2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Feb 17, 2018 -> 07:21 AM)
Bulls need to sit all three for the rest of the year.

You don't sit the main 3 players you are trying to develop and build around. They need to restrict Lopez and Holiday's minutes. Grant as well (whomever they feel doesn't have a future at all with this team, you can easily make the case all 3 don't) and start playing Vonleh, Blakeney, Felicio, Zipser and of course the main tank commander, Cam Payne. Vonleh and Blakeney might be the only two there who might actually stick around in the future as bench pieces, but all of them need to play more.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 19, 2018 -> 10:00 AM)
I like Silvers new plan to seed th playoffs 1 to 16.top 8in each conference make it but then conference doesn’t matter. Obviously the West is far better now, but 5 or 10 years from now it is probably a different story. I hope this gets implemented soon.

I would be fine with just taking the top 16 teams. Conferences be damned

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 19, 2018 -> 11:06 AM)
I would be fine with just taking the top 16 teams. Conferences be damned

Bill Simmons has talked about this multiple times as an idea. Also, with the idea of the bottom 14 teams playing a round robin tourney to get the 15/16 seeds. Which would be awesome.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Feb 19, 2018 -> 01:44 PM)
Bill Simmons has talked about this multiple times as an idea. Also, with the idea of the bottom 14 teams playing a round robin tourney to get the 15/16 seeds. Which would be awesome.

That’s just an awful idea by him. He’s been pushing it for years. Season needs to end before Labor Day.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 04:31 PM)
I understand why they are doing it, but I do hope all sports do something eventually to prevent this type of thing. Being horrible on purpose should not be rewarded.

I think it is probably more about ensuring that Lavine, Dunn, and Lauri get more shots (vs. Lopez and Holliday who both tend to put up some shots). But I fully agree with you on all of your points.

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 06:56 PM)
I don’t disagree, but I don’t know how to fix it.

And in 2018, in almost every sport, you need to be bad to get good.

I do not agree with this. Especially in baseball. I see no reason you need to get bad. A few higher draft picks in baseball is hardly going to be the differentiator to the top. Basketball is the most extreme in terms of value of draft picks because one player can literally change your entire franchise (whether via draft (i.e., Cleveland getting a top pick when Lebron was a high schooler) or Cleveland (when they signed Lebron from Miami as a free agent). Or many other examples of such.

In football I also argue that the concept doesn't necessarily hold true. In football..it isn't about tanking it is about having an elite QB, if you can find that you are great. Yes, quickest way is typically throw a top pick, but it doesn't necessarily have to be top 5 pick.

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 06:12 PM)
Love that they are embracing the tank.

Me too. I was legitimately excited when I saw the tweets that Felicio and Nwaba would be starting, and Payne was getting minutes over Grant. They owe it to the fans to tank as much as possible. Do whatever it takes to try to get a top draft pick, but I know it'll still be tough with so many other teams doing the same thing.

I'll gladly take ~25 more games of s*** basketball for the potential to draft a star, and put this team in a position to contend in a few years.

Edited by dasox24

In baseball, how many teams other than the Braves, Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers and Cards have been able to continue sustained success for more than 5-6 years before recycling/rebuilding?

Twins from 2002-2010 are about the only small or mid market example that comes to mind...or the Tigers due to Ilitch overspending.

The Patriots’ run is nearly 20 years due to Brady’s anomalous health.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 06:31 PM)
I understand why they are doing it, but I do hope all sports do something eventually to prevent this type of thing. Being horrible on purpose should not be rewarded.

I agree, and it sucks for the players too. Robin Lopez doesn't get to play basketball forever. He is clearly the best center on the team, plays his ass off every night, and this is the pinnacle of everything he's worked for (playing in NBA). But the team, which has no body-aging constraints, basically just wants to sim the rest of the season, so he sits.

It just sucks.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 21, 2018 -> 10:52 AM)
I agree, and it sucks for the players too. Robin Lopez doesn't get to play basketball forever. He is clearly the best center on the team, plays his ass off every night, and this is the pinnacle of everything he's worked for (playing in NBA). But the team, which has no body-aging constraints, basically just wants to sim the rest of the season, so he sits.

It just sucks.

It's just hard to think of a solution. The only one I can think of is put all non playoff teams in a draft lottery with equal chances and whatever order the ping pong balls come , that is where you select. No top 3 protection or anything like that. That way, it doesn't matter if you win 15 games or miss the playoffs by 1. There still is incentive to make the playoffs. Extra revenue and you still could get a mediocre mid first round pick. I think bad teams will be better just because. It may not get them titles, but the NBA is probably the league with the fewest franchises being able to show off a trophy than any. Even with the top pick, there is luck involved. You could be picking when Lebron is available or get Pervis Ellison.

Edited by Dick Allen

You know people talk about relegation and how that works for EPL. We are so tied to this "worst team should get best pick" system, and I think it works for NFL/MLB (I do! Not as bad as NBA)/NHL, but basketball has zero depth element to its drafts. You don't get a great draft by finding 3-4 top talents like football, you get a great draft when you either get a top 5 pick or back into a talent.

So basically what I'm saying is, maybe we reward a team for being the best of the rest. Have an actual sudden death tournament for non-playoff teams where the winner gets top pick, the runner up gets 2nd, and the worst team is guaranteed at least 3rd.

It would prevent just running a bare bones team, you could even seed where the best of the worst get a more favorable seeding, so incentive to not suck.

And while giving the team that wins the more valuable pick, you could allocate more cap space for up to 3 years for the worst 5 teams to try and get them to spend out of it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 21, 2018 -> 11:31 AM)
You know people talk about relegation and how that works for EPL. We are so tied to this "worst team should get best pick" system, and I think it works for NFL/MLB (I do! Not as bad as NBA)/NHL, but basketball has zero depth element to its drafts. You don't get a great draft by finding 3-4 top talents like football, you get a great draft when you either get a top 5 pick or back into a talent.

So basically what I'm saying is, maybe we reward a team for being the best of the rest. Have an actual sudden death tournament for non-playoff teams where the winner gets top pick, the runner up gets 2nd, and the worst team is guaranteed at least 3rd.

It would prevent just running a bare bones team, you could even seed where the best of the worst get a more favorable seeding, so incentive to not suck.

And while giving the team that wins the more valuable pick, you could allocate more cap space for up to 3 years for the worst 5 teams to try and get them to spend out of it.

Another thing especially in other sports beside the NBA, is draft like a fantasy draft. You have the last pick in round 1, you get the first pick in round 2.

QUOTE (Quin @ Feb 21, 2018 -> 10:45 AM)
Noah saga growing in NY.

Felicio + Zipser for a Top 8 protected pick this year and Noah.

That or their 2019 pick

I'm not taking Noah for a top 8 protected pick. Not worth it. If the pick is unprotected, I'll take it.