Reverse Standings Thread

Bob Sacamano

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sox just can't help themselves but f*** this up.

Sox win, Reds lose, Tigers win.

0.5 games ahead of the Reds with the 5th pick

Sox pick 4th

2.5 GB of the Phillies for the 3rd pick

3 GB of the Tigers for the 2nd pick

4 GB of the Giants for the 1st pick

3 games left. 1st pick has now been eliminated.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

Reds at Cubs:

Fri, 1:20 Stephenson vs Quintana

Sat, 3:05 Stephens vs Lester

Sun, 2:20 McGuire vs Arrieta

Sox at Indians:

Fri, 6:10 Pelfrey vs Bauer

Sat, 6:10 Fulmer vs Kluber

Sun, 2:10 Volstad vs Tomlin

Hopefully the Cubs starters are just in there for 5 innings.

The Sox magic number over the Reds is 3.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 09:12 AM)
Reds at Cubs:

Fri, 1:20 Stephenson vs Quintana

Sat, 3:05 Stephens vs Lester

Sun, 2:20 McGuire vs Arrieta

Sox at Indians:

Fri, 6:10 Pelfrey vs Bauer

Sat, 6:10 Fulmer vs Kluber

Sun, 2:10 Volstad vs Tomlin

Hopefully the Cubs starters are just in there for 5 innings.

The Sox magic number over the Reds is 3.

Hey Q, I know we did you a solid by sending you to a playoff team, so could you do us one and just throw some lobs out there for the Reds? Please and thank you!

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 10:13 AM)
According to BR the Tigers are 5-22 for the month of September. Hard to top that s*** show.

Good thing Cleveland is still playing for the AL #1 seed. Should help the Sox hold onto the #4 pick next year.

Right. We are talking about facing off against a team with possibly the worst september in history (LIKELY)

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Sep 28, 2017 -> 09:05 AM)
I'll settle this once and for all with one simple question to all the people who are upset that we'll most likely pick 4th instead of 2nd or 3rd (I think we all conceded the top pick to SF a while back - though this tigers drop off has been out of the blue and sudden)

Name the top 5 prospects in the draft by name and position without looking it up... I know the names Turang and Singer off the top of my head..

Exactly.

In April it was TANK FOR BEER!!! Well guess what he's supposedly a mid to late 1st round pick now. Trout was what? 23rd?

Pick 1 and 2 in 2014 was Brady Aiken and Tyler Kolek. Unless there is a Harper, Bryant, etc. at the top there are very few sure guys. From what I understand there are MANY solid players in this draft with no real standout. I wouldn't be surprised if the top pick 3 years from now was from someone who picked 10-20..

Let's look at the top prospects in all of baseball...

Torres - signed

Robles - signed

Vlad Jr - signed

Eloy - signed

Acuna - signed

Rodgers - 1st (3rd)

Tucker - 1st (5th)

Senzel - 1st (2nd)

Kopech - 1st 33rd)

Buehler 24

Honeywell 72

Brinson 29

My point? You have to trust our scouts ... This isn't the NBA where one player like Lebron wins you a championship. This isn't like NFL and NBA where a likely consensus top 3 guy is a guarantee.. the 1st round and top picks are littered with injuries and burn outs...

if there is something to get bent out of shape about it is that our signing slots are less with each pick down...

There is no guarantee but a guy like bryant or correa definitely helps if you want to win a championship and you are most likely to get such a player at one or two.

I'm not saying the Sox can't make it but most of the teams who succeeded in that full rebuild thing have drafted a superstar hitter (astros - correa, cubs - bryant, nats - harper).

The Sox currently lack such a hitter, maybe moncada, Robert or jiminez can become that but that is speculation.

Now you can win a championships without that 6 war player (Royals) but it definitely is easier if you have that guy.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 11:07 AM)
There is no guarantee but a guy like bryant or correa definitely helps if you want to win a championship and you are most likely to get such a player at one or two.

I'm not saying the Sox can't make it but most of the teams who succeeded in that full rebuild thing have drafted a superstar hitter (astros - correa, cubs - bryant, nats - harper).

The Sox currently lack such a hitter, maybe moncada, Robert or jiminez can become that but that is speculation.

Now you can win a championships without that 6 war player (Royals) but it definitely is easier if you have that guy.

Moncada, Jimenez, and Robert (not to mention Rodon, Kopech, and Hansen) all have the potential to be that player, and all are already in the system. I hope the Top 5 pick the Sox get in this upcoming draft adds to that list.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 11:23 AM)
Moncada, Jimenez, and Robert (not to mention Rodon, Kopech, and Hansen) all have the potential to be that player, and all are already in the system. I hope the Top 5 pick the Sox get in this upcoming draft adds to that list.

At this point I cannot tell you how disappointed and surprised I will be if Jiminez is not a monster.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 01:05 PM)
How crazy is that we are going to get a top 5 pick and they might not be a top 5 prospect for us.

I'd be surprised if they weren't with graduations. Jimenez, Kopech, Hansen, Robert but I'd imagine our top 5 pick slots in at 5 and possibly 4 ahead of Hansen.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 01:11 PM)
I'd be surprised if they weren't with graduations. Jimenez, Kopech, Hansen, Robert but I'd imagine our top 5 pick slots in at 5 and possibly 4 ahead of Hansen.

That is pretty reasonable. With three of the top guys graduating, it does open up more spots than I was thinking. I agree those are our top 4, and there is a pretty clear gulf between Hansen and whoever is #5 right now. #5 probably does make sense TBH. But still, the fact that we are going to make a top 5 pick and they will be still rated that low is pretty crazy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 01:15 PM)
That is pretty reasonable. With three of the top guys graduating, it does open up more spots than I was thinking. I agree those are our top 4, and there is a pretty clear gulf between Hansen and whoever is #5 right now. #5 probably does make sense TBH. But still, the fact that we are going to make a top 5 pick and they will be still rated that low is pretty crazy.

Yeah, and it will be interesting. This shouldn't and doesn't matter, but if you get a player like Singer it's likely a top 45 prospect right away. High schoolers slot a little farther down. But very likely we have a top-75 player right off the bat.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 01:15 PM)

Gulf? I don't know, Collins put up solid offensive numbers in AA and supposedly improved his defense by leaps and bounds to the point that some think he can stick at C. Dane Dunning also had a pretty good year.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 01:26 PM)
Gulf? I don't know, Collins put up solid offensive numbers in AA and supposedly improved his defense by leaps and bounds to the point that some think he can stick at C. Dane Dunning also had a pretty good year.

The top 4 have superstar potential. I don't see that in the rest of the top 5. There are going to be some really good players in the rest of the list, but none of them have those kind of ceilings.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 01:36 PM)
The Collins improved at D stuff hasn't really come from anyone other than the white sox. Haven't seen a good report by any prospect source. He may be fine there, but it's still a question mark.

Longenhagen from Fangraphs listed him on a list of players he felt would stick at C. Considering he got Schwarber comps on draft day, that sounds like marked improvement to me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 01:37 PM)
The top 4 have superstar potential. I don't see that in the rest of the top 5. There are going to be some really good players in the rest of the list, but none of them have those kind of ceilings.

If Collins can bring an elite bat and average defense to the C position, he has 6+ WAR per year potential.