Reverse Standings Thread

Bob Sacamano

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 09:27 AM)
If we could be 3rd pick bad for about two years I would be really pleased. Hopefully that converts to fielding talent, but who knows

That would mean most of the players the Sox have acquired are playing poorly. I'll take this year. But if the Sox are that bad next year, they need to start the rebuild all over again because the players they acquired suck.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 11:54 AM)
That would mean most of the players the Sox have acquired are playing poorly. I'll take this year. But if the Sox are that bad next year, they need to start the rebuild all over again because the players they acquired suck.

Not necessarily. It wouldn't be shocking to see Moncada, Lopez, Delmonico, Giolito struggle a bit in their first full season of big league ball. And if they do struggle next year, it doesn't mean they won't have it figured out by 2019-2020 when the club expects to start competing again.

Not all the guys we acquired will be up next year. And there will be a maturity for those that are up. Next year is most likely going to be very ugly no matter what.

The Royals and Tigers should be pretty darned by next year...hard to imagine us losing more games than this year.

However many we finish below .500 this year, I'd comfortably cut that in half for next year. Example, 66-96 turns into 73-89 or 74-88, something like that. Draft pick 3/4 turns into 6-10.

That's not necessarily true at all. We've seen the Sox have one of the best (and cheapest) cores in baseball and still manage to be a mediocre team. If Q, Robertson, Frazier, Kahnle, etc are all traded and the Sox don't sign stop gap veterans to avoid bottoming out guys like Moncada, Kopech, Lopez, etc could all be playing well in the majors next season and this would still be one of the worst rosters in baseball.

The #2 (Kopech) and #3 (Robert) organization prospects stand a good chance of not seeing the show by the end of next year, and that has nothing to do with them being disappointing. You're probably going to need a bit more patience than you seem prepared for.

I might be alone in this, but I sort of expect the Sox to be worse next year than they will be this year. There's still some solid talent that has to be moved. From Quintana and Shields, to the bullpen guys, Frazier, etc. Specifically though - when they don't have guys like Swarzak, Kahnle and Robertson to button down leads late....then it's really going to get ugly.

QUOTE (Soha @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 03:00 PM)
I might be alone in this, but I sort of expect the Sox to be worse next year than they will be this year. There's still some solid talent that has to be moved. From Quintana and Shields, to the bullpen guys, Frazier, etc. Specifically though - when they don't have guys like Swarzak, Kahnle and Robertson to button down leads late....then it's really going to get ugly.

I think they hold onto Kahnle...you've still got Jones, Petricka, Beck, Burdi, Lopez/Fulmer (at least one of those two). There won't be a huge drop off.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Jones or Kahnle closing, then being traded at max value.

Odds are that Shields and Q aren't going anywhere, at least during the season.

QUOTE (Soha @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 04:00 PM)

Def possible. See the Phillies regression.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 06:04 AM)
Dropped a spot and could drop a couple more tonight with a win.

3-6 the next nine would be nice.

100 games left. 40-60 gets them to 95 losses and a nice pick next year.

40 - 60 the rest of the way ( or worse ) is probable IMO :)

Pile up them losses baby!!

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 03:54 AM)
Another win, go to 5th to 6th. Same record as Miami, but tie goes to the Sox.

.444 winning percentage puts them on pace for 90 losses. I never want to see them go above .444, so lose a few right now.

Sox are at that percentage with -1 in RD. That's about the best case scenario. Team is better "on paper" than in the standings, but we need the losses, duh.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 05:24 PM)
Sox are at that percentage with -1 in RD. That's about the best case scenario. Team is better "on paper" than in the standings, but we need the losses, duh.

Not sure that run differential really reflects the quality of the team. We were first place in the MLB for runs allowed for like the first month or so, no one who follows this team should have ever expected that. The team is regressing to the mean and so should our run differential and not in a good way.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 05:50 PM)
None of the White Sox underlying stats suggest this is a bottom 5 team in baseball and they've played significantly more games on the road than at home. I'm worried the Sox will actually play ~.480ish baseball the rest of the way and play themselves out of a top 5 pick.

Well, once they "rid themselves" of Frazier and a couple bullpen pieces and/or whatever scraps they can get for Melky and the veteran SP they will really be a bad team.

The pen has held this team together for the most part. I can see the Sox going on an epic losing streak in August.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 05:54 PM)
Well, once they "rid themselves" of Frazier and a couple bullpen pieces and/or whatever scraps they can get for Melky and the veteran SP they will really be a bad team.

The pen has held this team together for the most part. I can see the Sox going on an epic losing streak in August.

Who will they replace them with? If it's the highly touted young players, you should hope they won't be a bad team. Otherwise the future is bleak.

LF Willy Garcia/Delmonico

CF Leury Engel Tilson May

RF Garcia's

3B Davidson/Delmonico

SS Anderson

2B Moncada

1B Abreu/Hayes

DH Delmonico/Davidson/Hayes/Asche

C. Narvaez/Smith

Really creates a logjam with Sanchez, Saladino, Hanson (who can only play 2b). Leury's best position might be SS. Lots of options at least. The best lineup would put Moncada in LF and SANCHEZ at 2b. Or Leury SS, Anderson CF and Moncada in left.

Edited by caulfield12