The Buster Policy Update

Quin

Hello,

For starters I'd like to thank members of the Buster for keeping engagements mostly civil.

However the personal mudslinging has quite frankly become too much. You can disagree with people on this board without attempting character assassination or baiting.

From now on, argue talking points, not people. Southsider and I disagree a good bit on our political views, but I'm not going to to tell him he's arguing like an out of touch fogey and he's not going to call me an ignorant millennial.

Also, the Republican and Democrat threads are going to more strictly enforced on trolling. Those threads serve to provide areas for like-minded people to discuss. You can still post in the Republican thread if you're a liberal and vice versa, but if you go in with the intent to get a rise out of people, you're out of luck.

To accommodate the growing number of independents on this board, an Independent thread will be made upon request.

As we're a baseball forum, we'll be instituting a three strike policy. One warning, one 10 day suspension from the Buster and then finally banned from the Buster. This goes for all posters, from newbies to mods to admins

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 9, 2017 -> 10:32 PM)
Hello,

For starters I'd like to thank members of the Buster for keeping engagements mostly civil.

However the personal mudslinging has quite frankly become too much. You can disagree with people on this board without attempting character assassination or baiting.

From now on, argue talking points, not people. Southsider and I disagree a good bit on our political views, but I'm not going to to tell him he's arguing like an out of touch fogey and he's not going to call me an ignorant millennial.

Also, the Republican and Democrat threads are going to more strictly enforced on trolling. Those threads serve to provide areas for like-minded people to discuss. You can still post in the Republican thread if you're a liberal and vice versa, but if you go in with the intent to get a rise out of people, you're out of luck.

To accommodate the growing number of independents on this board, an Independent thread will be made upon request.

As we're a baseball forum, we'll be instituting a three strike policy. One warning, one 10 day suspension from the Buster and then finally banned from the Buster. This goes for all posters, from newbies to mods to admins

Wasn't there just one thread where a couple people were going at each other? Wasn't it just two people even close to personal attacts on here of late? I could be mistaken but one thread doesn't seem like a big deal to me. As far as trolling ... I guess those poor saps (like me; there really are only 1-3 people willing to take on the masses) who have a differing view of controversial issues and a different view of Trump are in big trouble in terms of getting suspended. Cause I'm sure 70 percent of my posts are deemed either trolling or met with consternation/anger. It's not easy being a person with a differing viewpoint. The majority tends to want his/her opinion to be the only opinion and many times differing viewpoints or takes on current issues (the violence, ISIS, Maher, Griffin, Rush, Hillary, Bernie, Trump, the white privilege gangs) and people are met with accusations of trolling and/or baiting and that's sad. People can have different views and refuse to succumb to the more popular view. The mods have the right to ban anybody they want, though.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 01:08 PM)
Wasn't there just one thread where a couple people were going at each other? Wasn't it just two people even close to personal attacts on here of late? I could be mistaken but one thread doesn't seem like a big deal to me. As far as trolling ... I guess those poor saps (like me; there really are only 1-3 people willing to take on the masses) who have a differing view of controversial issues and a different view of Trump are in big trouble in terms of getting suspended. Cause I'm sure 70 percent of my posts are deemed either trolling or met with consternation/anger. It's not easy being a person with a differing viewpoint. The majority tends to want his/her opinion to be the only opinion and many times differing viewpoints or takes on current issues (the violence, ISIS, Maher, Griffin, Rush, Hillary, Bernie, Trump, the white privilege gangs) and people are met with accusations of trolling and/or baiting and that's sad. People can have different views and refuse to succumb to the more popular view. The mods have the right to ban anybody they want, though.

There is a difference between having a different viewpoint and having the blatant wilful ignorance and refusal to learn. You display the latter. Most places consider it trolling, but I think people honestly don't know if you just are doing it on purpose or if you actually don't understand it.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 07:36 PM)
There is a difference between having a different viewpoint and having the blatant wilful ignorance and refusal to learn. You display the latter. Most places consider it trolling, but I think people honestly don't know if you just are doing it on purpose or if you actually don't understand it.

I won't respond any more on this thread and ruin its purpose, but I have never understood this "refusal to learn" crud people hit me with. I refuse to come over to the popular side, sure. But it's not a refusal to learn. For instance the violence in Chicago issue. Whenever it comes up, the majority freak out and say how safe the city is compared to years ago and cite stats and they think I don't consider their stats. Sure I read your stats, but I have my own eyes and ears and it's pretty f***ing obvious there's a ton of violence in Chicago the last few years. If somebody's gonna tell me how safe it is and all I'm reading in the Sun Times is murder after murder, cmon folks! There's no refusal of mine to learn, there's a refusal to take those facts and deem violence a non problem.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 01:36 PM)

I think you pretty well missed the point of the initial post. We don't want people making personal insults, which is exactly what this post is about.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 09:10 PM)
I think you pretty well missed the point of the initial post. We don't want people making personal insults, which is exactly what this post is about.

