Reverse Standings Thread

Bob Sacamano

QUOTE (Lillian @ Sep 28, 2017 -> 09:18 AM)
One way to look at it is that the Draft could be divided into 4 categories: Best H. S. pitcher, best H.S. position player and the same for the Top College prospects.

So, even picking 4TH, you have the best of one of those categories, at a minimum. That should console those who are so disappointed that the Sox Draft position is slipping. Moreover, there is no consensus #1, 2 or 3.

Hey, those who want Beer may get your wish. He could be a reasonable pick at around $5.

I saw a mock draft from August that projected us to pick him at #2. I don't think I ever saw that posted here. I can't see him going top 5 unless he has another monster year.

Source: http://www.mymlbdraft.com/MLB-Mock-Draft

Edited by soxfan2014

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lillian @ Sep 28, 2017 -> 09:18 AM)
One way to look at it is that the Draft could be divided into 4 categories: Best H. S. pitcher, best H.S. position player and the same for the Top College prospects.

So, even picking 4TH, you have the best of one of those categories, at a minimum. That should console those who are so disappointed that the Sox Draft position is slipping. Moreover, there is no consensus #1, 2 or 3.

Hey, those who want Beer may get your wish. He could be a reasonable pick at around $5.

I agree. I'm down for picking whoever. But the more we drop the more sense it makes to draft Beer and sign him slightly under slot while then going overslot on the 2nd round. You draft maybe one of the best college hitters we've seen in a long long time. I like it.

I'll settle this once and for all with one simple question to all the people who are upset that we'll most likely pick 4th instead of 2nd or 3rd (I think we all conceded the top pick to SF a while back - though this tigers drop off has been out of the blue and sudden)

Name the top 5 prospects in the draft by name and position without looking it up... I know the names Turang and Singer off the top of my head..

Exactly.

In April it was TANK FOR BEER!!! Well guess what he's supposedly a mid to late 1st round pick now. Trout was what? 23rd?

Pick 1 and 2 in 2014 was Brady Aiken and Tyler Kolek. Unless there is a Harper, Bryant, etc. at the top there are very few sure guys. From what I understand there are MANY solid players in this draft with no real standout. I wouldn't be surprised if the top pick 3 years from now was from someone who picked 10-20..

Let's look at the top prospects in all of baseball...

Torres - signed

Robles - signed

Vlad Jr - signed

Eloy - signed

Acuna - signed

Rodgers - 1st (3rd)

Tucker - 1st (5th)

Senzel - 1st (2nd)

Kopech - 1st 33rd)

Buehler 24

Honeywell 72

Brinson 29

My point? You have to trust our scouts ... This isn't the NBA where one player like Lebron wins you a championship. This isn't like NFL and NBA where a likely consensus top 3 guy is a guarantee.. the 1st round and top picks are littered with injuries and burn outs...

if there is something to get bent out of shape about it is that our signing slots are less with each pick down...

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Sep 28, 2017 -> 10:05 AM)
I'll settle this once and for all with one simple question to all the people who are upset that we'll most likely pick 4th instead of 2nd or 3rd (I think we all conceded the top pick to SF a while back - though this tigers drop off has been out of the blue and sudden)

Name the top 5 prospects in the draft by name and position without looking it up... I know the names Turang and Singer off the top of my head..

Exactly.

In April it was TANK FOR BEER!!! Well guess what he's supposedly a mid to late 1st round pick now. Trout was what? 23rd?

Pick 1 and 2 in 2014 was Brady Aiken and Tyler Kolek. Unless there is a Harper, Bryant, etc. at the top there are very few sure guys. From what I understand there are MANY solid players in this draft with no real standout. I wouldn't be surprised if the top pick 3 years from now was from someone who picked 10-20..

Torres - signed

Robles - signed

Vlad Jr - signed

Eloy - signed

Acuna - signed

Rodgers - 1st (3rd)

Tucker - 1st (5th)

Senzel - 1st (2nd)

Kopech - 1st 33rd)

Buehler 24

Honeywell 72

Brinson 29

My point? You have to trust our scouts ... This isn't the NBA where one player like Lebron wins you a championship. This isn't like NFL and NBA where a likely consensus top 3 guy is a guarantee.. the 1st round and top picks are littered with injuries and burn outs...

if there is something to get bent out of shape about it is that our signing slots are less with each pick down...

