2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 02:35 PM)
Bulls will not deal Lopez unless they get an asset for him. He's too strong of a presence and quality veteran to have the young players for the rebuild. If they get something worthwhile...sure...otherwise it isn't happening. I heard Woj on about a week ago and he had mentioned something to that effect.

He hurts the tank. The biggest reason to trade him is to stockpile losses

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 12:50 PM)
He hurts the tank. The biggest reason to trade him is to stockpile losses

I don't agree with that logic. Moving Niko already assists in those efforts. Having strong veterans who help young players develop, learn how to win and grow and strive in this league, are very valuable. I'll miss Niko because I do think he's finally emerged as a good player but I'm glad we got a real asset for him. Albeit, odds are the player we get with the pick will never amount to being near as good as Niko...the bright side is, our existing pick should get better.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 03:58 PM)
I don't agree with that logic. Moving Niko already assists in those efforts. Having strong veterans who help young players develop, learn how to win and grow and strive in this league, are very valuable. I'll miss Niko because I do think he's finally emerged as a good player but I'm glad we got a real asset for him. Albeit, odds are the player we get with the pick will never amount to being near as good as Niko...the bright side is, our existing pick should get better.

One other note - if you want to be able to have a shot at "2 max deals" this offseason, you pretty much have to move Lopez.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 01:35 PM)
One other note - if you want to be able to have a shot at "2 max deals" this offseason, you pretty much have to move Lopez.

The Bulls just added Asik...I really don't think their plan is to go big in free agency this off-season.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 05:06 PM)
Bulls received a trade exception of 12.5 million. I don't know what that is. Anyone care to explain?

As I understand it, they gave up more salary than they received in the trade, so in subsequent trades they can use the 12.5 mil to balance that next trade out.

Or something.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 05:06 PM)
Bulls received a trade exception of 12.5 million. I don't know what that is. Anyone care to explain?

I'm not entirely sure of the inner workings, but basically a trade exception is a result of an unbalanced trade and is excluded from your luxury tax (still counts towards the cap). However, that money cannot be used to sign FA's, it can only be used to add people via trades (Workaround: Facilitate a sign and trade).

In the case of the Bulls, that $12.5 million can put them above the cap floor without adding another player.

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 05:13 PM)
The Bulls just added Asik...I really don't think their plan is to go big in free agency this off-season.

Good point, but they should still be able to do 1 max deal unless they take on another salary for next year.

QUOTE (Quin @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 06:12 PM)
Knicks willing to include their first to shed Noah.

Asik + Nelson for Noah? Or RoLo? Or just the TPE straight up?

You can’t tell but I am making my “ew that’s gross” face at the thought of paying Noah money right now

QUOTE (Quin @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 04:12 PM)
Knicks willing to include their first to shed Noah.

Asik + Nelson for Noah? Or RoLo? Or just the TPE straight up?

The problem with Noah (or Deng) for that matter is that there contracts aren't just next year but the year after and we need to have cap space for 2019. While I don't think our strategy is to spend big in 2018...I do think our strategy is to spend big in 2019 and with that we can't take on someone like Noah (even if we get a pick).

QUOTE (Quin @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 12:57 PM)
Bulls should be able to target a wing and a big now.

If they get Ayton/Bagley/Bamba/Jackson, I'd love Vanderbilt or Knox if he falls.

If they get Porter/Doncic/Trae, give me Yurtseven or McCoy, unless a good BPA falls.

Is Yurtseven a dynamic enough athlete to be a starter in the NBA...the couple times I watched him, he hasn't been that impressive.

The interesting thing with Golden State is they have all these low-paid players like Bell and now Damian Jones with a ton of athletic ability that they can just throw out on the floor with 2-3 superstars and they'll absolutely thrive.

They have to shed Livingston, Iguodala and part with Klay Thompson, but that would be close to fitting LBJ in, right?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 05:11 PM)
My understanding of the situation is that is correct

Technically we can play in 2018 and would be in a very advantageous space (we are one of 4 teams to have cap space and us and the Hawks are the two teams not expected to use it...at least not currently). That means we could really go aggressive, but with Cousins injury the list of attractive free agents (outside of George & James..presuming they opt out) is just not that large. The fact that there won't be a lot of money bidding does have an advantage in the sense that it means we shouldn't have parties driving up the price on Lavine (who is going to be an interesting case since he's coming back from injury, hasn't necessarily excelled, etc). Everything so premature since he's played so few games, but if this were two years ago he'd be staring at a guaranteed max type contract and now we are probably looking at something in the 15M range (maybe as high as 20M per but I think it falls closer to 15 give or take).

2019 is going to be the year...young core has time to grow, we get another probable lottery pick next year to go with the two picks in this upcoming draft and then we make a major run at what is on paper a very strong FA group. There will be a few more teams flush with cap space so competition will be greater...most notably the Clippers who in shedding Griffin has gone all in on 2019 free agency. Will be interesting to see what happens but to me the wild card is Anthony Davis and what happens with him this off-season.

I think there is a shot he is out there and if he is, I think we make a very aggressive play to get him and than from there would pivot into making a heavy push at a Lebron or Paul George to join the young core. Outside of that type of thing happening, I think we'll likely be relatively quiet.

Gotta start rooting for teams like DEN, PHI, DET, LAC (although that's unlikely) etc. now. Want that NO pick in the 10-15 range. I won't get greedy since 6-10 is highly unlikely unless someone decides to pull a Tanya Harding on AD's legs..

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 11:43 PM)
Gotta start rooting for teams like DEN, PHI, DET, LAC (although that's unlikely) etc. now. Want that NO pick in the 10-15 range. I won't get greedy since 6-10 is highly unlikely unless someone decides to pull a Tanya Harding on AD's legs..

Yeah problem is so few teams in the west are unlikely to push them. Best you can hope is 8th seed from them honestly.

Per Woj:

Source: Full protections on New Orleans' 2018 first-round pick to Chicago in Mirotic deal: 2018: top 5; 2019: top 8; 2020: top 10; 2021: top 9. If somehow it still isn't conveyed to Bulls in 2021, it becomes a second-round pick in each of 2022 and 2023.