of the few leads we're going to have the rest of the season.

Giants too I think underperformed.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:28 AM)

Same. Granted the padres just unloaded 3 useful players but to the extent the white sox overperformed in the first half it was because of a good bullpen. This bullpen will be the worst i've ever seen, and imo the big reason we underperformed the last 2 years was lack of a truly good bullpen.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:50 AM)
Same. Granted the padres just unloaded 3 useful players but to the extent the white sox overperformed in the first half it was because of a good bullpen. This bullpen will be the worst i've ever seen, and imo the big reason we underperformed the last 2 years was lack of a truly good bullpen.

Add in the fact the rotation is trash and the lineup is awful (no Avi for 2 weeks makes it even worse along with Melky possibly being traded soon), we could get the #1 pick.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:53 AM)
Add in the fact the rotation is trash and the lineup is awful (no Avi for 2 weeks makes it even worse), we could get the #1 pick.

I have no idea how this team wins a game the next couple weeks. Obviously they'll stumble into one at some point but goodness.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:50 AM)

I'm not too worried about the Padres. What's crazy is that they're actually 29-27 in their last 58 games. Yeah they lost Cahill and will probably lose Hand but I can't see us being 4 games better than them the rest of the way. I think the biggest threat besides the Phillies is the Reds.

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 02:06 PM)
Giving Hahn a 10 at this point.

Since they've declared a rebuild, the amount of talent he's stockpiled is astounding.

Nobody can fault Hahn and say he did not try his absolute best with this rebuild. In 12 months he has completely tore this team down and restocked the farm as well as we could have imagined.

Now we just have to suck the rest of 2017 and 2018, then be in a better place for 2019. Looking at the Central, the Royals and Tigers will likely not be contenders then, the Twins and Indians will likely be competitive though.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 06:13 AM)
Fangraphs has the Sox and Phillies projected to finish with identical 62-100 records. Every loss from here on out matters.

http://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=Standings

After the Jennings trade, the standings updated and still have the Phillies at 62-100, but have the Sox finishing at 63-99. Addition by subtraction?

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 03:09 PM)
After the Jennings trade, the standings updated and still have the Phillies at 62-100, but have the Sox finishing at 63-99. Addition by subtraction?

I'm finding a hard time believing we manage to finish 24-40 the rest of the season given the state of our pitching staff, especially bullpen.

We face the dodgers, astros twice, red sox, twins, indians twice, rays royals, etc.

We are not winning more than 22 more games I would bet.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 04:29 PM)
I'm finding a hard time believing we manage to finish 24-40 the rest of the season given the state of our pitching staff, especially bullpen.

We face the dodgers, astros twice, red sox, twins, indians twice, rays royals, etc.

We are not winning more than 22 more games I would bet.

Just wait until Melky is gone and maybe Tyler or Yolmer as well. I have to say, I doubted the Sox would commit to this rebuild enough to be truly terrible and lose around 100 games. But, that's where they are. There is HUGE value in getting into the top 3 spots in the draft, much moreso than say 6th or 7th.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 03:32 PM)
Just wait until Melky is gone and maybe Tyler or Yolmer as well. I have to say, I doubted the Sox would commit to this rebuild enough to be truly terrible and lose around 100 games. But, that's where they are. There is HUGE value in getting into the top 3 spots in the draft, much moreso than say 6th or 7th.

Look at our remaining schedule and try to make up 24 wins...I'm struggling to find them. We will lose nearly every close bullpen as ours is easily the worst in the AL.

The Phillies also have what I would consider to be a much weaker schedule coming up against Braves, Angels, Mets, Padres, Giants, alot of the marlins, A's

I really think we end up with #1 pick

Edited by steveno89