Day Two Draft Discussion

southsider2k5

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (daggins @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 12:58 PM)
Unfortunately, no. It's funny, because MLB.com's writeup specifically praises his makeup.

Hmm it'll be interesting to keep up with this.Thanx for the response.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 01:04 PM)
Gonzo looks like a poor man's Kendall to me tool's wise. Not bad in the 3rd round and that plate discipline is pretty impressive. Don't think he's got much power in that bat though.

Poor man's Kendall as in a grade down in every other tool, and one grade up in the hitting department. But this is the type of player I have more confidence that the Sox could develop versus Kendall, no complaint here for a 3rd round pick.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 01:08 PM)
Poor man's Kendall as in a grade down in every other tool, and one grade up in the hitting department. But this is the type of player I have more confidence that the Sox could develop versus Kendall, no complaint here for a 3rd round pick.

well said. I agree.

https://baseballdraftreport.com/2017/04/05/...ort-louisville/

It’s tough to pick between Kade McClure and Lincoln Henzman as the surer bet — in as much as any young pitcher is a “sure bet” — professionally. The output has been similar, the velocity is similar (88-92, 94 peak), the breaking balls are similar (average 76-83 hybrid pitch for McClure, average 83-87 cut-slider for Henzman)…there’s not a whole lot of separation here. McClure has the size advantage (6-7, 230 to Henzman’s 6-2, 200) while Henzman, my preference by the slimmest of margins, shows the better present changeup at 84-87 MPH with splitter action. I think both wind up as big league contributors within a few years.

Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Cutter: 50 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 50 | Overall: 45

Grades from Callis/Mayo

His write up is very favorable with the low ranking due to assumed reliever. If they move him to starter he is intriguing as hell to me. Reported very good at preventing home runs by "blitzing the bottom of the zone" (callis' words with blitzing the zone)

Plus change and good fastball. Improving slider. Sounds like a guy that could be really fun with a cutter.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 01:08 PM)

So a 50-55 hit tool, 40 game/45 raw power, 60 speed, 50 arm, 60 field. I like that spread a lot.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 01:16 PM)
That was a different guy.

Sox were speculatively planning Henzman for the third round a few weeks back. Henzman had a tough finish to the year at Louisville. Sox love them some Louisville kids though.

Sorry, must have got mixed up. Remember you mentioning sox scouts again being all over louisville.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 01:27 PM)
David Banuelos is a guy I'd have liked the Sox to draft. His bat might not play, but he really really has a shot at being an elite defensive catcher, which I think works in this era.

Me too. May never hit well enough to amount to much, but man, he looked like a defensive wizard.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 01:35 PM)
A guy from a st louis university I have never heard of just went in round 5. First d3 pick ever from webster college.

I was about to post that. Crazy, Webster has a good baseball program but never would have guessed a guy would be drafted in the 5th round from there.