Look at the past. the higher pick you have the higher liklihood of actually hitting on that pick. Pick #1 has a better history than pick #26 for example and so on and so on.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Sep 28, 2017 -> 10:05 AM)

Exactly.

Torres - signed

Robles - signed

Vlad Jr - signed

Eloy - signed

Acuna - signed

Rodgers - 1st (3rd)

Tucker - 1st (5th)

Senzel - 1st (2nd)

Kopech - 1st 33rd)

Buehler 24

Honeywell 72

Brinson 29

Yes, you have to trust your scouts. The #1 pick gives those scouts a 100% chance of getting the guy they want.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Sep 28, 2017 -> 10:19 AM)
Look at the past. the higher pick you have the higher liklihood of actually hitting on that pick. Pick #1 has a better history than pick #26 for example and so on and so on.

And even more projectionable than that are kids who are in the upper minors or already with your ballclub.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2017 -> 08:45 AM)
And even more projectionable than that are kids who are in the upper minors or already with your ballclub.

Right, guys that are on the team now have already beaten some pretty bad odds. This isn't to say that guys drafted at the top of round 1 can't do the same (and don't have a better chance than those drafted after them) but like you and I and others have been saying, the success of guys like Giolito, Lopez, Moncada, Delmonico, Avi, and heck, even Yolmer and Leury one could argue, is so much more important than the difference between the player taken at 4 or 5 versus taken at 2 or 3 (in fact, there may be zero difference, as we might end up taking the same guy irregardless).

That doesn't mean I enjoy being passed by the Tigers, and I actually am looking forward to the season ending so this "tension" can be over.

Hopefully this will be the last season for a very long time that we care so much about draft position.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 28, 2017 -> 10:25 AM)
How good would Houston be with Rodon and Bryant in their fold?

That's the thing though...they had the draft position to take both and took neither.

It just goes to show that it isn't necessarily whether you choose 1 or 3, you may end up getting the player you wanted anyway.

The Sox claim they had Collins as their #1 prospect two years ago and got him at 11.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 28, 2017 -> 12:28 PM)
That's the thing though...they had the draft position to take both and took neither.

It just goes to show that it isn't necessarily whether you choose 1 or 3, you may end up getting the player you wanted anyway.

The Sox claim they had Collins as their #1 prospect two years ago and got him at 11.

Yeah, I don't buy the Collins thing. Maybe they meant #1 given their draft position, but if they had the #1 pick, they wouldn't be picking him.

Edited by ron883

Does anyone know approximately how many picks there are going to be betweem the first and second round? I'm trying to figure out where our second round pick is likely to be. From what I understand the competitive balance B picks from last year will be after the first and there were 8 of those last year, but I don't know if that changes from year to year. There are also picks for qualifying offer free agents that sign for more than $50mil guranteed for revenue sharing payee teams, but I don't know what teams those are or if they have any players that are likely to meet that number.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Sep 28, 2017 -> 10:41 AM)
BA College Top 50 Draft Prospects 2018

FYI, Seth Beer checks in at #17

Hell... maybe it isn't so asinine to pine for him to have a mediocre season this upcoming year - allowing us to pluck him early in the second round... ala the surprise Hanson 2016 third round pickup. :ph34r:

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 28, 2017 -> 11:09 AM)
Hell... maybe it isn't so asinine to pine for him to have a mediocre season this upcoming year - allowing us to pluck him early in the second round... ala the surprise Hanson 2016 third round pickup. :ph34r:

Collins was first

Burdi was a comp

Hansen was the third pick by the White Sox but as a second rounder

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Sep 28, 2017 -> 01:12 PM)
Rather have Collins than the guy who went 1.1 as of now.

Who? Mickey Moniak, Phillies??

Agree. Just looked up his stats. Pretty ordinary numbers in Sally League this year. Still awfully young, though. Numbers are a bit lower than Rutherford's, for example.

1. Giants 62-97

2. Tigers 63-96

3. Phillies 64-95

4. White Sox 66-93

5. Reds 67-92*

6. Mets 69-90

7. Padres 70-89

8. Braves 71-88

9. Pirates 73-86

10. A's 74-85

11. Marlins 75-84

12. Orioles 75-84

13. Blue Jays 75-84

14. Rangers 76-83

15. Rays 77-82

16. Mariners 77-82

17. Angels 78-81

18. Royals 78-81

* Reds need to be 1 game worse than the Sox in the last 3 games to have a higher pick

Edited by flavum