Painful and Difficult situation

Kyyle23

https://www.google.com/amp/abcnews.go.com/a...3Fid%3D47949550

So, to start, if there is a thread dedicated to this that I missed I apologize, direct me to it and I will merge

How to start here? There are so many questions about all of this; what happened that put him on a sexual offender list(I don't want exact details, just a scenario I guess)? how did this go undetected until pretty much right before the draft(which is crazy considering he is one of the top pitching prospects in the draft)? did Ok St cover this up in order to allow him to be on the team? Was he living in dorms the entire time, or was he working with young children while a student athlete?

Is this kid blacklisted at this point? Do you think his talent will force a team to take an extremely PR and situationally risky chance?

Just curious what you "draftniks"(smh) think about this?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Def not a "draftnik," but I believe people deserve second chances, especially for things done when they were teenagers. What he did was despicable and heinous, but I simply believe in second chances. That being said, the Sox (or any other team) would have to talk with him and see if he is actually changed, remorseful, etc. And of course, I would have a zero-tolerance policy with him regarding anything, but I would not take him off my draft board entirely.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 09:59 AM)
I agree that deserves a second chance, despite this being f***ing gross. Furthermore, this likely pushes him to round 3 or 4, and I'd definitely being willing to give him a shot, *if* he proves to be remorseful in interviews.

Highly highly doubt he only falls to rounds 3 or 4

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 08:01 AM)
Highly highly doubt he only falls to rounds 3 or 4

I'm pretty sure he was projected to go in the 3rd or 4th before this revelation, I think he's going to go way later in the draft if he gets drafted at all. I agree with other posters sentiments, people deserve second chances in life especially when they do something regrettable as a teenager. What he did was reprehensible but he should be allowed to show that he has reformed before being cast aside.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 10:05 AM)
He's undraftable in my opinion.

Until there's more details, proof of years of counseling, and even maybe starting in independent baseball, you can't bring this guy in. Even then, teams may just pass.

Yeah, you don't touch this guy with a 10 foot pole. I agree about giving people second chances, but there is no excuse for molesting a 6 year child regardless of age. None whatsoever. Even if you get past your own moral high ground, drafting him is only going to add clubhouse drama going forward. No reason to put the rest of your prospects in an uncomfortable spot.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 08:05 AM)
He's undraftable in my opinion.

Until there's more details, proof of years of counseling, and even maybe starting in independent baseball, you can't bring this guy in. Even then, teams may just pass.

Why?

If he wanted to drive a bakery truck, would you say he's unemployable? Should he never be allowed to make a living?

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 10:08 AM)
I'm pretty sure he was projected to go in the 3rd or 4th before this revelation, I think he's going to go way later in the draft if he gets drafted at all. I agree with other posters sentiments, people deserve second chances in life especially when they do something regrettable as a teenager. What he did was reprehensible but he should be allowed to show that he has reformed before being cast aside.

He was in high school. He wasn't a little kid or something. Child molestation takes a special kind of evil. f*** this dude.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 08:18 AM)
He was in high school. He wasn't a little kid or something. Child molestation takes a special kind of evil. f*** this dude.

Really, you should probably know all the details.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 08:19 AM)
Would you want to work with someone who molested a six year old?

I probably do, and don't know it.

I also probably work with a lot of people who've done other terrible things.

Unfortunately, most of us aren't independently wealthy and have to work for a living.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 10:20 AM)
Really, you should probably know all the details.

Normally I would agree, but if he molested a family member and it was reported, I'm going to assume it was pretty f***ing bad. Regardless, people are not going to be around this guy. He's simply not worth the distraction whether he's "reformed" or not.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 10:17 AM)
Why?

If he wanted to drive a bakery truck, would you say he's unemployable? Should he never be allowed to make a living?

I'm just saying there isn't enough to go on right now to turn his name in.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 10:21 AM)
I probably do, and don't know it.

I also probably work with a lot of people who've done other terrible things.

Unfortunately, most of us aren't independently wealthy and have to work for a living.

