2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

Apparently LeBron would consider Golden State as a landing spot in free agency.

Of course he would. But I can't picture a way in which the league and the PA would allow for this to happen, as the deal would be predicated on one party taking a pay cut.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 10:01 AM)

Of course he would. But I can't picture a way in which the league and the PA would allow for this to happen, as the deal would be predicated on one party taking a pay cut.

That would be awesome.

That article is such garbage and all opinion. Says he COULD talk to Golden State. ESPN just trying to garner attention.

The first few setnences of that ESPN article are such crap and just ESPN trying to make a news headline out of thin air. And it worked.

OAKLAND, Calif. -- If the Golden State Warriors can create a max salary slot this offseason, the defending NBA champions could position themselves to secure a meeting with LeBron James, league sources told ESPN.

There is no indication that Golden State is evaluating such options to acquire the Cleveland Cavaliers star at this time.

Out of respect for the Warriors' winning culture, James would listen if Golden State explored ways to clear the necessary cap space, sources said.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2228138...ay-lebron-james

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 10:04 AM)
That article is such garbage and all opinion. Says he COULD talk to Golden State. ESPN just trying to garner attention.

Good point. They kind of throw out that "LeBron would talk with the Warriors" but leave out all the caveats:

-KD or LeBron would have to take less money

-Iguadala/Thompson would have to go

-GS would have to free up space

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 10:09 AM)
My Lebron prediction right now would be Houston. Nothing to back it up but seems closer to winning than the Lakers, especially with Ball so inconsistent.

LeBron wins 0 more championships in the west. He's great, but he's not that anymore. He can't beat a Warriors juggernaut again.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 10:11 AM)
LeBron wins 0 more championships in the west. He's great, but he's not that anymore. He can't beat a Warriors juggernaut again.

He wins 0 more in the East as well, but think Houston gives him the best shot.

Boston would have been the best situation for him, by far, but I think that ship has sailed since they got Kyrie (unless Lebron picking him in the ASG is trying to mend fences).

Another interesting team would be the sixers. If Lebron can coordinate moves where Simmons and Fultz net back very good veteran pieces he might want to go there. Very similar to the Cavs situation he went into when he knew they were getting Love (if he can coordinate it again)

Edited by Da_Goob

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 11:08 AM)
If LeBron goes that route, not only will he completely tarnish his legacy, but all of the tanking teams (and good teams in general) can just forget about competing in the next 3-4 years anyways.

Let's say, hypothetically, there's a talent surplus in GS and Houston. In that situation, with two super teams, every other team should tank in their best interest. At that point you can picture the league moving to a draft wheel to effectively end tanking.

Lebron going to Golden State would suck but I'm not going to worry about it right now. I love watching basketball. Just love it. Such a fun sport...if only I could go to more games in person. Too cheap to buy tickets and no longer work in consulting where I have big expense account haha. Am left to about one game a year. Heck I've enjoyed watching the Bulls this year (when Dunn and Lauri are on the court). I can't say they are enjoyable at all when Jerian Grant plays.

I'm starting to hope we can pull of a trade for a New Orleans 1st round pick and than work the Cavs to get the Nets pick. No idea how to do it but Cavs might get desperate enough and maybe we can take on some contracts from Pelicans to facilitate something for them. Probably unrealistic for both to happen but I think we might be able to come up with something interesting to get the Nets pick.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 12:37 PM)
Lebron going to Golden State would suck but I'm not going to worry about it right now. I love watching basketball. Just love it. Such a fun sport...if only I could go to more games in person. Too cheap to buy tickets and no longer work in consulting where I have big expense account haha. Am left to about one game a year. Heck I've enjoyed watching the Bulls this year (when Dunn and Lauri are on the court). I can't say they are enjoyable at all when Jerian Grant plays.

I'm starting to hope we can pull of a trade for a New Orleans 1st round pick and than work the Cavs to get the Nets pick. No idea how to do it but Cavs might get desperate enough and maybe we can take on some contracts from Pelicans to facilitate something for them. Probably unrealistic for both to happen but I think we might be able to come up with something interesting to get the Nets pick.

What the hell do the Bulls have that the Cavs would be willing to give up for the Nets pick other than Lauri? It is beyond unrealistic.

Glad the pick was only top 5 protected, for a while the way tweets were coming out it seemed like it may not even be a 2018 pick.

The trade takes a little bit of a hit for me though with the monroe signing. I felt pretty confident that team was gonna falter. They are still worse, but may only be the last team out in the west.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 12:35 PM)
What the hell do the Bulls have that the Cavs would be willing to give up for the Nets pick other than Lauri? It is beyond unrealistic.

I'm inclined to agree. RoLo might be good for Cleveland but the Nets pick isn't going to come back for that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 12:43 PM)
Sounds like

NO Gets

Niko (with 2019 option picked up)

2nd round pick Bulls got for Pondexter

Rights to swap 2nd rounders in 2/3 years

Chi gets

1st round pick

Jameer Nelson (to be waived)

Tony Allen (to be waived)

Omer Asik

Apparently for cap purposes, the Bulls were below the floor prior to this trade. Maybe it gets them in compliance, so the additional money would have had to have been spent one way or another.