2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

I like Lavine alot and he's exciting to watch, but he should not be getting that many shots off and Markkanen only 7. Bulls need to incorporate Lauri more in this offense not just him. He should arguably be the #1 option, at worst #2. I'll reserve complete judgement until I see Dunn out there with both of them, but when I see bench players getting more shots off... not good.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 9, 2018 -> 09:38 PM)
Terrible win. At least Lavine won't play tomorrow since it's a back to back (so likely loss), but now they need the other tank teams to win.

Lavine was incredible down the stretch. Hopefully it is a sign of the type of player he will be. He was flat out dominating. Electric athleticism mixed with a great shot.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 11:38 AM)
Lavine was incredible down the stretch. Hopefully it is a sign of the type of player he will be. He was flat out dominating. Electric athleticism mixed with a great shot.

If he can learn to play a lick of defense, which it sounds like he's trying to with Dunn pushing him, he'll be a consistent All-Star.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 01:54 PM)
Grant is my least favorite type of point guard, where his assist stats look good, but you watch him and realize he just holds and dribbles around until he can get someone a midrange jumper fairly open.

He is awful. He never passes at opportune times and is just a giant hog. He is perfect for the tank. Even when he has a good game (by the stat line), I don't see it with my eyes. Pretty much never have I ever said...wow he played a good game. The one thing I'll say is that when you give him a somewhat open jumper, he's pretty good but otherwise he's just a giant ball hog who can't create and doesn't get the ball out of his hands quick enough (nor can he make plays in the paint...like at all).

Note: All of this is Grant as a starter...he's fine as a bench guy and he always plays hard.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 08:42 AM)
So if the Bulls fall back a bit and say they get the 9 and 14 as an example. Any teams in front of us that would trade their pick for both of those?

Am I stewpid?

Unfortunately I think most front offices are fairly smart about valuing these guys now (especially since mid-level guys seem to get max deals), and the days of trading decent vets for a pick are gone.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 11:19 AM)
Unfortunately I think most front offices are fairly smart about valuing these guys now (especially since mid-level guys seem to get max deals), and the days of trading decent vets for a pick are gone.

I think he was asking more about getting pick like 5 in exchange for picks 9 and 14.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 09:41 AM)
I think he was asking more about getting pick like 5 in exchange for picks 9 and 14.

Unless you add in a future 1st or one of the Bulls young players I dont think other teams are even going to consider it. Depending on how you view Young, 5/6 is the real drop off point.

Lauri had a really strong game in the post. His 3 ball isn't falling right now and it was nice to see them get the ball to them down low. Didn't see the 4th so can't comment on that, but for 1st 3 quarter Lauri played really well. Lavine is explosive and is getting better every night.

I truly believe the NBA should find a way to rig the lottery to reward the Bulls. Absolute sick what a lot of teams do. Yes, you can tank and that is fine and good, but going out of your way to sit "healthy" players is just crappy for the sport. I'm a fan of the NBA and what teams are doing is just bad for the league.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 10:11 AM)
Lauri had a really strong game in the post. His 3 ball isn't falling right now and it was nice to see them get the ball to them down low. Didn't see the 4th so can't comment on that, but for 1st 3 quarter Lauri played really well. Lavine is explosive and is getting better every night.

I truly believe the NBA should find a way to rig the lottery to reward the Bulls. Absolute sick what a lot of teams do. Yes, you can tank and that is fine and good, but going out of your way to sit "healthy" players is just crappy for the sport. I'm a fan of the NBA and what teams are doing is just bad for the league.

What those teams are doing is setting themselves up in best way possible to win that next win title whenever it is though. They have no obligation to the league. They have an obligation to their fans. Taking a step back to take two steps forward per se.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 11:11 AM)

Hell, in a league with the Warriors I think you can make a good case that the #5 seeds in the playoffs are better off tanking right now. That's the joy of the superteam.

No I'm with Jason. In baseball they play a bunch of young players, get rid of their vets. But they are playing.

This sitting half your team garbage is crap. It's the way NBA teams tank that is so much more obnoxious.

No one is saying they shouldn't try and be bad, but these teams don't even care about the development of any of the pieces and would just not play the rest of the sesaon. It should be punished.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 08:48 AM)
No I'm with Jason. In baseball they play a bunch of young players, get rid of their vets. But they are playing.

This sitting half your team garbage is crap. It's the way NBA teams tank that is so much more obnoxious.

No one is saying they shouldn't try and be bad, but these teams don't even care about the development of any of the pieces and would just not play the rest of the sesaon. It should be punished.

Yes.

$300 million doesn't get you what it used to. Here is the Cavs payroll next year if they keep their current roster together. I think it would be an interesting discussion whether the Cavs owner owed it to the fans to take this big of a hit. I'd probably go with if they won a title, yes. If, not, even if it means Lebron flees, no. :

2018-19 Cavaliers Payroll + Tax Projection

PLAYER SALARY

LeBron James $35,607,968

Kevin Love $24,119,025

George Hill $19,000,000

Tristan Thompson $17,469,565

JR Smith $14,720,000

Jordan Clarkson $12,500,000

Rodney Hood $12,000,000*

Kyle Korver $7,560,000

Cedi Osman $2,775,000

Larry Nance Jr. $2,272,391

Ante Zizic $1,952,760

First-round pick - BKN $4,403,280

Free agent: minimum $1,499,698

Salaries $158.9 million

Luxury tax $149.2 million

Total $308.1 million

Edited by Dick Allen

I'm probably delusional from working so many hours this week (and still being at work right now after being here till 2 AM the night before) but the Bulls are going to be f***ing good. Lauri, Dunn, Lavine....plus draft picks...hell YEAH!!! Add some free agents in a year and BOOOO YAAAAA!!!! Unfortunately they are way too good so we are going to need the ping pong balls to fall in our favor and THEY WILL!!!!

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Feb 17, 2018 -> 07:21 AM)
Bulls need to sit all three for the rest of the year.

I get the whole concept, and the way it is run now it makes sense, but something needs to be done with the draft in all sports to get teams away from losing as much as possible. Except in the NBA, most teams that make the playoffs have a legit shot at winning it all that year, and the teams do get an additional shot of revenue if they make the post season. Maybe make it a lottery for teams that don't make the playoffs, all with the exact same chance at #1 or #20, and line up the playoff teams after them in reverse record order. More and more teams have been tanking lately and I think that number is only going to grow. It makes for a lot of uninteresting games and seasons. Some will still tank, but maybe not as much.

Edited by Dick Allen