I'm excited that mods are going to be held to the same standard. ;)

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 10:55 PM)
I'm excited that mods are going to be held to the same standard. ;)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 08:10 PM)

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 07:26 PM)
I assume calling someone "racist" qualifies under these new rules? I just want to make sure I understand. :wub:

That's a bit of a complicated one.

There are various shades, like we've seen recently.

The more direct version, and then Republicans almost always reacting defensively to any "charge" that can be construed as not caring about people, particularly minorities. Then you have Breitbart and the alt-right movement comprising 10% of Trump voters, and mainstream Republicans resisting being lumped under that big tent theory.

And calling a collective racist, vs. a specific person or poster.

Civility is the main thing we are looking for. What Greg writes may at times be frustrating, challenging, baiting, maybe what some people would call trolling, I can't think of a post where we attacked someone personally. I don't know Greg the person, I only know what he writes which creates a screen character. Is it his true thoughts and beliefs? I don't know and don't worry about that. Same with every other poster here. I personally believe the 'Buster is a little better because of Greg and other posters like him stirring the pot.

Let me offer an example. Years ago a poster here who I greatly respect and like accused me of not liking him based on the battles we had here on the pages of the 'buster. I was shocked that he thought that, but after thinking about the arguments we had and how we responded to each other, it made sense. That should not have happened and are the types of posts we would like to tone down. I recognize that the hope he has for America is the same as mine, we only differ on the route to that dream. Mine works and his won't.

A final thought. I believe the topics we discuss here are important to the future of our country. If we each tried to move people to our point of view that is truly doing something for what we each believe is right. We aren't going to do that by insulting each other. I really want y'all to resist a border wall, especially through a National Park. I'm not going to do that by calling you a racist idiot. I want y'all to support a guest worker program and a path to limited citizenship for the undocumented workers contributing each day to our success. I can't achieve that through insults. I'd like y'all to push for less government borrowing.

And I will leave you with this. A now banned poster accused me of always humming this tune as I was sitting around this campfire . . .

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya

Oh Lord, kumbaya

Someone's singing Lord, kumbaya

Oh Lord, kumbayah

Someone's laughing, Lord, kumbaya

Oh Lord, kumbaya

Someone's crying, Lord, kumbaya

Oh Lord, kumbaya

Someone's praying, Lord, kumbaya

Someone's…

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 05:47 AM)
Civility is the main thing we are looking for. What Greg writes may at times be frustrating, challenging, baiting, maybe what some people would call trolling, I can't think of a post where we attacked someone personally. I don't know Greg the person, I only know what he writes which creates a screen character. Is it his true thoughts and beliefs? I don't know and don't worry about that. Same with every other poster here. I personally believe the 'Buster is a little better because of Greg and other posters like him stirring the pot.

Let me offer an example. Years ago a poster here who I greatly respect and like accused me of not liking him based on the battles we had here on the pages of the 'buster. I was shocked that he thought that, but after thinking about the arguments we had and how we responded to each other, it made sense. That should not have happened and are the types of posts we would like to tone down. I recognize that the hope he has for America is the same as mine, we only differ on the route to that dream. Mine works and his won't.

A final thought. I believe the topics we discuss here are important to the future of our country. If we each tried to move people to our point of view that is truly doing something for what we each believe is right. We aren't going to do that by insulting each other. I really want y'all to resist a border wall, especially through a National Park. I'm not going to do that by calling you a racist idiot. I want y'all to support a guest worker program and a path to limited citizenship for the undocumented workers contributing each day to our success. I can't achieve that through insults. I'd like y'all to push for less government borrowing.

And I will leave you with this. A now banned poster accused me of always humming this tune as I was sitting around this campfire . . .

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya

Oh Lord, kumbaya

Oh Lord, kumbayah

Oh Lord, kumbaya

Oh Lord, kumbaya

Someone's…

How many times when someone has made a reasonable/centrist/moderate policy proposal has that generated any serious discussion around here? Maybe 10% or so.

Instead, we spend more time talking about Maher or Kathy Griffin, typically. Process/tactics and not substance. That's obviously true of society in general, not just messageboards.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 07:47 AM)

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya

Oh Lord, kumbaya

Oh Lord, kumbayah

Oh Lord, kumbaya

Oh Lord, kumbaya

Someone's…

I really enjoyed this post. Thanks, man. :)

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 12:47 PM)

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya

Oh Lord, kumbaya

Oh Lord, kumbayah

Oh Lord, kumbaya