2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

The Warriors control the key parts for the next three years, essentially. Livingston, Iguodala and then Klay Thompson will probably be the first Core Four guy to go. But not anytime soon.

https://sports.yahoo.com/potential-pitfall-...-140717749.html

If Durant structures his contract in a certain way, they can keep Livingston and Iggy.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 07:38 PM)
Can't wait to argue with you guys all offseason. :)

I unfortunately don't care enough anymore, even if Gar's car breaks down trying to sign Deron Williams. Don't have the energy to complain anymore.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 05:49 PM)
The big question is whether J4L will go into hiding...maybe, unless Durant shocks the world and leaves Golden State, or Curry.

Odds of either happening, not quite nil, but insignificant nonetheless.

Next year Lebron is going to join Paul in LA (with Clippers). We will see who else is there with the Clippers...I presume Wade will be there as well.

Things to I'm looking forward to in 2018 in no particular order:

Sixer - are they finally healthy? is the process finally going to pay off? How good is Ben Simmons?

Bucks - can the Greek Freak get better? With he lead the Bucks into the East upper echelon with a core of Middleton, Parker, the President, and Thon Maker?

Clippers - are they finally breaking up?

Spurs - Will they add CP3 and put more pressure on Warriors?

Thunder - What is Russ going to do this year?

Jazz - can they win with defense? can they have a dynamic scorer to put them over the top?

Lonzo/LaVar - are they going Hollywood, if so, can I avoid hearing their name on Sports Center every 5 minutes?

Pelicans - how effective will the modern day twin tower be over a full season?

Celics - will whoever their draft at #1 make an immediate impact?

Bulls - I'm betting they stand pat this off season. Will they prove me wrong?

Who's the actual generational talent - Kristaps Porzingis or Nikola Jokic?

EDIT: Lebron, is he on the move again?

Edited by 2005thxfrthmmrs

The Celtics should trade some picks (including next year's nets pick, but not this year's) and trade for George. They also appear to be slight favorites to get Hayward right now. A lineup of Thomas, Fultz, Hayward, George, and Horford could beat the cavs I think and give the Warriors a run for their money.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 10:53 AM)
The Celtics should trade some picks (including next year's nets pick, but not this year's) and trade for George. They also appear to be slight favorites to get Hayward right now. A lineup of Thomas, Fultz, Hayward, George, and Horford could beat the cavs I think and give the Warriors a run for their money.

I don't know if Pacers would agree to trade George without the guaranteed #1 overall. If it's 2018 Nets pick, they may have to include two of Smart, Brown and Crowder in the deal. Even if they sign Hayward, I think they definitely need another proven scorer like George to hang with the Cavs or Warriors.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 11:42 AM)
I don't know if Pacers would agree to trade George without the guaranteed #1 overall. If it's 2018 Nets pick, they may have to include two of Smart, Brown and Crowder in the deal. Even if they sign Hayward, I think they definitely need another proven scorer like George to hang with the Cavs or Warriors.

The issue is that the pacers have no leverage. George didn't make an all nba team so he's not eligible for the super max and no team is going to give up substantial pieces for him because most expect him to bolt after one year to the Lakers. The Celtics can still give up a good package and gamble because it'll be tough for George to leave a team with that kind of talent on it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 08:17 AM)
Next year Lebron is going to join Paul in LA (with Clippers). We will see who else is there with the Clippers...I presume Wade will be there as well.

I really hope he isn't that stupid.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 11:55 AM)
What ring chasing veterans with some left in the tank will be joining the Warriors?

Karl Malone

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 11:58 AM)
I really hope he isn't that stupid.

The Cavs are cooked, they can't beat the Warriors and have 0 flexibility to do anything to bigly improve the team. GM Lebron screwed them with all the money dumped to Smith/Thompson/Shumpert. The only option they have is to trade Love somewhere.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 10:01 AM)
The Cavs are cooked, they can't beat the Warriors and have 0 flexibility to do anything to bigly improve the team. GM Lebron screwed them with all the money dumped to Smith/Thompson/Shumpert. The only option they have is to trade Love somewhere.

Going to the West to pair with Paul and Wade isn't going to help him beat the Warriors either.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 12:03 PM)
Going to the West to pair with Paul and Wade isn't going to help him beat the Warriors either.

It would be a better shot than the Cavs have now. There's nowhere in the East they can go

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 11:04 AM)
It would be a better shot than the Cavs have now. There's nowhere in the East they can go

They can go to the Finals every year, for starters.

Not sure I follow...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 01:09 PM)
They can go to the Finals every year, for starters.

Not sure I follow...

The Cavs cannot beat the Warriors (w/ Durant). The Cavs have 0 flexibility to do anything significant outside of something stupid like trading for Melo's corpse.

Going out to LA they (Bron, PG, etc) have more options/draft picks/younger talent. Still have to make it through the Warriors, but they'd have a better shot than the Cavs do.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 02:26 PM)
The Cavs cannot beat the Warriors (w/ Durant). The Cavs have 0 flexibility to do anything significant outside of something stupid like trading for Melo's corpse.

Going out to LA they (Bron, PG, etc) have more options/draft picks/younger talent. Still have to make it through the Warriors, but they'd have a better shot than the Cavs do.

Yeah, I just think he is more likely to take a step back than anything that way.

As much as people say this series was not competitive, if Cleveland wins game 3 like they should have this could have been an awesome series.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 10:53 AM)

George likely wouldn't stay in Boston though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 11:18 AM)

Lot of rumors that Jackson of Kansas may be there choice instead of Fultz. If so, George would't happen but Hayward might.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 10:18 AM)

It would be hard for him to leave that team, with those players and an awesome coach, to go to LA. That's why it would be a gamble for Boston. They're oozing assets. Time to make a play.