2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

How much longer is Dunn out? I don't mind all this losing while he is out...as long as Lavine eventually gets things right. Wouldn't want him to struggle for a really really long time because than it makes it a much more difficult decision to process (given he is going to be a RFA this year).

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 11:09 AM)
I don't think there will be a standard "x amount of time" considering it's a concussion. I'd guess another week but maybe longer.

You are supposed to be out 2 days for every day of symptoms, so it really isn't a clear thing. Depends on how bad it was and if he is still suffering.

ESPN had a fake trade idea between the Cavs and the Bulls:

Bulls give up Mirotic and Lopez

Cavs give up Love, Shumpert and the Nets pick.

It's actually a compelling trade idea for both teams. Cavs would get out of Love's expensive contract (50 million over the next 2 seasons). Lopez gives them a decent rim protector. Niko obviously gives them more shooting.

The Bulls get a good player in Love, a bench guy in Shumpert they can drop after next year and another lottery pick.

This will never happen because Love is the fall back franchise player when Lebron leaves and that Nets pick is overvalued, but it's an idea.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 11:45 AM)

It's actually a compelling trade idea for both teams. Cavs would get out of Love's expensive contract (50 million over the next 2 seasons). Lopez gives them a decent rim protector. Niko obviously gives them more shooting.

The Bulls get a good player in Love, a bench guy in Shumpert they can drop after next year and another lottery pick.

This will never happen because Love is the fall back franchise player when Lebron leaves and that Nets pick is overvalued, but it's an idea.

It's a no brainer for the Bulls. I don't know why Cleveland makes this deal.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 05:45 PM)

No way. Bulls get the 2 best assets (Love and pick) here.

The Cavs have likely:

- One last hurrah for 2018

AND

- A rebuild coming up in 2019

That trade to me neither obviously pushes them over the edge in 2018 and also gives a big blow to a rebuild by losing a lotto pick.

Maybe they could then afford getting avery bradley to get some defensive help if it works contractually but I don't know why that trade makes sense.

They got an unprotected lottery pick and a second round pick, a flyer on an all star point guard and Jae Crowder, who sucks now but clearly seemed to be an in-his-prime fairly cheap 14 and 6 guy. And Zizic.

Unprotected 1st rounders that are likely top 10 are incredibly valuable. That's not next to nothing.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 04:49 PM)
They got an unprotected lottery pick and a second round pick, a flyer on an all star point guard and Jae Crowder, who sucks now but clearly seemed to be an in-his-prime fairly cheap 14 and 6 guy. And Zizic.

Unprotected 1st rounders that are likely top 10 are incredibly valuable. That's not next to nothing.

They got a mid to late lottery pick and some warm bodies. Thats next to nothing for a superstar.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 06:46 PM)
🚨 Blake Griffin Trade Done 🚨: Clippers trade Blake Griffin to Pistons for Tobias Harris, Avery Bradley, Boban Marjanovic and 2 draft picks (Woj)

I don't know if I get this trade from either side at the moment. Unless Clippers can flip Harris and Bradley.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 08:06 PM)
That pick is 1-4 protected till 2021 (unprotected).

And Dan Gilbert with 5-6 of his scouts were at the Oklahoma game a couple days ago to see Young and Sexton so I doubt Brooklyn pick is in the works.

It shouldn't be. Gilbert isn't gonna let LeBron fist-f*** him again.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 08:06 PM)
That pick is 1-4 protected till 2021 (unprotected).

And Dan Gilbert with 5-6 of his scouts were at the Oklahoma game a couple days ago to see Young and Sexton so I doubt Brooklyn pick is in the works.

Personally, I think Young is the better choice (vs. Sexton) because of his incredible shooting range and quick release.

It reminds me of the debate about DeAaron Fox coming into that draft...Collin Sexton's definitely more explosive and a dynamic athlete, sort of a mini-Westbrook, BUT.

All things considered, Young has such a wonderful sense of spacing and the floor, and he can always work on building his strength/speed/quickness with trainers at the next level. Up until the Alabama game, he hasn't been pressured so much physically since his high school days in Norman.

The other thing is that Young doesn't have nearly the supporting cast that players like Bagley and Ayton have surrounding them. Who's the second best player on Oklahoma? Or the 3rd? Manek? McGusty? James? It changes on a nightly basis. Manek MIGHT have the upside of a 12th or 13th man on a non-playoff NBA roster.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 08:18 PM)
Personally, I think Young is the better choice (vs. Sexton) because of his incredible shooting range and quick release.

I'm just going to say DUH to this statement. That BKN pick is behind the Bulls currently at 8th, so Young is likely gone anyways if the season ended today and that pick stays at 8 during the lottery.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 08:18 PM)
Drummond/Griffin should at the very least be interesting.

A poor man's Davis and Boogie, though in the East thats definitely good enough to make some noise.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 08:23 PM)
I'm just going to say DUH to this statement. That BKN pick is behind the Bulls currently at 8th, so Young is likely gone anyways if the season ended today and that pick stays at 8 during the lottery.

A poor man's Davis and Boogie, though in the East thats definitely good enough to make some noise.

There will always be 8-12 NBA GM's who go for the "off the charts" potential of a Collin Sexton...nearly every draft has 3-5 players like that in the first round (see Frank Ntilikina vs Dennis Scott, Jr.)

My point wasn't so much about the Bulls (who I could care less about) rather than Young vs. Sexton, who will be the better pro...not whether Young's going to last that long in the first 10 picks.