2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 11:23 AM)
Does that make the Cavs better or worse on the court this season? (Honestly don't know)

They get younger and more athletic. But neither of those guys are going to be huge stars or anything.

Thomas has been terrible in the 15 games he's played. And it seems like he and Lebron don't get along. So I think this was to appease Lebron and also rid the Cavs of having to decide whether to pay Isiah a big contract next year.

Also, Windhorst said this trade now prevents them from trading the Nets pick until after the draft.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account

@wojespn

Three impactful details on trade for Lakers: They'll have space for two max contract slots in 2018 or 2019, replenish first-round pick in 2018 Draft and gets Lakers some shooting for rest of season with Thomas and Frye.

Lebron's a Laker next year lol Thanks DG

@wojespn

Following Following @wojespn

More

Utah will also send Joe Johnson to Sacramento, and Cleveland will send Jae Crowder and Derek Rose to Utah, league sources tell ESPN. Sacramento sends George Hill to the Cavs.

Wow, Cavs doing some work.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 12:07 PM)
Does Rose hang'em up now? The Cavs are doing what they had to do. You have to give them credit. It seems a lot of teams wanted Hood. They get Love back, who knows. Lebron still is the best player in the world IMO.

They got a ton back. They're favorites to win the east again, IMO.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 12:14 PM)
Now that's hilarious.

I think it would be more hilarious if they traded him to Utah. He lives in Miami. Except for a shot at losing in the Finals, they did him a solid.

The Cavaliers’ coaching staff was planning a reduced role for Wade going forward and he had been campaigning for a return to Miami behind the scenes, according to Brian Windhorst of ESPN

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 11:29 AM)

@wojespn

Three impactful details on trade for Lakers: They'll have space for two max contract slots in 2018 or 2019, replenish first-round pick in 2018 Draft and gets Lakers some shooting for rest of season with Thomas and Frye.

Lebron's a Laker next year lol Thanks DG

Kiss the Bulls good bye.

I don't get, at all, the Utah Jazz portion of these trades. I thought maybe joe Johnson's contract was still bad. Nope, it's expiring. A team like the Jazz will get the most out of Crowder for sure...but what? What on earth?

I think this does show that rumor that the pelis would have dumped that first with asik for anyone was b.s. 1sts are not flying around at all, let alone ones that could be earlier than the 20s.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 10:49 AM)
I don't get, at all, the Utah Jazz portion of these trades. I thought maybe joe Johnson's contract was still bad. Nope, it's expiring. A team like the Jazz will get the most out of Crowder for sure...but what? What on earth?

I think this does show that rumor that the pelis would have dumped that first with asik for anyone was b.s. 1sts are not flying around at all, let alone ones that could be earlier than the 20s.

My belief is that MLB has an over infatuation with prospects and that the moneyball undervalue concept actually applies to prospects and that if you were going to follow money ball today, prospects are the new "walk/obp" concept. In basketball, 1st round picks have never been more overvalued than today (in this era of the tank). Delusions everywhere about the true value of a pick. Teams who are smart can buy so much talent without giving up that much in the process.

If the Sox were ready, in this current era of baseball, they are literally designed for the Ken Williams concept of leveraging prospets for proven talent and than using free agency to go bargain hunting on shorter term deals. Ken Williams would kill if this roster was ready (and I see the Sox taking this approach once the "roster" is ready for it). It's going to be fun.