Just Sayin: 17-13 Against The Division

Jerksticks

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only "bad" thing right now is we currently are sitting with the 13th pick in the draft (nowhere close to Top 3-5)...but, even more concerning for potential trade deadline deals, we're now being joined by more and more teams in dumping talent on the trade market.

You've got the Angels who will have to fold with Trout out 5-8 weeks, the Royals will be starting a huge firesale with Duffy down and blowing yet another game tonight against DET (starting with Moustakas, Hosmer, Cain, Herrera and Vargas), the Astros are so completely burying everyone in their division that the Angels will probably have to think about getting what they can for some of the assets on their roster...not that they have many with huge value. The Tigers have to decide if they want to max out any trade value for the likes of JD Martinez, Ian Kinsler, Avila, etc., or try to hold on and battle with the Indians for the division. The odds of them being able to compete all year long with CLE are slim, and none.

Right now, we're only going to be able to deal Swarzak and Holland at higher value. Robertson, although we might have to eat some salary depending on who we trade him to. Cabrera and Frazier are "trending up" in value but still far from the best situation to deal them for prospects. Then you have MiGo and Shields, who hopefully comes back soon.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 30, 2017 -> 03:04 AM)
The only "bad" thing right now is we currently are sitting with the 13th pick in the draft (nowhere close to Top 3-5)...but, even more concerning for potential trade deadline deals, we're now being joined by more and more teams in dumping talent on the trade market.

You've got the Angels who will have to fold with Trout out 5-8 weeks, the Royals will be starting a huge firesale with Duffy down and blowing yet another game tonight against DET (starting with Moustakas, Hosmer, Cain, Herrera and Vargas), the Astros are so completely burying everyone in their division that the Angels will probably have to think about getting what they can for some of the assets on their roster...not that they have many with huge value. The Tigers have to decide if they want to max out any trade value for the likes of JD Martinez, Ian Kinsler, Avila, etc., or try to hold on and battle with the Indians for the division. The odds of them being able to compete all year long with CLE are slim, and none.

Right now, we're only going to be able to deal Swarzak and Holland at higher value. Robertson, although we might have to eat some salary depending on who we trade him to. Cabrera and Frazier are "trending up" in value but still far from the best situation to deal them for prospects. Then you have MiGo and Shields, who hopefully comes back soon.

Don't worry. By the time it shakes out we'll have the worst record in AL or second worst. Talent prevails and we don't have the talent that will win on the road and go no better than .450 at home.

Royals won't totally clean house. I predict they'll bring back Moose,Herrera and Vargas. Hosmer and Cain will be dealt or walk on their own. Cain blows. He won't bring much. Hosmer won't bring much as a rental. They'll keep him til the end of year and try to sign him. In short, they'll bring back Moose for sure. Maybe Hosmer. Herrera and Vargas are worth nothing in trade value.

As far as Sox ... Robertson figures to bring something and we'll deal him. Those veteran pitchers will bring NOTHING. Holland, gonzalez Pelphrey are not bringing anything. Nate Jones is a walking injury catching up to him with the horrific pitching form and will bring little. Frazier is worth nothing hitting below .200 always. Melky will bring nothing.

In summation ... Robertson will be dealt and bring back a decent prospect and a half. Q will be dealt and bring back 2 decent prospects. Everybody else we're stuck with.

GO SOX!

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 30, 2017 -> 02:16 PM)
One thing I think we can take from the season so far is that the AL Central is pretty bad. We have done very well against it, but pretty badly against the rest of baseball.

That's what I was saying, why I want to try to win it every year. Our division sucks.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ May 30, 2017 -> 11:42 AM)
It's all actually encouraging.

Draft picks are somewhat of a crapshoot, and the Robert signing basically is adding a top tier-level draft pick this season anyway, so mission accomplished on that front.

Given the team either sucks horribly, wins 60 games, and and guys like Avi and Davidson and the Garcias all suck balls or the team wins 78 games and those guys do well -- I'm taking the latter every time. Any draft pick is still 3-4 years away from MLB at best. Improvement in the MLB roster is more important.

