2017-2018 NHL discussion thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 09:00 AM)
This year is a wasted year. I wish they would sell at the break and mini-rebuild.

They have put together a collection of younger talent, some showing signs of promise, some not so much. I think the last 14 goals had been scored by a youngster until Kane at the end of the game. If anyone is to blame for this year it's more of the guys with the big contracts, who almost all have no-trade clauses.

Hoping it's just a bad stretch for #19 and not that he's breaking down already from all the hockey he played, playoffs and international included.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 12:03 PM)
They have put together a collection of younger talent, some showing signs of promise, some not so much. I think the last 14 goals had been scored by a youngster until Kane at the end of the game. If anyone is to blame for this year it's more of the guys with the big contracts, who almost all have no-trade clauses.

Hoping it's just a bad stretch for #19 and not that he's breaking down already from all the hockey he played, playoffs and international included.

I saw some of the pregram and coming into last night's game, the previous 13 goals were scored by guys 23 and under, and I think half their goals this year have been scored by guys 25 and under. So it is a rebuild on the fly. Except for Kane and Crawford, they have either really young guys, or guys they couldn't give away with their contracts. Maybe Saad, but it isn't exactly primo time to be trading him.

The young guys are showing some promise. They have to somehow turn back the clock a bit and get Crawford back.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 06:40 PM)
Who can they trade other than Kane? All the other contracts are pretty bad

Yup, they basically have to hope some of the young guys take the next step into legit contributors because those bad contracts are going nowhere. They might be stuck in hockey hell for a while if that doesn't happen but the run was more than worth it. Who knows,maybe Toews can hit that 2nd wind of his career. Dude is only 29.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 10:42 PM)
Looks like the Hawks are gonna be in the lottery this year (which honestly might be the best thing for this franchise). 4.5% odds of the #1 pick and rising.

Time to move on from Q? He's not exactly the guy I would want rebuilding.

Of course, the Blackhawks don't exactly have the situation to rebuild

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 11:04 PM)
Time to move on from Q? He's not exactly the guy I would want rebuilding.

Of course, the Blackhawks don't exactly have the situation to rebuild

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 11:52 PM)
Two first round exits and now missing the playoffs.

No one will have to be convinced that Q should go at this point. It’s time.

Have to agree, not a hot take anymore. He's enshrined in this city but I want a coach that'll play the kids.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 9, 2018 -> 08:49 AM)
And the Hawks seem to be the least patient team in town.

The thing about the Hawks now is they are so worried about image and presentation under McDonough, that it's hard to simply fire Q on the spot when the team struggles. It has to all be planned out to a T to keep all the media coverage positive (not that the Chicago media cares enough to be critical of the Hawks).

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 10:42 PM)
Looks like the Hawks are gonna be in the lottery this year (which honestly might be the best thing for this franchise). 4.5% odds of the #1 pick and rising.

We're probably better off just rooting for the losses to start piling up at this point for better lottery odds and hoping the ping pong balls fall their way.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Feb 9, 2018 -> 09:30 AM)
We're probably better off just rooting for the losses to start piling up at this point for better lottery odds and hoping the ping pong balls fall their way.

It feels really s***ty and painful, but I think you're right. I just keep holding out hope that "Yeah, but when Crawford comes back maybe!".....and they just keep....f***ing....losing.