Reverse Standings Thread

Bob Sacamano

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 07:44 AM)
With is arb status, it wouldn't shock me if Putnam is a non-tender for 2018.

Not sure on who needs to be added still, but I get the feeling there will be plenty of room. Melky, Holland, Pelfrey and MiGo are all gone at some point, at a minimum. We could still find deals on others.

He has pitched 35 innings in the last 2 years. I'd put money on the Sox tendering him a contract.

Watch out for the Phillies. They will be tough to catch, after they just traded two of their players for prospects. Kendrick and Hellickson are gone.

Giants blew it vs LAD last night, but they are still ahead in the WIN column.

Edited by oldsox

Yeah I think there are 6 guys that can all be really good. Naturally 3 or 4 of those guys will bust and range from average players to scrubs. Hopefully, we pick the 2 guys that will be stars. And having pick number doesn't guarantee we will make the right choice. They have to be careful not to draft on hype.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 29, 2017 -> 06:35 AM)
Watch out for the Phillies. They will be tough to catch, after they just traded two of their players for prospects. Kendrick and Hellickson are gone.

Giants blew it vs LAD last night, but they are still ahead in the WIN column.

Were 1-12 since the all star break and 2-16 in the last 18 games.. I don't think we need to worry about anyone, this team will be the worst team in the league when its all said and done.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Jul 29, 2017 -> 10:42 AM)
Yeah I think there are 6 guys that can all be really good. Naturally 3 or 4 of those guys will bust and range from average players to scrubs. Hopefully, we pick the 2 guys that will be stars. And having pick number doesn't guarantee we will make the right choice. They have to be careful not to draft on hype.

Pick the 2 guys?

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 04:11 PM)
The Sox finish the week with the 3rd pick position.

The bad teams through 102:

Phi 38-64

SF 39-63

Sox 40-62

Cin 41-61

Oak 44-58

SD 45-57

Det 46-56

I'd say we have a better than 50% chance to end up with #1 overall. Can't see this club winning more than 20 more games.

Edited by steveno89

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 05:39 PM)
I'd say we have a better than 50% chance to end up with #1 overall. Can't see this club winning more than 20 more games.

Agreed. I'm thinking 5-15 the next 20, then 15-25 the final 40 when the Sox are playing for pride, and other teams are playing out the string or getting ready for the playoffs themselves--like the Indians the final weekend.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 01:10 PM)
Phillies up 5-0, going for a 4-game sweep of the Braves. If they win, the Giants move up to #1. They begin a 4-gamer with the A's tonight.

Just amazing to me how bad the Giants have been this season. Like everything that could have gone wrong for that team has gone wrong.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 06:26 PM)
Only one player selected #1 overall is a member of the hall of fame (Griffey Jr). Chipper Jones will join that club and Arod should be in that club (whether he actually gets voted in or not is to be determined).

How many have there been at every other draft spot?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 06:45 PM)
How many have there been at every other draft spot?

http://baseballhall.org/discover/caught-in-the-draft

This is a list of every hall of famer drafted with their position. Remember, the draft didn't begin until 1965.

No. 1: Ken Griffey Jr.

No. 2: Reggie Jackson

No. 3: Robin Yount, Paul Molitor, Kirby Puckett

No. 4: Carlton Fisk, Dave Winfield, Barry Larkin

No. 7: Frank Thomas

No. 15: Jim Rice

No. 22: Craig Biggio

No. 29: George Brett

No. 30: Mike Schmidt

No. 31: Greg Maddux

Edited by WhiteSoxfan1986

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 04:56 PM)
http://baseballhall.org/discover/caught-in-the-draft

This is a list of every hall of famer drafted with their position. Remember, the draft didn't begin until 1965.

No. 1: Ken Griffey Jr.

No. 2: Reggie Jackson

No. 3: Robin Yount, Paul Molitor, Kirby Puckett

No. 4: Carlton Fisk, Dave Winfield, Barry Larkin

No. 7: Frank Thomas

No. 15: Jim Rice

No. 22: Craig Biggio

No. 29: George Brett

No. 30: Mike Schmidt

No. 31: Greg Maddux

Interesting. Only 14 hall of famers drafted in 1st round since 1965. By the way, thanks for adding that key point about draft not beginning until 1965. How many hall of famers in total since 1965? Just curious as to % of hall of famers.