DRAFT TRACKER 2017, and Day One Discussion

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like all sorts of underslot discussion hell is breaking loose after several weeks of what seemed like a certain top 5.

My prediction: the top 5 is still the same and this is all due diligence.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 12:08 PM)
Baseball America‏Verified account @BaseballAmerica 7m7 minutes ago

Scouts and analysts agree: Keston Hiura is the top college bat.

Absolutely would love him, Haseley, or Beck. Would be happy with White as well. Just no Kendall or Adell, please.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 12:06 PM)

I like this Hostetler quote:

We do want to eliminate the swing-and-miss guys.

Gives me some confidence that I'll be happy with whoever they end up with.

QUOTE (ecupittfan @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 12:15 PM)
Hearing it is possible that McKenzie Gore could also go #1 overall.

It'd be a good pick. This draft should really show how important it is for us to be drafting top 3 in 2018 / 2019 compared to the double digits. Look at what concecutive high first round hits did for Huston and the Nationals.

Today's KLaw chat

Jim - Chicago3:06Hi Keith- Bukauskas seems to give you less reservations than other similar "short" RHP draft prospects in recent years. Am I interpreting that correctly and, if so, is their something in his delivery that might eventually get him some plane on his fastball?

Keith Law3:06No, I have the same reservations - lack of FB plane, doesn't use lower half in his delivery - but this class is weaker than most.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 12:18 PM)
Frankie Piliere @FPiliereD1

·

4m

#WhiteSox had Kenny Williams in to evaluate both #UVA bats. I think they'd take either Haseley or Smith if they were there at 11.

I'm getting more and more excite

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 07:22 PM)
Today's KLaw chat

Jim - Chicago3:06Hi Keith- Bukauskas seems to give you less reservations than other similar "short" RHP draft prospects in recent years. Am I interpreting that correctly and, if so, is their something in his delivery that might eventually get him some plane on his fastball?

Keith Law3:06No, I have the same reservations - lack of FB plane, doesn't use lower half in his delivery - but this class is weaker than most.

And just said he's had someone tell him the Sox like JB

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 01:20 PM)
I don't see how the Sox take Kendall with the strikeout comments being made

The full quotation will bring you right back to uncertainty:

“We are open in this draft to the best player but also a guy who fits in with what we are trying to do,” Hostetler said. “We do want to eliminate the swing-and-miss guys. We want guys who put the ball in play. We want pitchers who pound the zone. We may sound like a broken record, but we want to stay true to the philosophy. We will take our shots during the draft, for sure. There are certain times when you want to step outside the box. If not, you are going to end up with the same player throughout the system. You don’t want to have that.”

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 02:25 PM)
And just said he's had someone tell him the Sox like JB

AJ3:23Hey Keith-- loved your appearance on OTL today. You have the White Sox taking JB Bukauskas over bats you've stated they're linked to like Jeren Kendall. Do they have a specific interest in Bukauskas from what you know? Do you think they'd take an under-slot HS OF like Adell or Beck over a college pitcher if available?

Keith Law3:24If you look at my mock, those 27 pairings of team and player are all based on industry rumors. Someone told me the White Sox like Bukauskas. I can't say who, but I can tell you everything in there is based on what I considered solid intel.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 08:35 PM)
Sox are and have been in on Bukauskas. At this time, he seems like the back up to me. Sox have hopes of how the draft shakes out in front of them and don't seem to be married to anyone at this point.

Just a guess but their dream is one of Beck or Haseley to fall to them

I thought people have been saying this is one of the more cloudy drafts and that no one really knows who is going where?

The Sox can definitely have a couple guys fall in their laps at 11 from all that I have seen.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 12:20 PM)
It'd be a good pick. This draft should really show how important it is for us to be drafting top 3 in 2018 / 2019 compared to the double digits. Look at what concecutive high first round hits did for Huston and the Nationals.

Do we think a top 3 pick in 2019 is likely, or even desirable? I think we've got to be better than that with Moncada/Fulmer/Giolito/Lopez contributing at MLB in 2018. Not contending yet, but if we totally suck, I think that's a bad turn for some of our first tier...