2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 08:02 PM)
Bamba would've been ideal back in the early 2000s as a Ben Wallace type player. His offensive game is really, really lacking.

It's all the switching, though. Bamba has the athleticism/length/lateral movement to switch/help/recover,etc. How many DPOY'S did Dwight win? Bamba could win more. He has the potential to be that much of a game-changer defensively. I don't care if he only maxes out at 13-15 ppg.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 02:56 PM)
So do the "LeBron to the Bulls" rumors pick up in the off-season?

Dunn-LaVine-LeBron-Markkenen-Random Center?

I think Lebron on the Bulls is a legit title team, but I could say that about a lot of teams on the east. I don't think he's coming unless Wade has really good things to say (and I have a feeling he won't, but who knows). And that is coming from Mr. optimist (me).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 03:04 PM)
My guess is it all depends on whether or not people are spooked by the Lakers looking like a mess. They've clearly got the money for 2 max deals, if Lebron and George want to play there they will be able to play there. If they don't want to deal with that, then all of a sudden the Bulls have as good of a shot as anyone other than maybe Cleveland.

The only way the Lakers rebuild is if they get Lebron. Otherwise they are screwed for a while (maybe I'm wrong but I don't see it). Being bad creates just a drain on a culture that can't be explained. It is not much different than the Corporate world where a bad company has this inability to right the ship (so to speak). Yes there are no drafts, etc, but bad is something that can easily become toxic.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 04:46 PM)
I've always thought AD's destiny was to return to Chicago

2 years until that could happen (via FA, correct)? I think AD coming to Chicago could be the piece that they do a year from now (if he forces a trade after Boogie leaves, etc).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 04:54 PM)
I liked him from jump. From college to that euro tournament or whatever you call it before the season started. His skillset is tailor-made for modern nba basketball. And I wasn't wrong on KP. When healthy, he's a two-way terror. But he's dinged up a lot. And his stamina isn't the greatest at times. But his skills at that size? Yes. Generational.

Oh I wasn't saying you were necessarily wrong on KP, I'm saying Lauri could be as good or better (or he could be a lot worse...I don't know) but damn he's good and damn he's fun to watch. I loved when he flexed the muscles last night. Interesting stat, this years Bulls team is only 4 years off of last years teams current pace.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 06:10 PM)
It's all the switching, though. Bamba has the athleticism/length/lateral movement to switch/help/recover,etc. How many DPOY'S did Dwight win? Bamba could win more. He has the potential to be that much of a game-changer defensively. I don't care if he only maxes out at 13-15 ppg.

But look at Dwight in the new NBA (or current NBA). Part of that is Dwight was never the same (post Orlando) but his skill set has failed to change the game long-term. I do think a legit low post threat who can be a beast back to the basket player, could change the dynamic in this NBA (because so few guys would be capable of guarding them). Shaq would be insane in this NBA (outside of his inability to hit free throws). The counter to that would be defensively what would other teams do. Would be interesting to see.

KC Johnson reporting Jeriam Grant on the block. Presuming it means we will see more of Denzel and Lavigne at point. Bulls also plan on giving Payne some minutes. Grant is nothing more then backup and playing Payne minutes might help the tank. Haha. Who knows though , at this point maybe hoiberg turns Payne into something. Never thought I’d say that but I like Fred now.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 08:51 PM)
But look at Dwight in the new NBA (or current NBA). Part of that is Dwight was never the same (post Orlando) but his skill set has failed to change the game long-term. I do think a legit low post threat who can be a beast back to the basket player, could change the dynamic in this NBA (because so few guys would be capable of guarding them). Shaq would be insane in this NBA (outside of his inability to hit free throws). The counter to that would be defensively what would other teams do. Would be interesting to see.

Howard lost so much of his explosiveness over the last 2-3 years because of all the injuries.

Maybe a better example would be Sean Kemp in his prime...or Amar'e Stoudamire. Maybe Blake Griffin.

Millsap and Draymond Green don't really fit.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 07:46 PM)
I've always thought AD's destiny was to return to Chicago

Generally speaking he's a good fit but he's under contract for the next 3 seasons after this one, which means even if NOLA looses Cousins they still have him with little reason to move him.

If the Bulls were to win the lottery or pick up something amazing like the extra pick the Cavs got in a trade for their current assets, maybe you could come up with a match, but that seems like something way down the line if ever.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 17, 2018 -> 12:08 PM)
Sheep.jpg

You aren't a little bit excited for Dunn, Markannen and Levine? You're not a little optimistic that Fred's offense is actually pretty fun to watch when he has guys that can run it?

I've traveled far from the depths of despair I was at following the Butler trade. I actually see some light at the end of the tunnel. Long way to go, but a lottery pick this year and a FA signing or two and I think they're one of the top 3-4 contenders in the post-Lebron-in-the-East era.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

The Butler trade has gone much better than I expected. I clearly underestimated Lauri's athleticism and I had zero expectations for Dunn.

That said, they still need at least one more major piece, especially assuming they move Niko and Lopez. Otherwise I think the best we can hope for is a 2005 like season. I remain highly skeptical that this management group will pull that off, especially since they're playing their way later into the lottery.

Losing may not be a huge deal. If they get into the 10-13 range, they can put a package together to move up. The Bulls 1st round pick and hopefully another 1st round pick they get for Niko. A bunch of those teams at the top of the draft need more than one guy.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 17, 2018 -> 05:48 PM)
Losing may not be a huge deal. If they get into the 10-13 range, they can put a package together to move up. The Bulls 1st round pick and hopefully another 1st round pick they get for Niko. A bunch of those teams at the top of the draft need more than one guy.

This isn't the NFL. Teams don't move down from the chance to get a superstar by adding a mid-late first round pick.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 17, 2018 -> 08:01 PM)
Hypothetical: bulls are picking 6th. Possible Bamba territory or MPJ falling.

The sixers call and offer Fultz, who hasnt played all year due to a made up injury.

Do you take it?

Hard pass.