2017-2018 NHL discussion thread

QUOTE (Tony @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 07:37 AM)
Can't argue with that.

And I just want to throw out there that if this is really true, it's an absolutely brutal way for him to end a career and it sucks. With that said, I'm a born skeptic and this just doesn't really pass the smell test right now. We've never heard a word about this until now, the statements released today were VERY careful to not call it a retirement but just that he won't play this season, and him going on LTIR has been something that has been talked about for YEARS. It's just...weird.

Supposedly he is on a medication for it, so it would be pretty straight forward to prove or disprove to the league.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 01:09 AM)
Even though I saw a quote from someone close to the situation who said he didn't appreciate the idea that this was made up, and it's a serious health issue for Marian, I really do hope it was made it up. It would suck to see a legendary player like Hossa suffer and have to wimper in to retirement before he wanted to call it quits.

I'm all for the cap space, but I hope it was Hossa's decision, not an actual health issue.

There have been some serious cases of the "gunk" over the years but I think they are exaggerating it a bit. It is nasty stuff. This and the smell of hockey locker rooms are the worst part working the sport.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 11:26 AM)
Yeah, of all players I think Hossa is one of the last ones who would want to go out this way. He is a machine, and one of my favorite players. Not only an amazing scorer, but a two way beast. Good luck winning a puck battle with him in the corner.

While I agree with this and don't doubt his work ethic at all, you kind of have to look at some of the realities of his situation. He had made over $100 million in his career, $60+ in just 8 years with the Hawks. Now all of a sudden, he would have to play 4 more seasons at just $1 million per. And at age 38 it obviously takes a lot more effort and training to keep up with the kids in the league. Maybe he was thinking about hanging up and this "gunk" was part of the reason, but he can't just retire and screw over the Hawks who helped him so much. So they worked out a LTIR plan.

There are so many moving parts in this situation, it would be interesting to know where the 100% truth is.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 12:11 PM)
While I agree with this and don't doubt his work ethic at all, you kind of have to look at some of the realities of his situation. He had made over $100 million in his career, $60+ in just 8 years with the Hawks. Now all of a sudden, he would have to play 4 more seasons at just $1 million per. And at age 38 it obviously takes a lot more effort and training to keep up with the kids in the league. Maybe he was thinking about hanging up and this "gunk" was part of the reason, but he can't just retire and screw over the Hawks who helped him so much. So they worked out a LTIR plan.

There are so many moving parts in this situation, it would be interesting to know where the 100% truth is.

It could be. And I mean by not retiring, he is getting a free $1 million per year... so that is working for him too.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 11:38 AM)
There have been some serious cases of the "gunk" over the years but I think they are exaggerating it a bit. It is nasty stuff. This and the smell of hockey locker rooms are the worst part working the sport.

Do you know anything about the medications that one would take to treat it? The statements that were released specifically talked about the medications and its side effects, maybe that had an extra negative effect on him?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 11:38 AM)

Oh yeah, I played hockey for 5 or 6 years and my brothers played through HS. That smell will absolutely ruin a car. lol. Never drove in my brother's car without the windows down, sucking air out of the window. :lol:

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 07:34 PM)
This expansion draft on stage in Vegas is really weird and uncomfortable.

So unnecessary and forced. On another note James Neal is a golden knights.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 10:51 AM)
Not anymore, traded to Carolina, which is becoming the new Florida for ex-Hawks.

Kruger is still a Hawk for now, but lots of rumors out there

The urgency is less now that Hossa is out, but I still think it wise to open up some space in Kruger's place if possible. Team has to get younger and have room to sign younger guys.

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (aryzner @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 11:04 AM)
#Blackhawks acquire defensemen Connor Murphy and Laurent Dauphin from the Arizona Coyotes in exchange for defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson.

https://twitter.com/NHLBlackhawks/status/878281711628435457

That's a nice trade for the Hawks but f*** it sucks to see Hammer go

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 11:26 AM)
How can anyone hate getting Saad back? He is younger and Toews hasn't been the same since he left.

I'm more weirded out seeing Q leave abruptly in a cab. maybe reading too much into it but that's too much of a coincidence.