Reverse Standings Thread

Bob Sacamano

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 04:37 PM)
I know the Sox are 9 games ahead of the Phillies right now, but I really don't think that is too big of a gap to jump. With that difficult of a schedule plus selling pieces off and bringing up inexperienced players, it really wouldn't surprise me terribly for them to play right around .300 baseball down the stretch. Frankly, once Quintana is gone, I don't see much of a reason to keep around guys like Shields, Melky, Frazier, Swarzak, Holland, Gonzalez, or Robertson, though they'll be dealt as the offers come in. Maybe we even see surprises and guys like Kahnle and Avisail are dealt too. The team could be really, really ugly in the second half.

When I made this post, the Sox were 38-48. They are now 39-59. As of writing this post, they had to go 23-53 to play approximately .300 ball. That is already down to 22-42, which is .344. I'd be very surprised if they hit that. They may end up playing WORSE than .300 baseball in the second half.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the roster is now mostly kids, has-beens and never-was's, something would have to go very right for the Sox to not get a top 3 draft pick. The kids would really have to play dynamite baseball.

It also doesn't seem like the Giants are blowing it up, and the Phillies have little to sell, so the Tank Sox could certainly own the second half by getting completely owned.

This is probably a dumb question, but is the Rule V draft order also determined by the same standings?

So if we finish with the worst record we get the #1 Rule V pick in December?

That in and of itself could net us a nice prospect with some of the guys who are going to be left off 40 man rosters (looking at the Yankees specifically)

Also, can you pick up multiple guys during the Rule V?

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 07:47 AM)
This is probably a dumb question, but is the Rule V draft order also determined by the same standings?

That in and of itself could net us a nice prospect with some of the guys who are going to be left off 40 man rosters (looking at the Yankees specifically)

I'm pretty certain it does determine that and a very good point I really didn't think about (in regards to teams like the Yankees). Also, yes you can pick multiple. Padres have like 3 on their team right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 09:21 AM)
The Sox have a few guys who are FA's a the end of the season too, if they don't trade them first.

How many guys do we have that need to be added to the 40-man by the cutoff date? Tilson is one for sure since he is currently off the 40-man. Putnam as well.

We also have guys that can be dfa'd to make room like Alen Hanson and Jacob May for example.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 09:39 AM)
How many guys do we have that need to be added to the 40-man by the cutoff date? Tilson is one for sure since he is currently off the 40-man. Putnam as well.

With is arb status, it wouldn't shock me if Putnam is a non-tender for 2018.

Not sure on who needs to be added still, but I get the feeling there will be plenty of room. Melky, Holland, Pelfrey and MiGo are all gone at some point, at a minimum. We could still find deals on others.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 09:44 AM)
With is arb status, it wouldn't shock me if Putnam is a non-tender for 2018.

Not sure on who needs to be added still, but I get the feeling there will be plenty of room. Melky, Holland, Pelfrey and MiGo are all gone at some point, at a minimum. We could still find deals on others.

Yeah Putnam could easily be dfa'd.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 10:57 AM)
Sox are 2-15 the last 17, and 15 of the next 18 games are against teams that currently hold a playoff spot.

Could be looking at a historically bad 35 game stretch.

Our schedule is actually pretty tough the final two months. With each loss I am more and more convinced that we overtake (if that's that right terminology) the Phillies.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 10:57 AM)
Sox are 2-15 the last 17, and 15 of the next 18 games are against teams that currently hold a playoff spot.

Could be looking at a historically bad 35 game stretch.

'88 Orioles started their season 5-30, not sure if that is the worst or not, but it began with a 21 game losing streak.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 11:05 AM)
When you're trying to track the race for last place, do you focus on games behind in the win column or games behind overall? Because we've only won 4 more games than the Phillies.

I typically follow games in the loss column. We are currently 4 losses behind the Phillies, but that gap has been closing fast as we keep losing.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 11:17 AM)
I typically follow games in the loss column. We are currently 4 losses behind the Phillies, but that gap has been closing fast as we keep losing.

Wins are more important in this case. The Sox could lose every game left this season and still not finish with the worst record. They need PHI to pass them in wins in order to have the worst record.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 07:47 AM)

This is a really good post. Totally didn't even think about this but yes. If they have roster space, they can make small trades with other teams to do this. Say the Sox have the #1 pick and Philly picks 2nd and Cincy 3rd. If Cincy and Philly aren't interested in using Rule 5 pick, Sox could buy those picks from them for cash and just take the top 3 guys.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 11:31 AM)
Wins are more important in this case. The Sox could lose every game left this season and still not finish with the worst record. They need PHI to pass them in wins in order to have the worst record.

With the Sox now having dumped everything I think as we play more games we'll catch up in the loss column from the extra games, but yeah I'm watching to see Philly win those 4 games. They catch us in the win column and I think that's the pick.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 12:44 PM)
It comes down to this...

Will the White Sox play five games worse than the Phillies the final 63 games?

I'm thinking the answer is "probably".

If the Sox played a full season with their current roster, they would lose, bare minimum, 110 games. I think they pass the Phillies for good sometime in mid to late August.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 01:09 PM)
If the Sox played a full season with their current roster, they would lose, bare minimum, 110 games. I think they pass the Phillies for good sometime in mid to late August.

Yes. Before Gonzalez on Monday, the Sox went a month and a half without having a starter go 7 innings. That guy, Q, is no longer with the team. Bad starters or even potentially great ones like Rodon, going 5 innings with the current bullpen, is no way to win a game. Especially when you have an offense that features Tyler Saladino DHing and batting 5th. Someone said this stretch could become historically bad. I agree. Any contender letting this current roster beat them is really a big miss by them. They will somehow manage to win one here or win one there, but to me, they are prohibitive underdogs just about any game they play.

Edited by Dick Allen