Reverse Standings Thread

Bob Sacamano

QUOTE (ron883 @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 02:10 AM)
These wins are really hurting. Hopefully it ends with an overpay by some team for avi

We will end up picking 4 or 5 but that's okay. There are no clear cut picks this year anyway. It's more important for Moncada, Jose, Avi, Lucas, Rey, TA and other future pieces to play very well than to get a few picks higher. Lucas pitching well is a blessing because most people wrote him off as a top end starter. If he becomes a solid 2 then we are really on our way with this staff.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 04:25 PM)
It would really suck to fall back to 4 or even 5, there often is a big drop off in quality after the top3 picks and the bonus money also gets worse.

Really 4 or 10 isn't that big of a difference, the biggest gaps in talent you find at the top.

Doesn't mean you cant find a star at 4 but generally the expectation shifts from star to average regular when you go back to the mid part of the top10.

Oh I disagree...it's really a crap shoot with any of these guys. But having Singer, Turang, Kelenic, Rocker, Gray, Beer, Hankins, Kowar? Would I rather pick 2nd or 3rd...sure. But it's not the end of the world. Honestly...I'd rather see this group of guys finish the season having great success and carrying it over into next year...than wallow to the finish line. But honestly...the remaining schedule after Detroit is no picnic. Sox will be fine...

QUOTE (Superstar Lamar @ Sep 15, 2017 -> 01:17 PM)
It's amusing to see the year start off with people hoping the Sox would be in a position to draft Beer and ending with them hoping to not be in a position to draft him

Goes to show you how fickle this all is. There are Sox fans on Twitter who berate other fans for wanting guys like Beer instead of Kelenic or Turang, which is also pretty foolish IMO- what if Beer has a huge 2018 for Clemson and raises his stock again? So much can change between now and draft day.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 05:25 PM)
It would really suck to fall back to 4 or even 5, there often is a big drop off in quality after the top3 picks and the bonus money also gets worse.

Really 4 or 10 isn't that big of a difference, the biggest gaps in talent you find at the top.

Doesn't mean you cant find a star at 4 but generally the expectation shifts from star to average regular when you go back to the mid part of the top10.

....what?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 15, 2017 -> 01:19 PM)
Goes to show you how fickle this all is. There are Sox fans on Twitter who berate other fans for wanting guys like Beer instead of Kelenic or Turang, which is also pretty foolish IMO- what if Beer has a huge 2018 for Clemson and raises his stock again? So much can change between now and draft day.

Maybe, but Beer is performing poorly with wooden bats for 2nd year in a row. And has no positional versatility. I really would not be surprised if he ends up dropping hard. He was hitting something like under .200 with the USA team.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 15, 2017 -> 01:19 PM)

I don't think it was a "WE NEED BEER" campaign. It was more "we want the #1 pick and as of 1.5 years before the draft it looks like Beer is the #1 pick and has a funny name" campaign.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 15, 2017 -> 12:06 PM)
I don't think it was a "WE NEED BEER" campaign. It was more "we want the #1 pick and as of 1.5 years before the draft it looks like Beer is the #1 pick and has a funny name" campaign.

Truth.

Tank for Beer is catchy where as "Tank for the Draft" is not.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 15, 2017 -> 02:19 PM)

Beer drops hard a la Alec Hansen.

Take Turang and Beer. Everyone wins.

Friday:

Won- Tigers, Reds, A's, Braves

Lost- Giants, Phillies, White Sox, Mets, Padres, Pirates

16 days left

Team (Games left) - Sox Magic Number to have higher pick:

1. Giants(13) - 17 (-3.0 GB)

2. Phillies(15) - 18 (-3.0 GB)

3. White Sox(15)

4. Tigers(15) - 13 (+3.0 GA)

5. Mets(15) - 11

6. Reds(14) - 11

7. Padres(15) - 10

8. A's(15) - 10

9. Braves(16) - 8

10. Pirates(14) - 6

Saturday:

Won- Phillies, White Sox, Reds, Mets

Lost- Giants, Tigers, A's, Padres, Braves, Pirates

15 days left

1. Giants(12) - 17 (-4.0 GB)

2. Phillies(14) - 17 (-3.0 GB)

3. White Sox(14)

4. Tigers(14) - 13 (+2.0 GA)

5. Mets(14) - 10

6. Reds(13) - 10

7. Padres(14) - 10

8. A's(14) - 10

9. Braves(15) - 8

10. Pirates(13) - 6

QUOTE (Wanne @ Sep 15, 2017 -> 12:25 PM)
Oh I disagree...it's really a crap shoot with any of these guys. But having Singer, Turang, Kelenic, Rocker, Gray, Beer, Hankins, Kowar? Would I rather pick 2nd or 3rd...sure. But it's not the end of the world. Honestly...I'd rather see this group of guys finish the season having great success and carrying it over into next year...than wallow to the finish line. But honestly...the remaining schedule after Detroit is no picnic. Sox will be fine...

Here is the stats.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-changin...of-draft-picks/

7 or 11 is not a big difference but after the first 2-3 there is the biggest drop off. After 10 or so the level drops of quite gradually.

Btw very important loss today. A loss against Detroit basically counts twice.

Sunday:

Won- Giants, Tigers, Mets, Reds, A's, Padres

Lost- Phillies, White Sox, Braves, Pirates

14 days left

1. Giants(11) - 15 (-3.0 GB)

2. Phillies(13) - 16 (-3.0 GB)

3. White Sox(13)

4. Tigers(13) - 11 (+3.0 GA)

5. Mets(13) - 8

6. Reds(12) - 8

7. Padres(13) - 8

8. A's(13) - 8

9. Braves(14) - 7

10. Pirates(12) - 5

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Sep 17, 2017 -> 11:21 PM)
Sox and Phillies lost, Giants and Tigers won.

2.5 game lead on Detroit for the 3rd pick

2.5 GB of the Phillies for the 2nd pick

3 GB of the Giants for the 1st pick

13 games left for the Sox.

Can we just go 0-13 and end this year right? :lolhitting

Remaining schedules:

Sox 3 @ Astros, 3 vs. Royals, 3 vs. Angels, 3 @ Indians

Phillies 4 vs. Dodgers, 3 @ Braves, 3 vs. Nationals, 3 vs. Mets

Giants 2 vs. Rockies, 3 @ Dodgers, 3 @ DBacks, 3 vs. Padres

Tigers 3 vs. A's, 3 vs. Twins, 3 @ Royals, 3 @ Twins

Still an outside chance of #2 pick, I think they could potentially jump the Phillies, but it's looking like 3 will be the pick.

The next few weeks are do or die. It's time for the Sox to pitch Covey on 3 days rest a few times. And maybe bring Holland back on a 2 week contract to finish the season :lol:

Seriously, I think falling to 4th is more likely than moving up to first or second. But it's still possible either way. Hopefully the Astros don't back down because they clinched their division. They still can catch Cleveland for best record in AL.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 18, 2017 -> 10:21 AM)
I'm going to trust the Tigers to go 4-9. If the Sox go 6-7, they'll hang on to the 3rd pick. Big split in Detroit this past weekend. Needed that.

We did need that bigtime. But the Sox going 6-7 is a coin flip. They just won 6 of 8 before yesterday.

The only tough games left are the 3 with the Astros. After that they have 7 games against blah teams at home (Royals and Angels), then 3 to finish the season against a Tribe team that will be setting itself up for the playoffs. But yeah, it can happen. I'm going to be happy when this is over. I'm tired of stressing out over the pick :lol: