2017-2018 NHL discussion thread

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 06:22 AM)
That Panik contract ended up looking crappy. Maybe he'll play up to it in AZ but I doubt it. Duclair is a nice get,gimme youth and speed all day.

THe downside is it sounds like the kid might have some worth ethic and ego problems.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 08:47 PM)
According to Laz, Crawford may miss the rest of the season with vertigo

Jeff Glass, Conn Smythe trophy winner?

If there was any doubt a few days ago, now I definitely agree with your previous post, they just aren't good.

Interesting how Laz is just reporting it today from three sources, just a coincidence or did people.choose to leak it now?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 09:29 PM)
Jeff Glass, Conn Smythe trophy winner?

If there was any doubt a few days ago, now I definitely agree with your previous post, they just aren't good.

Interesting how Laz is just reporting it today from three sources, just a coincidence or did people.choose to leak it now?

There was a bunch of ridiculous speculation going on. They had to make a statement of some kind because the speculation was wacky, all over the place, and was painting CC in a very negative light. They had to say something to protect CC from negative rumor mongering.

Edited by Jack Parkman

If I'm Stan, I'm starting to make calls about pending UFAs, seeing what I could get for them. Central/West is too tough in 18. Reload, hopefully with a top 5 pick and go at it again in 18-19. Obviously if Crawford is done forever you have to start thinking about blowing the thing to smithereens.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 10:50 PM)
They legitimately can’t. It can’t be done.

You can trade Kane, but he isn’t full of value based on the dollar amount.

Toews value is shot. You can argue the contract is just bad now.

Keith has taken a huge step back this season and is signed through 22-23. Good luck.

Seabrook? LOL.

Oh, and I’m pretty sure all of them have NTCs

This is the core moving forward.

I know it is tough on them. All of their contracts are pretty tough going forward. Basically what I meant was considering moving Kane. I think Keith still has a good enough reputation currently that you could move him if you wanted to as well.

They have to start thinking about what to do moving forward, especially if this is basically career ending for Crawford. Didn't end well for Jonas Hiller.

Tough decisions ahead for Rocky and the Bowmans.

Edited by Jack Parkman

Didn't the Hawks save some money for this year by moving Panik? What if they just trade for a rental goalie, as a salary dump from another team?

My quick search results tell me former hawk Antti Raanta is doing pretty decent, and is a UFA after this year on a horrible Arizona team. Maybe go after Raanta?

Or see what Boston wants for their backup goalie, Anton Khudobin, who is also a UFA after this year. He ranks 8th in GAA and 6th in Save%

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jan 17, 2018 -> 01:24 AM)
Didn't the Hawks save some money for this year by moving Panik? What if they just trade for a rental goalie, as a salary dump from another team?

My quick search results tell me former hawk Antti Raanta is doing pretty decent, and is a UFA after this year on a horrible Arizona team. Maybe go after Raanta?

Or see what Boston wants for their backup goalie, Anton Khudobin, who is also a UFA after this year. He ranks 8th in GAA and 6th in Save%

Yeah, that seems likely. They have the money from the Panik trade, Hossa injury, and could save even more if Corey goes on long term IR

Luckily Bowman started the "getting younger" theme in time. They've got guys now that look the part and a few promising prospects in the cupboard, but it's a bit dire from a couple of contracts. If Crawford is indeed done, no excuse not to play the 24 year old Forsberg and see what you have in him.

Would they trade whatever they can, likely just Anisimov and just play the young guys? That's the best course of action IMO. Go young. Hopefully you finish bad enough to pick in the top 5 and reboot this thing next year if Crawford is ultimately back. If Crawford is done? Then they're toast. They have immovable contracts and trading Patrick Kane doesn't really make any sense.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 17, 2018 -> 07:30 AM)
Luckily Bowman started the "getting younger" theme in time. They've got guys now that look the part and a few promising prospects in the cupboard, but it's a bit dire from a couple of contracts. If Crawford is indeed done, no excuse not to play the 24 year old Forsberg and see what you have in him.

They definitely have made the overall roster younger. The young guys just need to figure it out sooner rather than later, because it won't do as much good in a few years when they get expensive and the big core contracts are older and still untradeable

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jan 20, 2018 -> 08:31 PM)
I would hate for this to be false but through a very solid family source I was told that Corey Crawford was reported missing by his wife to police but he has now been found under the influence of crack cocaine and is now at a rehab center. True or false, prayers for CC

Come on, really?

I do know a few guys that dabble first hand, but this would surprise me.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jan 20, 2018 -> 08:31 PM)
I would hate for this to be false but through a very solid family source I was told that Corey Crawford was reported missing by his wife to police but he has now been found under the influence of crack cocaine and is now at a rehab center. True or false, prayers for CC

You WANT it to be true??

And he doesn't have a wife.

I don't buy it. If it is true, it would eventually come out, and all this talk from the Blackhawks about how they expect him back this season would look beyond ridiculous. If it is true, he is done for this season, and they know it, so at the very least they would acknowledge that he is probably done for the season, and if they are thinking playoffs, put him on Long Term IR and open up some more cap space for additions.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jan 21, 2018 -> 05:53 AM)
I moreso meant the actual story being fake, of course I don't want it to be real, I have now heard from two separate people who have nothing to do with each other that Crawford is on something, was found and picked up at a hotel and the story is now opioids (although neither said exactly what). Like I said, it's looking like it's very serious either way. I can't see why somebody would make that up and reputable people have that story.

Wife, girlfriend, baby-momma...it's all the same. A woman called it in, no need to pick the story apart. Just take it how it is.

Your first source said crack. Your second said meth, and now you are saying opioids.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 21, 2018 -> 08:22 AM)
I don't buy it. If it is true, it would eventually come out, and all this talk from the Blackhawks about how they expect him back this season would look beyond ridiculous. If it is true, he is done for this season, and they know it, so at the very least they would acknowledge that he is probably done for the season, and if they are thinking playoffs, put him on Long Term IR and open up some more cap space for additions.

I've heard it from three separate people as well that it is cocaine.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jan 21, 2018 -> 08:54 AM)
How many times do I have to say it? Again, take it how it is. You know how stories change as it gets passed along, as I said, it's something very serious. Both sources are law enforcement.

Jesus.

You admitted neither of your sources said exactly what Crawford was supposedly on, yet you have posts mentioning one says crack, the second says meth. And then you say it's opioids. Was that source number 3? The story didn't need to change as it was passed along. You changed it yourself.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 21, 2018 -> 09:31 AM)
You admitted neither of your sources said exactly what Crawford was supposedly on, yet you have posts mentioning one says crack, the second says meth. And then you say it's opioids. Was that source number 3? The story didn't need to change as it was passed along. You changed it yourself.

To be fair to Chi Town Sox, other than him, I have heard the same thing that Crawford is in rehab from three different people.

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 21, 2018 -> 09:41 AM)
To be fair to Chi Town Sox, other than him, I have heard the same thing that Crawford is in rehab from three different people.

Maybe he is, but his first post clearly said his source said he was on crack. His second post clearly said his next source said it was meth. His 3rd post clearly said it was now opioids and his sources never said what it was. He has already contradicted himself, which with something like this, isn't OK IMO. I appreciate scoops as much as anyone, but this isn't a trade rumor or firiing or signing.

Edited by Dick Allen