Reverse Standings Thread

Bob Sacamano

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 01:40 PM)
I don't think we'll get so lucky. Didn't everyone know Harper for years? Still think we'll get a shot at a really good player. Maybe I'm just paying attention more but people seem to really like the 2018 prep class.

Harper like Arod and Griffey was one of the very few who was a future star long before they were drafted. They are the exceptions to the rule.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 01:57 PM)
Longenhagen in his chat today said he doesn't think Turang should go 1-1 because he's unsure about the bat but didn't offer an alternative. Hopefully someone separates from the pack.

If there are concerns about his bat, it would take a leap of faith to take Turang first if you are basing it on some HS senior ABs.

If the Sox do get the top pick, I would imagine the thread discussing it will be the biggest in Soxtalk history. Someone will probably be able to get day by day reports on the top guys.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 06:55 AM)
Tuesday: Phillies lost, White Sox lost, Giants won, Reds won(!)

47 days left

Team (Games left) - Sox Magic Number to have higher pick:

1. Phillies(45) - 49

2. White Sox (46)

3. Giants(41) - 43

4. Reds(42) - 42

My odds:

50% -- 2nd pick

20% -- 1st pick

20% -- 3rd pick

10% -- 4th or higher.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 05:16 PM)
The wins are what matters.

Hmmm...when the Sox win, it means they didn't lose. When the Phillies lose, it means they didn't win. It goes both ways, that's why I'd rather follow a Magic Number.

The Sox have two more wins and four fewer losses, so three games back, but they have to be worse at the end- so be four games worse than the Phillies the rest of the way for a higher pick.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 06:18 PM)
Hmmm...when the Sox win, it means they didn't lose. When the Phillies lose, it means they didn't win. It goes both ways, that's why I'd rather follow a Magic Number.

The Sox have two more wins and four fewer losses, so three games back, but they have to be worse at the end- so be four games worse than the Phillies the rest of the way for a higher pick.

Allow me to clarify. The wins are what matters to the team "controlling its destiny" as it were. The Sox can, theoretically lose all the rest of their games, but they can't win fewer games.

The Phllies and Giants play 4 this weekend. This would be a really good time for the Sox to lay an egg in Texas.

As for predictions, I'll go with the Sox ending up with the 4th pick in the draft. The tough part of the schedule is now behind us, and most of the bottom 7 or 8 teams just don't seem to win very often.

Edited by Soha

QUOTE (Soha @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 06:56 AM)
The Phllies and Giants play 4 this weekend. This would be a really good time for the Sox to lay an egg in Texas.

As for predictions, I'll go with the Sox ending up with the 4th pick in the draft. The tough part of the schedule is now behind us, and most of the bottom 7 or 8 teams just don't seem to win very often.

The next couple of weeks are going to be pretty ugly still. Pretty much every team the Sox play are fighting for the playoffs right now, except Detroit and SF.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 09:24 AM)
This bullpen is really something else.

(hoping I say the same thing 2 years from now, but in a different context)

The website I frequent for fantasy baseball bullpen updates ended with this blurb in their Sox update:

We still think Minaya has the best stuff, but if you’re this desperate for saves, troll for eighth-inning guys, stream our VSW picks, something, anything but this! Don’t own a White Sox reliever!

QUOTE (Soha @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 06:56 AM)

Sox are getting the 1st or 2nd pick. Book it.