Reverse Standings Thread

Bob Sacamano

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 03:59 PM)
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs...dule-strengths/

We're projected to have the hardest schedule in the MLB in the second half. Fangraphs projects us at a .380 winning percentage the rest of the way, and that's with all of our trade assets still on the team. It's going to be ugly.

Hmm. A little surprised to see this since we've already played 13 more games on the road than at home.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 04:17 PM)
Hmm. A little surprised to see this since we've already played 13 more games on the road than at home.

Looking at our schedule it makes sense though. Our interleague slate is the Dodgers, Cubs and Giants. The latter two are likely much better than their record thus far. In the AL we have yet to play the Astros and are finished with the A's. We still have to play at Fenway and aside from potentially the Tigers there are no "easy" wins.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 04:25 PM)
Looking at our schedule it makes sense though. Our interleague slate is the Dodgers, Cubs and Giants. The latter two are likely much better than their record thus far. In the AL we have yet to play the Astros and are finished with the A's. We still have to play at Fenway and aside from potentially the Tigers there are no "easy" wins.

Fair enough, makes sense.

I know the Sox are 9 games ahead of the Phillies right now, but I really don't think that is too big of a gap to jump. With that difficult of a schedule plus selling pieces off and bringing up inexperienced players, it really wouldn't surprise me terribly for them to play right around .300 baseball down the stretch. Frankly, once Quintana is gone, I don't see much of a reason to keep around guys like Shields, Melky, Frazier, Swarzak, Holland, Gonzalez, or Robertson, though they'll be dealt as the offers come in. Maybe we even see surprises and guys like Kahnle and Avisail are dealt too. The team could be really, really ugly in the second half.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 04:37 PM)
I know the Sox are 9 games ahead of the Phillies right now, but I really don't think that is too big of a gap to jump. With that difficult of a schedule plus selling pieces off and bringing up inexperienced players, it really wouldn't surprise me terribly for them to play right around .300 baseball down the stretch. Frankly, once Quintana is gone, I don't see much of a reason to keep around guys like Shields, Melky, Frazier, Swarzak, Holland, Gonzalez, or Robertson, though they'll be dealt as the offers come in. Maybe we even see surprises and guys like Kahnle and Avisail are dealt too. The team could be really, really ugly in the second half.

The suck has only begun. We are about to get worse in the starting rotation and in the infield defense, as well as the bullpen. It is going to be ugly with a capital U after the deals start.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 02:42 PM)
The suck has only begun. We are about to get worse in the starting rotation and in the infield defense, as well as the bullpen. It is going to be ugly with a capital U after the deals start.

Very excite

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 12:12 PM)
After the trade Fangraphs upgraded our ROS projections. We dropped from .380 to .362, 50 points behind the Padres who are the next projected worse team at .410.

So that has us with what... the number 2 slot?

QUOTE (kwill @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:04 AM)
Does anybody know if we have a shot at getting a competitive balance pick if we suck enough. On MLB they say it is a formula including standing and revenue generated but really don't go into further detail.

Based on how I interpreted the competitive balance rules when they came out - we're considered a large market team regardless of standings and have no shot at a pick... however, someone more knowledgeable should chime in because I'm not 100% certain.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 09:39 AM)
It could most definitely be worse.

I actually think this is the low point. The production may be worse initially from lopez/giolito/fulmer but i'd much prefer watching them.