Come on shack, I agree with you on most social issues, but this is crazy. He has a right to earn a living, but the rest of us have a right to not want to work with such a person. Unfortunately when you're convicted of child molestation, there are going to be some repercussions. One of those is struggling to find work.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 08:24 AM)
Normally I would agree, but if he molested a family member and it was reported, I'm going to assume it was pretty f***ing bad. Regardless, people are not going to be around this guy. He's simply not worth the distraction whether he's "reformed" or not.

I'm really not trying to take up the flag for the molesters out there, but you cannot simply refuse them the right to make a living (unless of course, they want to do something that requires them to be in the presence of children or something).

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 08:32 AM)
Come on shack, I agree with you on most social issues, but this is crazy. He has a right to earn a living, but the rest of us have a right to not want to work with such a person. Unfortunately when you're convicted of child molestation, there are going to be some repercussions. One of those is struggling to find work.

There have been plenty of athletes that have physically abused women, been convicted of vehicular manslaughter, many, many drug convictions, etc.

Professional sports are not exactly the example that you want to hold up for being concerned about moral/social issues in regards to employment opportunities.

Now that doesn't mean that I'm unaware that there is an economic analysis happening here.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 11:17 AM)
Why?

No, but there's no rule that says his second chance has to be in baseball on a MLB team with lots of public scrutiny and a fan base full of children.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 12:23 PM)
No, but there's no rule that says his second chance has to be in baseball on a MLB team with lots of public scrutiny and a fan base full of children.

And for this reason, I absolutely would not draft him

I'm with shack on this one. If the dude served his time, the dude served his time. You can argue that his sentence was too short or lenient (maybe it was, maybe not -- we have no idea about the details of his case), but that's different than arguing that American people can't try to live their lives after they've completed their punishment. People don't lose their right to life/liberty/pursuit of happiness after they get out of the penal system.

The potential affect it could have on PR and team chemistry MUST be taken into account when a team drafts him, and will almost certainly remove him from many team's boards. Maybe every team's board. You can hate the guy, but it's crazy to blame this guy for trying to live his life. There's no argument to not allow him to try, IMO.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 02:13 PM)
I'm with shack on this one. If the dude served his time, the dude served his time. You can argue that his sentence was too short or lenient (maybe it was, maybe not -- we have no idea about the details of his case), but that's different than arguing that American people can't try to live their lives after they've completed their punishment. People don't lose their right to life/liberty/pursuit of happiness after they get out of the penal system.

The potential affect it could have on PR and team chemistry MUST be taken into account when a team drafts him, and will almost certainly remove him from many team's boards. Maybe every team's board. You can hate the guy, but it's crazy to blame this guy for trying to live his life. There's no argument to not allow him to try, IMO.

Wait, how do you get to "American people can't live their life after they've completed their punishment"?

That's an insane interpretation if some/all teams choose not to draft him. He's a free member of society and he can choose to do what he wants (within limitations), but that doesn't mean an employer has to choose to hire him! There's consequences for actions, among them that employers don't have to give you the benefit of the doubt and can choose to hire elsewhere

Edited by NCsoxfan

Almost every minor and major league team has charity/community service related to young children...whether it's visiting hospitals, school speeches or youth camps.

If this was Hunter Greene, it would be one thing. He is a left handed pitcher, and that's always going to be an attraction to big league teams. I do believe he'll get an opportunity eventually, but maybe as a free agent with an independent team or in winter ball to start with. Maybe in Mexico, for example...or Australia.

I wonder how that reporter from The Oregonian will feel if he ends up committing suicide...there are some pretty clear sides here, especially if you're a parent. There's also the religious/forgiveness element at play from a moral standpoint.

Edited by caulfield12

I think it would be easier to draft him if this was not a "revelation". It's true you can't just marginalize these offenders who have served whatever sentencing to no careers, but I don't recall it being an activity they grow out of. Him being so young is the tough part, but it's such a grotesque crime that upends the lives of the victim. I don't know how I'd feel if I was the victim and knowing this person could make the highest level of sport with all that fame and money. It just seems off, I can't really see drafting him.