Reverse Standings Thread

Bob Sacamano

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 10:12 PM)
A lot of rankings have Beer as a reach for a 2nd, 3rd pick

It all depends on the next season. Beer was ranked so high because he had that outstanding freshman year. Most are not that good their first year.

Last year was good but a step back. To be in conversation for first overall again he needs a monster year and basically be clearly the nest college hitter by some margin because he is a corner of at best.

Usually those guys don't get drafted first overall, but if he is projected as a generational hitter that doesn't matter. But if he just has a very good season (20hr, 1000 ops) he could probably fall to late top10.

I would actually like if they got turang. Usually you should not go by need but the sox system has absolutely nothing at shortstop and shortstops are the most valuable prospects as they can also move to every other position except catcher.

So if turang is one of the 5 best players why not go for him?

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 03:32 AM)
It all depends on the next season. Beer was ranked so high because he had that outstanding freshman year. Most are not that good their first year.

Last year was good but a step back. To be in conversation for first overall again he needs a monster year and basically be clearly the nest college hitter by some margin because he is a corner of at best.

Usually those guys don't get drafted first overall, but if he is projected as a generational hitter that doesn't matter. But if he just has a very good season (20hr, 1000 ops) he could probably fall to late top10.

I would actually like if they got turang. Usually you should not go by need but the sox system has absolutely nothing at shortstop and shortstops are the most valuable prospects as they can also move to every other position except catcher.

Because Tank for Turang doesn't sound as cool? I have confidence the Sox will make the right decision, irrespective of what we all theorize, and shortstop is a weakness.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 08:54 AM)
Padres and Giants open a crucial four game series tonight.

I would not be surprised if we are very much in contention for the #1 overall pick, especially if we are able to move Melky/Swarzak/Avi/Abreu. We are at 38 wins, and I have my doubts that we will get to 60.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 03:32 AM)

Umm, if he's the clear cut BPA then fine. But you better not pass up BPA for a need in the top 5 of the draft. That would be crazy IMO.

QUOTE (Soha @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 09:25 AM)
Umm, if he's the clear cut BPA then fine. But you better not pass up BPA for a need in the top 5 of the draft. That would be crazy IMO.

The only exception for me is if they go fielding over pitching. I can understand either way with that. Otherwise, BPA.

tankforbeer is a movement which should really say "tankforbpa" but that doesn't sound as good.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 09:27 AM)
The only exception for me is if they go fielding over pitching. I can understand either way with that. Otherwise, BPA.

tankforbeer is a movement which should really say "tankforbpa" but that doesn't sound as good.

My thought is if you're picking in the top 5 - you need to try to draft a franchise altering star talent. You don't go messing around picking preferable positions in that case.

But yeah, if the bat looks good I wouldn't mind avoiding a pitcher. There are so many more health risks and bust factors with pitchers compared to hitters.

we're gonna have a real shot at this. Especially when/if a couple guys like melky get moved. Would not be surprised to see other guys like abreu shut down for some borderline injury at some point either

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 22, 2017 -> 09:37 PM)
we're gonna have a real shot at this. Especially when/if a couple guys like melky get moved. Would not be surprised to see other guys like abreu shut down for some borderline injury at some point either

Yes they are. The team is 38-56 currently with 68 games left. 24-44 finish really isn't out of the question. That's 100 losses

It doesn't appear that the next Draft has any clear #1, at least not yet. If there are several players, especially a mix of position players and pitchers, whom are all regarded as being of similar potential, what's wrong with prioritizing need, or giving deference to some organizational strategy?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 23, 2017 -> 04:40 AM)
Yes they are. The team is 38-56 currently with 68 games left. 24-44 finish really isn't out of the question. That's 100 losses

Hard to see this team winning many games with this pitching once Swarzak is gone. Considering how the starters have been pathetic at going deep into games, we are looking at a ton of innings for horrible relievers.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 23, 2017 -> 10:57 AM)
Hard to see this team winning many games with this pitching once Swarzak is gone. Considering how the starters have been pathetic at going deep into games, we are looking at a ton of innings for horrible relievers.

At this point, I'd be shocked if we didn't end up with a top 2 pick. Lopez is really the only reinforcement coming on the pitching side and the staff in place today is a complete mess and that's with Swarzak. The offense is also going to take a hit when Melky is traded, although perhaps Moncada offsets that. Regardless, this is a very bad team and I think we'll be neck and neck with the Phillies for the #1 pick by the end of the season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 23, 2017 -> 10:57 AM)

Once Swarzak gets traded, the best pitcher on their team will have 0.5 fWAR.