5/28 Games

SoxAce

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 28, 2017 -> 07:29 PM)
The problem is Fulmer looks more like Addison Reed than Benintendi or Happ, lol.

You can throw 92-94 without impeccable location anymore as a starter...you have to be 95-98 or have remarkable movement.

Hopefully Hansen and Dunning compensate for the inconsistency/struggles at the AA and AAA level, other than Kopech.

No Collins today, btw.

This statement is wrong on so many levels. Do you know how few starters actually throw 95 and higher? This is by no means the norm.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 28, 2017 -> 10:39 PM)
This statement is wrong on so many levels. Do you know how few starters actually throw 95 and higher? This is by no means the norm.

Is Dylan Covey the answer?

Can someone find the average velocity for MLB starting pitchers this year? It has to be 92-93.

In 2008, the average major-league fastball registered 90.9 mph. Last season (2013), the average fastball reached 92.0 mph. This article was written at the beginning of the 2014 season, btw. http://triblive.com/sports/mlb/5423918-74/mph-velocity-cole. So it should be close to 93 for the mean or average by now.

http://m.mlb.com/statcast/leaderboard#avg-pitch-velo,r,2017

I'll go back to my argument that 92-94 is much closer to average than it was a decade ago. It's obviously one of many reasons for increasing numbers of pitching injuries, Tommy John surgeries, etc. I will take Lopez over Fulmer in an argument over who has the longer career as a starter. We shall see. The more pitchers throwing even harder, the easier it is to time pitches that are 91-94. It's like 84-86 mph batting practice for many hitters.

Edited by caulfield12