2017-2018 NHL discussion thread

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 11, 2018 -> 04:07 PM)
I can''t blame him. His job, his entire profession, is to cover the Blackhawks and grow his audience. It's 2018, so he is required at this point to be on Twitter as much as he can. Dealing with the idiots that spend their life on "angry Twitter" takes a toll, and clearly he hit his breaking point. He knew it wasn't going to accomplish much, but again, I don't blame him. It's people like this that are the problem. The "It's only social media, I'm supposed to be a troll" guy...

https://twitter.com/thebillyterrill/status/...562288917065731

I am idiot, but its OK because I am on social media! :fight

These people should remember that the 2009-2017 Hawks had the second most successful run in CHICAGO SPORTS HISTORY. Only the 91-98 Bulls can top what they've accomplished. Nobody should be mad, this is the price of success in a hard cap league. These guys are Chicago sports legends, and rightly so, and should be treated as such.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 10, 2018 -> 08:42 PM)
This might be the greatest save I've ever seen.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KOD1AK/status/962496538701377537

The guy who used to be best known for starting a SCF game because goalie #1 s*** his pants has turned out to be a hell of a goalie himself. That save is incredible, the anticipation to go behind his back so early.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 03:52 PM)
Hated him, or disliked him as a player? Lazerus’ point is that people are saying ignorant, personal s*** about these guys

As a player. I can't tell you a single thing about him personally, other than he gave his kid a dumb name. My initial dislike of him was a joke with friends because I have a friend who is obsessed with Seabs, but then I really started to hate his game honestly.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 03:52 PM)
Hated him, or disliked him as a player? Lazerus’ point is that people are saying ignorant, personal s*** about these guys

I think the vast majority of these people are the bandwagon fans who hopped on in 2010, took off work to go to all of the parades, and still can't name 10 players on the team. The fans who were diehards previously do respect these guys for what they have done, understand the run they had was awesome, and realize fFather Time is undefeated.

The best news of this entire season for the Blackhawks

Charlie Roumeliotis‏ @CRoumeliotis 13h13 hours ago Eddie Olczyk says on @NBCSChicago that he'll have final chemo treatment Monday and has #Blackhawks west coast trip starting March 1 circled "in permanent marker" as official return date to broadcast booth.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 04:34 AM)
I think the vast majority of these people are the bandwagon fans who hopped on in 2010, took off work to go to all of the parades, and still can't name 10 players on the team. The fans who were diehards previously do respect these guys for what they have done, understand the run they had was awesome, and realize fFather Time is undefeated.

I do agree with what you say, but your last statement has always bothered me. I realize the sports gm’s have a pretty hard job, especially the mental aspect of when to move on from a player and risk the anger of fans. I will also state that I’ve been a Blackhawks fan since the Hull, Mikita, Esposito days; but I’m just that, a fan, not an expert.

I really hate the way the NHL is operated now in that it forces good teams, who draft well, to give up assets due to a hard cap. Nick Leddy comes to mind among others. It’s tricky to stay on top very long, you have to choose the right players to part with.

That said, I think where the Blackhawks have really erred is in who they traded and who they decided to sign long term contracts with that included no trade, or hard to trade clauses. I for one, again admittedly as a novice, was pretty sure that Jonathan Toews would not age well. I could tell at least 2 or 3 years ago, after several concussions that he was no where near the same player he once was. I realize he is a good leader, but honestly, I would of traded him right after the last cup win.

Patrick Kane is still okay, but again seems to be a step slower and doesn’t seem to scare opponents the way he used to by stickhandling right passed them.

Duncan Kieth is still a good defenseman overall, but has definitely lost a step or 2 in the last couple of years. Keith is probably the one player I would of kept though. Brent Seabrook lost whatever speed he had at least 3 or 4 years ago. I don’t know if anyone saw the Crawford stuff coming, but if you were that close to the team you had to be aware of his concussion & vertigo issues as well. It really is hard to watch these guys now, I much rather pay attention to the kids.

I say all this also admitting I have no idea what was being offered for any of these guys 2, 3, 4 years ago. I also realize that Dale Tallon was the actual architect that constructed the nucleus of the championship teams, so who knows what Stan Bowman would of done if he had several young players or draft picks from trading these guys. I just think, especially after the last cup win, that I would of risked the ire of Hawk fans and traded some of this core group to try to keep the dynasty going. It’s hard to watch even the bad teams out skate the Hawks now.

JMHO. Hindsight is usually 20/20.

Paul Skrbina‏ @ChiTribSkrbina 5m5 minutes ago Slight clarification: he was asked whether there was any concern it could become career-threatening.

Paul Skrbina @ChiTribSkrbina Joel Quenneville when asked whether Corey Crawford's injury was career-threatening: "Not sure about that. Too far out (to tell)."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 16, 2018 -> 01:59 PM)
Paul Skrbina‏ @ChiTribSkrbina 5m5 minutes ago Slight clarification: he was asked whether there was any concern it could become career-threatening.

Paul Skrbina @ChiTribSkrbina Joel Quenneville when asked whether Corey Crawford's injury was career-threatening: "Not sure about that. Too far out (to tell)."

Adding even more evidence that its not an actual injury.