2017-2018 NHL discussion thread

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 11:00 PM)
Also, I know nothing about the 2 guys we got back from Phoenix, so I'll have to rely on some Hawks blogs for scouting reports.

You'll love Connor Murphy! Big kid...handles the puck pretty well and physical...loves to get his nose in it. I'm not a Yotes fan but watched them a lot being out here...and he was one of my faves. Good kid and gets after it. Don't know much about Dauphin...

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jun 24, 2017 -> 02:37 PM)
Anyone else worried about the defensive unit? Seems Hawks were struggling in that department last year and letting Hammer go we got thinner now.

More moves coming?

Oh they need to add. They know that.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jun 24, 2017 -> 12:37 PM)
Anyone else worried about the defensive unit? Seems Hawks were struggling in that department last year and letting Hammer go we got thinner now.

More moves coming?

Hawks addressing lots of issues with these moves. Got more money to work with, net front presence, younger, bigger, a back up goalie. Murphy blocks lots of shots like Hammer. Now if Murphy is a better puck handler and faster then they also addressed the ability for a defenseman to skate the puck through the neutral zone which seemed to be a big problem in Rd. 1 this year.

Sucks about Hossa, awesome 2 way player.

Panarin's days were numbered. As exciting as he was with Kane the Hawks weren't going to be able to re-sign him and he wasn't a good 2 way player

Is Campbell on his way out ? I noticed Soxpride18 didn't have him in his defensive pairings.

Any future moves what to look for ? Maybe more speed ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 25, 2017 -> 12:05 AM)
Hawks addressing lots of issues with these moves. Got more money to work with, net front presence, younger, bigger, a back up goalie. Murphy blocks lots of shots like Hammer. Now if Murphy is a better puck handler and faster then they also addressed the ability for a defenseman to skate the puck through the neutral zone which seemed to be a big problem in Rd. 1 this year.

Sucks about Hossa, awesome 2 way player.

Panarin's days were numbered. As exciting as he was with Kane the Hawks weren't going to be able to re-sign him and he wasn't a good 2 way player

Is Campbell on his way out ? I noticed Soxpride18 didn't have him in his defensive pairings.

Any future moves what to look for ? Maybe more speed ?

Didn't have him in my defensive pairing because I just made the team as it is currently constructed, Campbell is a FA.

I think they'll trade Kruger to Vegas for one of their many D guys.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 09:27 PM)
That is part of it though. Panarin is like Kane they need space to work and mostly work the edges of the ice. They Hawks have lacked the player who will get infront of the net and put in the rebound shots. You can play the edges in the regular season but need the "tough" goals in the playoffs when the game changes. The NHL more than most sports has a totally different game in the post season. look at the Hawks last year. They had one of the best records in the league but get swept in the first round and only 3 goals in 4 games doing it. They didn't need the "toughness" as in fighting but needed the players who can play in the middle.

No, it's not part of it. Again they didn't trade Panarin for Reaves. Saad is talented as hell. He just happens to be a bigger guy

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 25, 2017 -> 07:39 AM)
Didn't have him in my defensive pairing because I just made the team as it is currently constructed, Campbell is a FA.

I think they'll trade Kruger to Vegas for one of their many D guys.

Not sure Vegas would do it but getting Marc Methot wouldn't be a bad thing. He gave Crosby fits in the ECF

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 25, 2017 -> 01:34 PM)
No, it's not part of it. Again they didn't trade Panarin for Reaves. Saad is talented as hell. He just happens to be a bigger guy

Not sure Vegas would do it but getting Marc Methot wouldn't be a bad thing. He gave Crosby fits in the ECF

And plays in front of the net.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 25, 2017 -> 01:34 PM)

I would hope he did considering Crosby sliced a quarter of his finger off a couple months prior.

And I think Hawks will give that kid Rutta a chance. They seem to like him.

Keith-Murphy

Kempny-Seabrook

Forsling/Campbell-Rutta

Alot of question marks there, but alot of mobility and upside. We'll see what Bowman does down the line here.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jun 25, 2017 -> 02:56 PM)
Ugh, they have done this one too many times before. How about they scout outside of the family for once?

If Stan were to sign Sharp, I'm not sure what the hell he's trying to do. Q would use sharp in place of someone Stan wants to develop.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 10:42 AM)
If Stan were to sign Sharp, I'm not sure what the hell he's trying to do. Q would use sharp in place of someone Stan wants to develop.

If Sharp is strictly on the bottom 6, I have no issues with it. Unfortunately, you know Q is going to put him in the top 6. I'm just hoping its in spurts, not permanently.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 12:40 PM)
Spiegel & Parkins‏ @Spiegel_Parkins Jun 26

"I would be very cautious. It would have to be a situation where it was very (cap) friendly to bring Sharp back." - Eddie Olczyk

In other words, Sharp is a real piece of s*** as a human being

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 05:14 PM)
In other words, Sharp is a real piece of s*** as a human being

The whole Sharp-Keith wife thing sounds as legit as the Sandberg -Palmiero saga back in the day.

Either way, I'm against bringing in all the old ex-Hawks, but if you can get him for only six figures, it might not be the worst idea. Anything more, no thanks.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 1, 2017 -> 02:56 AM)
If it's strictly for the bottom 6, I love this move. Unfortunately, I think Q won't help himself and put him in the top 6.

Yeah we'll definitely see him on that 2nd line more often than we'd like. I guess for cheap it's w.e but I also agree that hopefully this isn't it for the summer.

Edited by TheTruth05

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 1, 2017 -> 10:04 AM)
Hawks signing Tommy Wingels too. Awesome

Saad-Toews-Panik

Schmaltz-Anisomov-Kane

Sharp-Wingels-Hartman

Hayden-Kero-Jurco

Dauphin/Hino/Tootoo

I really like that forward group

He grew up in Wilmette.