Reverse Standings Thread

Bob Sacamano

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 05:33 PM)
Its convenient that 2, maybe 3, of these guys will be full time players for the Sox by the time we are actually ready to compete. The team was mismanaged for nearly a decade and there was no going back. Just have to accept that the team had to get worse before they get better. It's a part of sports in this day and age.

Yes but learning how to win is important. When you supposedly have the top one or two farm system and each of your 3 most advanced teams are at least 20 games below .500, and your major league team ready to lose over 100 games, learning how to win may be a tough one.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 06:24 PM)
Anyone hoping the Sox do this again next year is out of their minds.

Presently, they are the worst team in baseball by a pretty large margin. They aren't going to add front line free agents. Some prospects will get the call. Some guys will probably improve, but 2018 is going to be painful from a won loss perspective. They will draft high again.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 06:36 PM)
Ehhh I wouldn't say that. I've seen people rooting for #1 overall in 2019 already.

The Sox already have a pretty good shot at getting the #1 in 2019 without people rooting for it.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 06:37 PM)
The Sox already have a pretty good shot at getting the #1 in 2019 without people rooting for it.

I agree. Right now you are looking at a 110 loss roster. You figure Anderson will be better. Moncada will be better. But the rest is flippable free agents and Charlotte Knights. The Knights are 20 games under .500. I don't think they have the guys that make this anything less than a 95 loss team and probably worse.

Presently, they are the worst team in baseball by a pretty large margin. They aren't going to add front line free agents. Some prospects will get the call. Some guys will probably improve, but 2018 is going to be painful from a won loss perspective. They will draft high again.

You cannot pretend to know what the White Sox offseason strategy will be. They are maybe the most unpredictable front office in the game. raBBit, who clearly has as good an inside scoop on this franchise as about anyone, said they would never deal with the Cubs...then lo and behold. You argue whether they should or should not sign free agents but to assume that they wont be active in free agency is a baseless presumption. Especially with all the payroll they'll have available.

In any case, cream will rise to the top as it always does in baseball. Even teams like the Padres that are desperately trying to be as bad as possible eventually churn through their AAA roster and minor league free agents enough to eventually find something that plays major league baseball. Maybe it doesn't play major league baseball well, but they are nowhere near as bad as what the White Sox are now. For the next two months the Sox are open tryouts for the majors, anyone who gives even an inkling that they can hack it in the majors is gonna get a shot. From that point they either succeed, or they dont and someone else takes their place. This process repeats itself enough and you find major league ballplayers.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 06:36 PM)
Ehhh I wouldn't say that. I've seen people rooting for #1 overall in 2019 already.

I need to see links for this. I've seen a couple of posters mention top 5 before, but nothing suckier than that.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 06:47 PM)
You cannot pretend to know what the White Sox offseason strategy will be. They are maybe the most unpredictable front office in the game. raBBit, who clearly has as good an inside scoop on this franchise as about anyone, said they would never deal with the Cubs...then lo and behold. You argue whether they should or should not sign free agents but to assume that they wont be active in free agency is a baseless presumption. Especially with all the payroll they'll have available.

What front line FA (which is what DA was saying) are the sox going to sign? Hahn has already kept his word with what their plans have been (and are) this year and next. He put the "not dealing with Cubs" rumors to rest MONTHS before the Q deal. They've already had more leaks with deals this year (that have been TRUE) than I can remember and their draft plans (and international signings, hello Robert) more than when I was on FS covering spects.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 06:40 PM)
I agree. Right now you are looking at a 110 loss roster. You figure Anderson will be better. Moncada will be better. But the rest is flippable free agents and Charlotte Knights. The Knights are 20 games under .500. I don't think they have the guys that make this anything less than a 95 loss team and probably worse.

If Lopez comes up and pitches well, Giolito maybe makes the team and does well, Rodon continues his progress....I think it's very possible this team falls in the 5-10 range next year. The SP stands a chance of being improved tremendously.

There is a vast difference between hoping for a number one pick after next season and accepting that it is a good possibility that they will have a high pick because of how bad they will be. Alexi, they are not loading up this offseason, you can put that pipe dream to bed

QUOTE (Soha @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 07:08 PM)
If Lopez comes up and pitches well, Giolito maybe makes the team and does well, Rodon continues his progress....I think it's very possible this team falls in the 5-10 range next year. The SP stands a chance of being improved tremendously.

