Reverse Standings Thread

Bob Sacamano

QUOTE (daggins @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 09:55 AM)
Seems kind of pointless to follow this until after the trade deadline, no? The Sox will be mediocre-bad until then, and likely worse after.

This whole board is pointless- ranking prospects, rooting for wins or losses, wanting a top 5 pick...it doesn't matter, but it's interesting to follow for some.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 10:02 AM)
This whole board is pointless- ranking prospects, rooting for wins or losses, wanting a top 5 pick...it doesn't matter, but it's interesting to follow for some.

Plus, Chili is often for making this thread every year when the suckdom begins. Sadly for us fans, this thread has become inevitable every year.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 09:55 AM)
Seems kind of pointless to follow this until after the trade deadline, no? The Sox will be mediocre-bad until then, and likely worse after.

This thread is just as silly as starting up a magic number countdown in May.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 10:52 PM)
Tied for 10th with Cardinals.

Phillies, Giants and Padres the three clear worst by a mile...

By the end of tomorrow's games, nine out of the ten worst teams can be NL teams- they kinda already are.

If the Sox beat the Blue Jays, they'll have the same record, and they are currently 15th.

Oh well.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 09:13 PM)
By the end of tomorrow's games, nine out of the ten worst teams can be NL teams- they kinda already are.

If the Sox beat the Blue Jays, they'll have the same record, and they are currently 15th.

Oh well.

Lots of time left to suck but this week has made me a sad panda.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 18, 2017 -> 08:47 AM)
We're within 2 games of six teams. I fully expect us in the 3 to 5 range by seasons end. Philadelphia & San Diego are going to be the only teams hard to catch IMO.

The Reds are falling back to Earth, and the Giants are just having one of those years.

The A's also are bad. I expect the Sox to lose at least 88 games still, so maybe the 5th, but no lower than 8th is my guess.

pretty good start to this homestand and series vs the A's

Also - i think Avi is gonna come back to earth, we are going to sell off Quintana and some of our pen pieces. I think we should be picking in the top 4, but honestly - this is the perfect situation to go full on tank .....absolutely no point in winning 67 games and picking 5th when you can win 62 and pick 2nd

The Phillies are probably the only team who is guaranteed to have a worst record than the White Sox. A bunch of teams will be inter-changable as the season moves along (Reds, White Sox, Marlins, Braves, Giants, Padres, Mets, A's, Tigers, possibly another team in the NL Central)..

A few of these teams are probably going to end up worse than the White Sox, but they will probably be somewhere in the 4-6 range if things go to plan.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 24, 2017 -> 02:57 PM)
If the Sox lose and the Tigers win tonight, the Sox will have the worst AL record by percentage points, and the 5th pick position. I'd take that in the end.

Mets needed to win too. They did.

Now just need the Tigers to win, and it's been a good day for the pick.

Hope Holland is good, but Gray is better Sunday.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jun 25, 2017 -> 10:32 AM)
Sox are gonna be really, really bad without Frazier/melky/quintana and a bullpen and likely regression from at least a few of our breakout guys (Sanchez, Leury, Davidson, etc.) So there could be a serious push for #1 overall

The Phillies are going to get the #1 pick, and the Giants are just having one of those years. The Padres suck but are overachieving. The Reds blow too.

I'm thinking 3 at best, 8 at worst. 4-6 seems about right though.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 25, 2017 -> 08:45 AM)
The Phillies are going to get the #1 pick, and the Giants are just having one of those years. The Padres suck but are overachieving. The Reds blow too.

I'm thinking 3 at best, 8 at worst. 4-6 seems about right though.

Phillies are only like 7 games ahead of us in that contest with roughly 90 to go. No slam dunks yet, especially if we trade avi/abreu too

Edited by Knackattack

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jun 25, 2017 -> 11:19 AM)
Phillies are only like 7 games ahead of us in that contest with roughly 90 to go. No slam dunks yet, especially if we trade avi/abreu too

We'll see. If the Sox go 1-7 the rest of this homestand, they'll be 33-48 at the halfway mark. Then 100 losses seems possible.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jun 25, 2017 -> 10:32 AM)
Sox are gonna be really, really bad without Frazier/melky/quintana and a bullpen and likely regression from at least a few of our breakout guys (Sanchez, Leury, Davidson, etc.) So there could be a serious push for #1 overall

Losing Q would push this team into freefall; and losing 2 of the top 3 relievers (Robertson, Kahnle, Swarzak) would accelerate it. But it needs to be done.

As for Melky and Frazier, they aren't very productive, are blocking development of younger players, and need to go.

The Sox have the run differential and baseruns of an average to slightly below average team. Even if they clean house and deal Quintana, Robertson, Kahnle, Frazier etc those departures will be offset by players like Rodon, Lopez, Moncada, etc being added to the major league roster. It's difficult for me to envision a scenario where this is a bottom ~3-5 roster in the majors even after all the trades have been completed.

I've cheered for this team to lose every game so far this season. I hope they finish with the worst record in baseball. But I don't see any reason to believe they're actually bad enough to make a serious push for it. My biggest worry right now is that with promotions and a backlog of home games they'll play ~.475 baseball the rest of the way and play themselves out of a premium draft slot.