Day Two Draft Discussion

southsider2k5

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how high the star power is on this draft, but it certainly seems like very nice depth to system. These guys each seem like they have legitimate shots with their talent and profile of making big league level. Similar to 2016, probably what you get when it's so college heavy. But these guys do not seem like projects at all.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 02:41 PM)
Jake Adams just went, I think there was a hawkeye on the board that really wanted us to get him.

Rats, I was really hoping the Sox would take him. I had kind of given up on it though, after they used the first two picks on Burger and Sheets. Adams has the same power potential/limited defensive flexibility, but they definitely have much more polished approaches at the plate.

What's the story with high rated guys that have fallen a long way? Guys like Tanner Burns, Evan Skoug, Tristan Beck, and others that were rated in the top 75 talents in the draft are still around in the 7th round. Signability concerns?

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 03:09 PM)
What's the story with high rated guys that have fallen a long way? Guys like Tanner Burns, Evan Skoug, Tristan Beck, and others that were rated in the top 75 talents in the draft are still around in the 7th round. Signability concerns?

it's all about the $$$. I'm sure some of them will go in 11 due to the slotting considerations

Have to imagine they have signaled they will not sign.

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 03:13 PM)
it's all about the $$$. I'm sure some of them will go in 11 due to the slotting considerations

Sorry for the novice question, but are the no limitations on what you can pay a guy in the 11th and on?

Skoug showed good power numbers with 20 homers this season, but teams must be concerned about the high number of strikeouts and fairly weak batting average

mlb pipeline:

Scouts rated Skoug as a top-three-rounds talent as an Illinois high schooler in the 2014 Draft, but he plummeted to the Nationals in the 34th round because he was set on attending Texas Christian. He immediately batted cleanup for the Horned Frogs and helped them reach the College World Series in each of his first two seasons. He slumped horribly in the first third of his junior year, hurting his chances of becoming the first TCU position player ever taken in the first round, though he did rebound and shared co-Big 12 Conference player of the year honors. Skoug's offense definitely grades out better than his defense. With his compact left-handed swing, impressive strength and good bat speed, he drives the ball to all fields. He's similar to 2016 Angels first-rounder Matt Thaiss, with Skoug offering a little less batting average and a little more power. Thaiss shifted from catcher to first base as soon as he turned pro, and while Skoug is better behind the plate, scouts believe his limited athleticism and quickness may force him to make the same move. He's an adequate to average defender whose quick release helps him get the most out of his fringy arm strength. He earns praise for his work ethic and leadership skills.

https://www.mlb.com/draft/tracker/drafted

Thoughts:

Baseball player

sox may feel really good about their catcher development after Collins so far

He's being compared to a 1st round pick last year.

The only concern that I have so far with the draft is that it seems like the Sox FO still doesnt put a high priorty on defense. Really wanted to see that come through in this rebuild.

I assume there are probably very few players that are great with both offense and defense but still would like to have seen some more promising reports that guys that they take play exceptional defense.