Young hard throwers generally struggle their fist go around in the bigs and even if they pitch well unless you spend $50 million on the bullpen we'll still have a pretty terrible all around staff.

This is the bottom for the Sox. They cannot afford to intentionally tank the team once again in 2018. The fans will notbstand for it.

It looks like the Sox have decent talent right now at all positions That can only improve if some of the highly rated prospects get promoted.

But just as wee see now, pitching will be the key. Let's see Reynaldo Lopez, Kopech and Goilito this season. Bring them up and see what they have. A healthy Rodon to start the season with a couple of the prospects filling a few spots in the rotation would be better than what we have seen this year.

I'm not predicting they will be .500 next season, but I would be surprised if they suk this bad again.

It'll be a tank this year, then a top 10-12 pick next year, in my opinion. 2018-19 is going to be the free agent class we go hard on. 2017-18 free agency may be a guy that can contribute in some way on the '19 squad, but I think it'll mainly be depth guy signings. This upcoming offseason is kind of meh, 2018-19 is the one to go after.

Edited by Soxnfins

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 08:02 PM)
This is the bottom for the Sox. They cannot afford to intentionally tank the team once again in 2018. The fans will notbstand for it.

It looks like the Sox have decent talent right now at all positions That can only improve if some of the highly rated prospects get promoted.

But just as wee see now, pitching will be the key. Let's see Reynaldo Lopez, Kopech and Goilito this season. Bring them up and see what they have. A healthy Rodon to start the season with a couple of the prospects filling a few spots in the rotation would be better than what we have seen this year.

I'm not predicting they will be .500 next season, but I would be surprised if they suk this bad again.

If they accepted the wonderful 2015 and 2016 seasons, then a season looking forwards to Jiminez's september callup will be acceptable.

Most of the fans get it. Most

The bottom would be falling below Miami, Oakland and Tampa Bay.

That's simply not going to happen.

The one thing that does need to happen is hitting at least triples on their next two high first round draft picks and looking like they will be a very competitive team in 2020 during at least the second half of the 2019 season.

2019 is like 2014 was for the Cubs and Astros, but odds are that 2020 is the year.

Being mindful how important the new tv contract will be, you can bet they make at least one splashy addition going into 2019, if not 2. The money will be there. 2018 will be the rock bottom year for attendance/revenues.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 08:05 PM)
I think we'll be better next year but our bullpen may be just as bad so I don't know if our record would show it.

You have to assume Fulmer, Danish, Guerrero, Adams...some of those secondary arms will make an impact as they get extended trials in the pen and spot starts. (Losing Burdi is a blow that can't be ignored, either).

Then you have Jones, Putnam (50/50) and Petricka pushing to be traded.

And certainly they'll throw everything at the wall with waiver moves, trying to discover another Kahnle, Jenks or Santos.

Wouldn't be a shocker to see Hector Santiago back in a swingman role, either. Maybe Covey can be effective in one inning bursts in the upper 90's?

Edited by caulfield12

Tanking isn't a one year process. It will be years before this team isn't bad again.

QUOTE (Soxnfins @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 08:08 PM)
It'll be a tank this year, then a top 10-12 pick next year, in my opinion. 2018-19 is going to be the free agent class we go hard on. 2017-18 free agency may be a guy that can contribute in some way on the '19 squad, but I think it'll mainly be depth guy signings. This upcoming offseason is kind of meh, 2018-19 is the one to go after.

How? This team is going to have the same core, plus Lopez and maybe Giolito for the majority of the year. No one else is coming to help for the first half of the season except more scrap heap guys.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 09:30 PM)
How? This team is going to have the same core, plus Lopez and maybe Giolito for the majority of the year. No one else is coming to help for the first half of the season except more scrap heap guys.

Not that they are likely to be big impacts. But the Sox are probably going to buy some potential flippable free agents this winter.They absolutely could help win some games at least. The odds are they will focus on the bullpen - since many other position they might want to fill with homegrown players.