2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 20, 2018 -> 02:08 PM)
Indeed. And after reading it I'm even more convinced the next three titles are spoken for unless KD or Steph get hurt.

Which is a problem with the NBA. Bulls fans had it the other way back in the day when basically every team was in NBA hell until they got old and/or hurt. Lebron can go to the Lakers next year, and it will make them much better, but they won't have a chance unless GS has injuries. Basically, teams have to plan for when they get vulnerable. And 3 or 4 years seems about right.

NBA has to get more aggressive in reducing the incentives for losing, in particular reducing the incentive to be the worst or bottom 3. Not good for the league to punish a team like the Bulls to finish the year with a .400 W-L just because they didn't intentionally avoid having any talent. And of course anyone who likes to watch games hates that so many teams aren't even trying.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 20, 2018 -> 07:04 PM)
NBA has to get more aggressive in reducing the incentives for losing, in particular reducing the incentive to be the worst or bottom 3. Not good for the league to punish a team like the Bulls to finish the year with a .400 W-L just because they didn't intentionally avoid having any talent. And of course anyone who likes to watch games hates that so many teams aren't even trying.

Here's the problem. Convince me that a #7 seed can even get to the 2nd round, let alone win the title. This is the same problem baseball is starting to see. If a #7 seed has absolutely no shot, then they are stuck in NBA Hell - not good enough to be a finals team, but too good to get a draft pick likely to turn into a star. Unless as a #8 seed you can sign a Lebron James, you have a choice - either be happy filling your stadium as a first round exiting playoff team, or lose.

As long as the Warriors and a handful of other teams are superteams, this will remain an unsolvable problem.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 20, 2018 -> 06:32 PM)
Here's the problem. Convince me that a #7 seed can even get to the 2nd round, let alone win the title. This is the same problem baseball is starting to see. If a #7 seed has absolutely no shot, then they are stuck in NBA Hell - not good enough to be a finals team, but too good to get a draft pick likely to turn into a star. Unless as a #8 seed you can sign a Lebron James, you have a choice - either be happy filling your stadium as a first round exiting playoff team, or lose.

As long as the Warriors and a handful of other teams are superteams, this will remain an unsolvable problem.

In baseball, the WC and then the first round of games...the probability of upsets is higher.

When you have seven game series (especially with home court advantage in basketball to the best teams), it’s that much harder.

Imagine the general feeling about the NBA if Draymond Green wasn’t suspended two years ago and the Warriors had won 3 in a row instead of 2/3.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 20, 2018 -> 06:32 PM)

I honestly think if you simply raise the max salary this all sorts itself out. Personally I’d love that and it would bring the NBA to what it once was, but it seems like quite a few people prefer a league with a couple superteams and a bunch of fodder.

Apparently Kawhi and the Spurs are "growing apart" due to discontent over his prolonged rehab.

Dunn, Niko, non 2018 1st for Kawhi. Make the offer and give them something to think about.

And before anyone in here gripes about Kris freaking Dunn, point guards are a dime a dozen in this NBA, and if you believe in Hoi-ball, the next man up could take care of business.

PG open tryouts

SG Zach LaVine

SF Kawhi Leonard

PF Lauri Markkanen

C open tryouts

Those three right there are a building block to a title.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 01:43 PM)
Who wants a 17/18 Bulls calendar!?

s-l500.jpg

we had a secret santa exchange in 2016 and I got a White Sox calendar. Front cover pic is Frazier, Eaton, Lawrie, and Austin Jackson. Months are Lawrie, Frazier, Melky, Duke, Rodon, Eaton, Saladino, Robertson, Avi, Sale, Abreu, and Quintana.

I never even opened it, when i got it i just laughed to myself

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 11:14 AM)
Apparently Kawhi and the Spurs are "growing apart" due to discontent over his prolonged rehab.

Dunn, Niko, non 2018 1st for Kawhi. Make the offer and give them something to think about.

And before anyone in here gripes about Kris freaking Dunn, point guards are a dime a dozen in this NBA, and if you believe in Hoi-ball, the next man up could take care of business.

PG open tryouts

SG Zach LaVine

SF Kawhi Leonard

PF Lauri Markkanen

C open tryouts

Those three right there are a building block to a title.

I'd be all over that deal.