2017-2018 NHL discussion thread

QUOTE (Tony @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 11:33 AM)
I will say at the end of the day, this 2016-2017 squad was a massive disappointment, I guess a shakeup isn't a bad thing. But Seabrook still here and Hammer gone hurts a lot.

Absolutely with you on that, but I just don't see anyone taking Seabrook without the Hawks taking another hit to get rid of him. Nonetheless, Hammer was the last D I wanted gone.

Edited by TheTruth05

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 11:40 AM)
Getting Saad back is awesome. Better and younger than Panarin.

Not in love with the Hammer trade, but Murphy is going to be a core piece now. Only 24 and signed for 5 more years at 3.8.

Absolutely love the Saad deal. Great 2 way player and have him for 2 more years than Panarin. Get a back up goalie as well. Fantastic move.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 11:49 AM)
Wow, what a crazy day.

Seriously, I am just seeing these Hawks trades now and I think....I think its just too much for me to absorb in 24 hours of fandom.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 11:49 AM)
Wow, what a crazy day.

I was sitting at the airport bar and my phone just started blowing up with these craziness.

I totally get the Saad deal, he is more of a two way player and younger signed for longer.

The Hjalmarsson day is pretty questionable, unless Murphy turns out to be a good player leaving the desert wasteland.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 11:26 AM)
How can anyone hate getting Saad back? He is younger and Toews hasn't been the same since he left.

So when do we bring up how much better Kane was with Panarin?

Deal is fine. Who cares. As long as Kane and Toews are on the roster we have a chance.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 11:19 AM)
What is happening to this franchise

The Cubs ruined it for everyone. Now all franchises know the the fans will accept years of being bad because "rebuilding" is now fashionable. Tear down the team, tell the fans this is the right way to rebuild the team and the fans accept it.

In the good old days a bad team was just a bad team. Now the fans "embrace the tank"/ slightly green

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 02:38 PM)
The Cubs ruined it for everyone. Now all franchises know the the fans will accept years of being bad because "rebuilding" is now fashionable. Tear down the team, tell the fans this is the right way to rebuild the team and the fans accept it.

In the good old days a bad team was just a bad team. Now the fans "embrace the tank"

You can't possibly compare what the Hawks are doing right now to a tear down.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 02:23 PM)
So when do we bring up how much better Kane was with Panarin?

Deal is fine. Who cares. As long as Kane and Toews are on the roster we have a chance.

Panarin without Kane should be scary for CBJ

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 12:51 PM)
I was sitting at the airport bar and my phone just started blowing up with these craziness.

I totally get the Saad deal, he is more of a two way player and younger signed for longer.

The Hjalmarsson day is pretty questionable, unless Murphy turns out to be a good player leaving the desert wasteland.

It the Hammer deal freeing up money?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 11:40 AM)
Getting Saad back is awesome. Better and younger than Panarin.

I f***ing called this s*** months ago in the NHL thread. Look it up. ;)

Got Saad back.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 02:15 PM)
I blame soxace.

:lol:

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 12:33 PM)
Do you know anything about the medications that one would take to treat it? The statements that were released specifically talked about the medications and its side effects, maybe that had an extra negative effect on him?

oh yeah. the meds can definitely have an adverse effect. They are pretty strong especially if it's a bad case. They need to be on them for a long time during the season.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 11:33 AM)
I will say at the end of the day, this 2016-2017 squad was a massive disappointment, I guess a shakeup isn't a bad thing. But Seabrook still here and Hammer gone hurts a lot.

Sucks, but Seabrook got the NMC.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 06:39 PM)
Love the doofuses saying the Hawks got Saad back because they needed more toughness. Christ people, they traded for Brandon Saad, not Cody f***ing McLeod.

That is part of it though. Panarin is like Kane they need space to work and mostly work the edges of the ice. They Hawks have lacked the player who will get infront of the net and put in the rebound shots. You can play the edges in the regular season but need the "tough" goals in the playoffs when the game changes. The NHL more than most sports has a totally different game in the post season. look at the Hawks last year. They had one of the best records in the league but get swept in the first round and only 3 goals in 4 games doing it. They didn't need the "toughness" as in fighting but needed the players who can play in the middle.

Gosh, I am so torn. Saad was my favorite player before he got moved. I finally got to tear the red tape off one of the A's on my jersey, so it says Saad again, instead of "Sad". But getting him back while losing Panarin is so incredibly bittersweet.

As far as Hammer goes, I'm less upset about losing Hjalmarsson, and more upset that it wasn't Seabrook that left. I've always disliked Seabrook and was looking forward to shedding the player and the money. Sucks we had to lose Hammer because of that awful contract Seabrook has.