Reverse Standings Thread

Bob Sacamano

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 03:05 PM)
This year he was basically Matt Davidson who also took walks. I want to see some more of the hit tool.

As an average fielding catcher that is an all-star caliber guy.

If Davidson took walks he'd be in the team photo for the next six years.

Edited by Harry Chappas

QUOTE (credezcrew24 @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 01:04 PM)
An OPS of over 800 doesn't equal a bad bat, especially at the catcher position.

Whole heartedly agree and I also feel like 2018 will see Collin's making major improvements to his offensive side.

The kids just getting started and all things considered, it has been a good start.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 03:11 PM)
If you want to put Collins into the upper tier of our prospects, I want to see more hitting. The guy is supposed to be a hit first catcher and hasn't really hit at all yet.

I feel like you may be missing the point. He's a catcher- that's a position where you usually don't get any offensive production. If he can be a high OBP, HR guy with average defense like the scouts think he can, he's already a top-10, maybe even top-5, catcher in all of baseball. That alone makes him a great prospect.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 05:27 PM)
I feel like you may be missing the point. He's a catcher- that's a position where you usually don't get any offensive production. If he can be a high OBP, HR guy with average defense like the scouts think he can, he's already a top-10, maybe even top-5, catcher in all of baseball. That alone makes him a great prospect.

I feel like some are missing that 2017 happened.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 05:30 PM)
I feel like some are missing that 2017 happened.

I don't understand what you're referencing. Is it the offensive uptick from this season? Because, if so, that's not exactly coming from the catcher position. Of catchers with 110 or more games, only Sanchez, Contreras, Posey, Avila (barely qualifies in terms of games played) and Zunino have an OPS of .800 or better. If Collins is the OBP/SLG guy we think he can be, I'll take it.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 05:36 PM)
I don't understand what you're referencing. Is it the offensive uptick from this season? Because, if so, that's not exactly coming from the catcher position. Of catchers with 110 or more games, only Sanchez, Contreras, Posey, Avila (barely qualifies in terms of games played) and Zunino have an OPS of .800 or better. If Collins is the OBP/SLG guy we think he can be, I'll take it.

A guy who is hitting for that low of an average is going to not see nearly as many walks at the upper levels. People are putting way too much faith into pitchers going around him if he isn't hitting. Pitchers with control at the upper levels aren't going to give him nearly as much. If his hit tool doesn't return he will be a bust. Such a large part of his OPS right now is based on walks. If he doesn't get them, he isn't worth nearly as much.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 03:44 PM)
A guy who is hitting for that low of an average is going to not see nearly as many walks at the upper levels. People are putting way too much faith into pitchers going around him if he isn't hitting. Pitchers with control at the upper levels aren't going to give him nearly as much. If his hit tool doesn't return he will be a bust. Such a large part of his OPS right now is based on walks. If he doesn't get them, he isn't worth nearly as much.

He's had 506 minor league at bats while not working much on refining his swing. It's way to early to make speculations about his projection at the MLB level.

The dudes a prospect - and a good one at that. Let's just all agree to sit on the fence with him and keep an eye on how he does in 2018 on both sides of the ball.

Through 160 (Magic numbers to have higher pick):

1. Tigers 63-97 (SF-2, Phi-1)

2. Giants 63-97 (Det-3, Phi-1)

3. Phillies 65-95 (Det-4, SF-4, Sox-1)

4. White Sox 66-94 (Phi-4, Cin-2)

5. Reds 67-93 (Phi-4, Sox-3)

6. Mets 69-91

7. Padres 70-90

8. Braves 71-89

9. Pirates 73-87

10. A's 74-86

11. Orioles 75-85

12. Blue Jays 75-85

13. Marlins 76-84

14. Mariners 77-83

15. Rangers 77-83

16. Rays 78-82

17. Angels 79-81

18. Royals 79-81

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 10:17 PM)
Through 160 (Magic numbers to have higher pick):

1. Tigers 63-97 (SF-2, Phi-1)

2. Giants 63-97 (Det-3, Phi-1)

3. Phillies 65-95 (Det-4, SF-4, Sox-1)

4. White Sox 66-94 (Phi-4, Cin-2)

5. Reds 67-93 (Phi-4, Sox-3)

Not just one Magic Number for "myself and the confused idiot bunch" but 11!

( In all seriousness - I'm glad you're having fun with this flavum )

:lol: