RIP Jimmy Piersall

bmags

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 09:35 AM)
Always appreciated his honesty and the man absolutely knew the game.

For any interested here is the link to the interview that I had with him. Like in real life, he wasn't afraid to speak his mind and had some wonderful stories:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/in...=11&id=2852

Pretty sure I had seen that interview before but enjoyed reading it again. Thanks for posting it. Jimmy was unique that's for sure. He and Harry were my all-time favorite broadcasting team They were sure fun to listen to.

Edited by BigEdWalsh

Would guess not too many on this board remember Piersall the player nor do I . I do remember him with Harry Caray. They ragged on the Sox pretty badly. Piersall was a little crazy ( different for sure).

1955 Piersalls memoir .Fear Strikes Out, hit the bookshelves. 1957 came the movie starring Psycho star Anthony Perkins. Piersall may be best known for running around the bases backwards after hitting his 100th HR of his career.

RIP Jimmy and condolences to his family and friends. He was 87.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 09:35 AM)
Always appreciated his honesty and the man absolutely knew the game.

For any interested here is the link to the interview that I had with him. Like in real life, he wasn't afraid to speak his mind and had some wonderful stories:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/in...=11&id=2852

Good article for anyone who likes Sox history . Much controversial content. Piersall sure didn't pull any punches.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 01:06 PM)
A little before my time but his radio interviews over a decade ago were great

He was great on The Score as the baseball "expert." Unlike many of the guys these shows put on now, Jimmy actually watched both Sox and Cubs games and had real thoughts about what he saw. He didn't just bs for 20 minutes.

A true original. RIP.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 01:43 PM)
Piersall may be best known for running around the bases backwards after hitting his 100th HR of his career.

That was before my time.

Did he then have to run around the bases the right way? I definitely have never seen anyone run around the bases backwards before. I don't know what the rules say about that.

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 10:45 AM)
That was before my time.

Did he then have to run around the bases the right way? I definitely have never seen anyone run around the bases backwards before. I don't know what the rules say about that.

I have questions about this too. How many times did he get beaned after that considering this took place "back in the day" when players knew how to "play the right way" and "act like they've been there before"?

It was fun watching Haray and Piersall clips. Some twitter post was for the last day of 1979 or something. There was a point where the clown prince of baseball was basically interrupting a live game and everyone was yucking it up. I was trying to imagine the fit everyone would have if players were distracted during the game with something pleasing fans.

Actually I want to try and find it.

1) I would love a radar gun on Steve Trout, looked like he was throwing 82 mph

2) Hard not to notice the difference in announcing due to how fast the pitchers pitched. Would be a lot less Benetti/Stone banter if they didn't have 40 seconds between each pitch

3) There was a part where the scoreboard wished happy birthday to the cameraman from channel 44, Piersall misread channel 44 as the cameraman's age, and goes "44! he doesn't look 44" to which Haray replies "That's the channel not his age!"

good stuff. Shots of the crowd are too good. Not a jersey in sight.

QUOTE (SoxFan2003 @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 12:27 PM)
I have questions about this too. How many times did he get beaned after that considering this took place "back in the day" when players knew how to "play the right way" and "act like they've been there before"?

I watched Harry and Jimmy as a teen . Little did i Know what I was watching.

Probably the best duo ever to do baseball. honest and direct always, and funnier than hell.

Cubs fans worshiped Harry but never saw him at his greatest. Jimmy brought that out

almost every game. R I P Jimmy .

QUOTE (SoxFan2003 @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 12:27 PM)

I think if you were what was once referred to as "certifiable" you got a pass.