2017-2018 NHL discussion thread

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 10, 2017 -> 07:48 PM)
Something has changed in the "culture"

It's not just a talent thing. There is NO energy from Kane, Toews Saad, Keith ect.

I was just thinking that recently. It seems the Saad trade as well as all of the moves this past off season have caused them to take another step back this season.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 08:16 AM)
I was just thinking that recently. It seems the Saad trade as well as all of the moves this past off season have caused them to take another step back this season.

They are getting more than enough shots every night though. Statistically I am not sure there is much that supports "lack of energy" unless I am missing something.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 08:57 AM)
They are getting more than enough shots every night though. Statistically I am not sure there is much that supports "lack of energy" unless I am missing something.

They are right up there in shots per game, but also near the top in shots given up per game. It just seems like their shots aren't of the highest quality or very dangerous chances. On Friday night, they had 51 shots, but in no way did I think they should have scored more goals. They seem to just be happy getting it to the goaltender, which might work better if you have a big net presence up front, which they don't.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 07:50 AM)
With 3 straight home games against the 3 worst teams in hockey coming up, the next week will tell us if it's time to panic yet.

6 out of 6 points is taking care of business, but can't say it changed much of my opinion. One home game left in 2017, so they'll have to make up some more ground on the road

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 06:16 AM)

Not sure I would blame the moves. I know weird time to say this since now they have strung together some wins but Toews is a good player just not what he was when the Hawks were winning Cups. What is this like the 3rd year in a row he hasn't been as productive as we expect he could be ? Also Keith absolutely sucks on the PP. I have seen him make so many telegraphed passes. He's just not creative enough and scoring no goals thus far isn't a big help either. I was actually pleased to see Franson getting more time on the PP. WHen you are glad about that something is wrong.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2017 -> 06:53 AM)
And of course don't under estimate the loss of Hossa.

Yea if you think of it as replacing Hossa with Sharp then that is a move that has hurt a lot. Nice win tonight though against the Wild for the 5th win in a row. Crow is on a roll. And some of the role players recently are stepping up like Wingels, Hinostroza, Oesterle, Hartman and Kempny.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 08:55 PM)
Yea if you think of it as replacing Hossa with Sharp then that is a move that has hurt a lot. Nice win tonight though against the Wild for the 5th win in a row. Crow is on a roll. And some of the role players recently are stepping up like Wingels, Hinostroza, Oesterle, Hartman and Kempny.

These last two games are probably their best since the opening two games.

• 2 weeks later...