Yea it would be nice to have a top 3 pick but it will be nicer to guys improve that are still cost controlled and can be part of the next Sox playoff team.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 30, 2017 -> 03:15 PM)
Given the team either sucks horribly, wins 60 games, and and guys like Avi and Davidson and the Garcias all suck balls or the team wins 78 games and those guys do well -- I'm taking the latter every time. Any draft pick is still 3-4 years away from MLB at best. Improvement in the MLB roster is more important.

Yea it would be nice to have a top 3 pick but it will be nicer to guys improve that are still cost controlled and can be part of the next Sox playoff team.

Exactly. We have way too much premium talent on the roster to net a top pick, or so it seems at this point. The additions of Rodon, Moncada, Lopez & Burdi are going to make the Sox quite a bit better.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 31, 2017 -> 04:02 AM)
You know who was managing the White Sox 10 years ago, right?

Ozzie was bad at the end, but I contend he's the best manager in Sox history. Yes, he beats out Al Lopez who led the Sox to the World Series in 1959.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 30, 2017 -> 09:06 PM)
Ozzie was bad at the end, but I contend he's the best manager in Sox history. Yes, he beats out Al Lopez who led the Sox to the World Series in 1959.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/managers/lopezal01.shtml

He AVERAGED 90 wins a season over the course of 9 years. If not the for the Yankees, he would be a lot more famous.

90, 94, 94, 98, 95 were his five best.

Ozzie had 99, 90 (2006), 2008 team I think ended up with 88 or 89...2010 team had a good run, but I would still take Lopez, especially because of the way that things fell apart at the very end between the Sox and Ozzie.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ May 30, 2017 -> 10:52 PM)
That gets you nothing. Winning a weak division gets you nothing.

Greg, you have to be smarter.

Rename this thread Just Slayin'.

ALC has represented the AL in the World Series the past 3 years, and 4 out of 5. I f you think that is nothing then I don't know what is something.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ May 30, 2017 -> 10:52 PM)
That gets you nothing. Winning a weak division gets you nothing.

Greg, you have to be smarter.

Wait. It gets you in the playoffs, and then anything can happen. This isn't the NBA where only the best team wins.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 31, 2017 -> 08:54 AM)
Wait. It gets you in the playoffs, and then anything can happen. This isn't the NBA where only the best team wins.

Have to say our dream playoff rotation certainly has taken a hit.

Who wants to face the 5.5 ERA Quintana, Shields, Holland buzzsaw?!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 30, 2017 -> 09:11 PM)
http://www.baseball-reference.com/managers/lopezal01.shtml

He AVERAGED 90 wins a season over the course of 9 years. If not the for the Yankees, he would be a lot more famous.

90, 94, 94, 98, 95 were his five best.

Ozzie had 99, 90 (2006), 2008 team I think ended up with 88 or 89...2010 team had a good run, but I would still take Lopez, especially because of the way that things fell apart at the very end between the Sox and Ozzie.

Exactly. Lopez was far and away the best Sox manager at least in my lifetime.

Ozzie was a very good manager and a breath of fresh-air after Manager Gandhi but he started to believe his press clippings, felt money was more important than anything else (who can forget his tirade about more money / contract extension right before the Sox opened that series at home with Detroit that was going to make or break their season?) and he refused to keep in line his kids with their insulting and disruptive tweets.

It was time for him to go.

He could have had the job as long as he wanted after winning the World Series but he became his own worst enemy in my opinion.

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 31, 2017 -> 08:54 AM)

But it doesn't set you up for years and years of success. That's the best way to maximize your odds of winning the series.

I don't care about beating a weak division. I want to be good for years and years to come.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ May 31, 2017 -> 12:13 PM)
But it doesn't set you up for years and years of success. That's the best way to maximize your odds of winning the series.

I don't care about beating a weak division. I want to be good for years and years to come.

Somehow I don't think Indians fans were too bothered headed into game 7 last year.

Just get into the dance, then anything can happen.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 31, 2017 -> 11:29 AM)
Somehow I don't think Indians fans were too bothered headed into game 7 last year.

Just get into the dance, then anything can happen.

Where's their trophy?

It's inevitable, I suppose, that the old-school White Sox nonsense sneaks back in because this team isn't terrible enough. We know the lightning in a bottle method fails for more often then the rebuild through the farm method. You want a championship window, you don't want a "well, we can go for it this year, but that's all"

Edited by Sox-35th