2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

Don't let this distract you from the the fact that in 1966, Al Bundy scored four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis, Bubba "Spare Tire" Dixon.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 05:43 PM)
Don't let this distract you from the the fact that in 1966, Al Bundy scored four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis, Bubba "Spare Tire" Dixon.

No ma'am

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 04:22 PM)
I have not heard Michael Porter be described as unathletic before that article.

It's The Ringer. I don't think they follow basketball outside the NBA much.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 06:44 PM)
Irving is by far the best player. It's a win for Boston. Although the draft pick is something.

Agreed. Celts won since it's the NBA and they definitely got the best player. Kyrie is the best at the rim finisher I've ever seen who plays PG. He is absolute beast mode in the playoffs.

That said, still a hell of a trade for a player who requested to be traded. Bulls stay losing.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 06:52 PM)
Agreed. Celts won since it's the NBA and they definitely got the best player. Kyrie is the best at the rim finisher I've ever seen who plays PG. He is absolute beast mode in the playoffs.

That said, still a hell of a trade for a player who requested to be traded. Bulls stay losing.

I would argue Cleveland is better after this trade

Kyrie is way better. IT2 has only had one year at this level, has a hip issue, is several years older and one less year on his deal.

Now "way better" doesn't necessarily equate to a top-5 pick and a solid wing on a good deal (plus Zizic is kind of interesting), but I digress.

Boston had to do SOMETHING at some point, they don't have enough roster spots, playing time or money to keep everyone.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 04:40 PM)
So WTF? Ainge basically thinks he's getting an extra year of security out of the guy and in exchange he gives up the draft pick? Do people think that Irving is a better player than Thomas?

I do. That said, I don't get why Ainge is willing to this yet make weak offers to Bulls for Butler (where they could have put him with IT and others). I do think in isolation Irving is better then Thomas. That said, I think in aggregate, Boston paid a hefty price. Very good deal for Cleveland though. Getting the Nets pick puts them in a much better position if LBJ walks (and at that point I presume they'd also move IT).

Kyrie is better but I completely disagree that he's way better. I don't think this trade makes Cleveland better this year but it doesn't make Boston better than them either. Cleveland is still going to win the east(unless LeBron dies) and they're going to have a top 3 pick. Meanwhile, Boston will still finish 2nd in the east and lost a top 3 pick.