Hawk to retire at the end of 2018 season

justBLAZE

Like him or not, Hawk is a White Sox legend and that's coming from someone that has not listened to Hawk in a long time. I've enjoyed many beers through the years watching the Sox and listening to Hawk. We're gonna miss him when he's gone.

Luckily for us it looks like we have another legend in the making with Stoney.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ May 31, 2017 -> 04:21 PM)
Like him or not, Hawk is a White Sox legend and that's coming from someone that has not listened to Hawk in a long time. I've enjoyed many beers through the years watching the Sox and listening to Hawk. We're gonna miss him when he's gone.

This. Hawk has been the voice of Sox games since I was a kid.

For me, Hawk is like a guy in a bar discussing the game. He's loud, he's emotional, he's definitely partisan. He tells some interesting stories, some dumb ones, but whatever, you ignore him half the time anyway. People complain that he gets silent when things are going bad, but what would any fan do?

I'll tell ya, when we're down by seven and the umps appear to be employed by the other team, STFU. Last thing I want then is to listen to Jason Benetti tell stupid jokes.

Very sad to see the end of this era. I mean there is no one person you can identify more with the White Sox over the term of the JR ownership than Hawk. I get the skills have diminished, but all a year and a half of Benetti has done is make me dread this day even more. Love ya Hawk!

I will miss Hawk. I read on here he is a grumpy old man with a huge ego, and then you meet him on a road trip and he couldn't be more friendly. It appears he is going out on his terms. It is really going to hit me at the end of this season because it appears he will be doing Home day games and I have a weekend package, and a job. I may only get to hear him a couple of times next year.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ May 31, 2017 -> 05:08 PM)
Yes. This all day.

The era of Hawk ended a long time ago when he became unlistenable...

...to you. You stopped liking him whenever you did. Many of us did not, and continue to like him to this very day.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ May 31, 2017 -> 06:17 PM)
...to you. You stopped liking him whenever you did. Many of us did not, and continue to like him to this very day.

To most people. Half the board here, all of the national media, various ranking sites.

I like Ken Harrelson, but he's not fit to be in the booth anymore.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ May 31, 2017 -> 06:36 PM)
To most people. Half the board here, all of the national media, various ranking sites.

Enjoyment isn't a popularity contest. If who other people like is that important to you, you should probably think of converting 8 miles north.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 31, 2017 -> 06:16 PM)
Please let all those Sunday games be Hawk and Wimpy

That would be amazing! Those two together are absolutely fantastic. I'll miss Hawk...he's an icon. I don't mind Benetti all that much...but him and Stone together get kind of nauseating with them trying to be cute with each other. I don't mind Stoney...but honestly...I still equate him to doing Cubs games when I hear his voice.

Back to Hawk tho...it is time for him to ride off into the sunset. He had a great run..

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ May 31, 2017 -> 05:36 PM)

No, not to "most" people, and no, not to "half" the board here. You have no facts to back that up, not to mention the silly assertion about "ALL of the national media". You are simply projecting your opinion upon others. We get it - you don't like Hawk. Noted, now move on.

I'll miss Hawk. We all know it's time, but I chose to remember the good days. Fond memories of yesteryear, asking my Dad what the heck a cat-bird seat was, what the heck a can-of-corn had to do with a baseball game. I'll miss his candor. The number of guys that can actually get away with saying what they feel in our social justice warrior era can be counted on a couple hands at best. I'll miss his enthusiasm. Hawk has been the voice of my baseball team for as far back as my memory goes, and I think growing up listening to a guy live and die on every pitch in a game where essentially nothing ever happens, made me feel like it was important, like that's how I should feel about baseball, and it worked. He put everything he had in to this gig for a long time, and as corny as it sounds you can't argue with the passion he brought to the mic day in and day out. I'm glad I got to grow up listening to his stories of legends I couldn't pull up youtube videos of at my fingertips. I feel bad for the kids today that will never get to experience that. Sure, the Grandpa campfire story magical feeling waned as I grew older, but I'd still take a tall tale from the Hawk I've heard 100 times over Benetti telling me what his Mom put in his lunchbox.

Love em, hate em, somewhere in between, hats off to a legend, the end of an era, this Sox fan will always cherish the memories.

Thanks Hawk

:hawk: