2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 21, 2018 -> 01:21 PM)
I'm not taking Noah for a top 8 protected pick. Not worth it. If the pick is unprotected, I'll take it.

The Knicks make more money than the Bulls, and they aren't winning anything the next 2 seasons. I really doubt they do anything but buy him out or release him or trade him for someone else's just as expensive garbage. Giving up a pick to get rid of him makes no sense.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2018 -> 01:47 PM)
That was a contract that was pretty universally horrible the day it was signed.

Yeah I should even say noah's contract isn't worth it.

Top 5 pick? obviously we are talking.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 21, 2018 -> 11:32 AM)
The Knicks make more money than the Bulls, and they aren't winning anything the next 2 seasons. I really doubt they do anything but buy him out or release him or trade him for someone else's just as expensive garbage. Giving up a pick to get rid of him makes no sense.

I agree with you. But I'm not taking on his contract which ties up our cap for 2 years without getting a very good pick in return (no reason to do it for anything other than that if I'm the Bulls).

Anybody check this out? It's silly as hell but I was entertained.

https://grandstandcentral.com/the-next-80-n...im-ad1a78d7a129

2K18 simulation breaking down/predicting the next 80 nba champions. According to this, the Bulls are about to go on a 90's-like run starting in 2023. NBA champs in '23, '24, '26, '27, '28. Again, this is silly and means absolutely nothing. I thought it was at least fun to scroll through.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 02:13 PM)
Anybody check this out? It's silly as hell but I was entertained.

https://grandstandcentral.com/the-next-80-n...im-ad1a78d7a129

2K18 simulation breaking down/predicting the next 80 nba champions. According to this, the Bulls are about to go on a 90's-like run starting in 2023. NBA champs in '23, '24, '26, '27, '28. Again, this is silly and means absolutely nothing. I thought it was at least fun to scroll through.

Jordan Bell signs with Bulls for cash considerations

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 03:45 PM)
No legs, but saw an interesting post on Twitter.

If the bulls get a Top 5 pick, and let's say the NO pick is like 14, do you trade both for Kwahi? Would the Spurs do it? The Bulls?

I would not build a trade around a guy from San Antonio unless Pop was a part of the deal.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 09:21 PM)
It looks like Jimmy Butler just tore his ACL.

Time to put to bed the rumor that Thibodeau can lead a team to a championship. This happens when you overuse your starters. More court time means more fatigue and more exposure to potential injury.

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 04:45 PM)
No legs, but saw an interesting post on Twitter.

If the bulls get a Top 5 pick, and let’s say the NO pick is like 14, do you trade both for Kwahi? Would the Spurs do it? The Bulls?

No for Bulls - you're guaranteed one of Ayton, Bamba, Bagley, Doncic, Jackson, or Porter in that case. On the cheap.

Kawhi facing a max contract the following year lowers his value in a deal. I'd do Portis, Grant, a massive TPE, Pels pick and 2019 pick. The Spurs say no unless it gets absolutely toxic.

I'd say that's equivalent of what the Bulls got for Jimmy and their own first at the time of that trade. Dunn sucked last year, LaVine was no defense scorer coming up on an extension and trading up in the first.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 10:21 PM)
It looks like Jimmy Butler just tore his ACL.

Meniscus, but Thibsball claims another.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 07:10 PM)
The bottom 8 teams in the NBA have combined to lose their last 44 games. It will end tonight.

I know we played Brooklyn last night, but at some point the rest of these tanking teams have to play one another. At the Bulls are stepping up their tank game, although I’m a little worried it’s too too late.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 27, 2018 -> 06:41 AM)
I know we played Brooklyn last night, but at some point the rest of these tanking teams have to play one another. At the Bulls are stepping up their tank game, although I’m a little worried it’s too too late.

There are about 20 games left in the season. 5 teams at 18 wins, Mavs are at 19, Bulls and Nets are at 20. Bulls play Mavs this weekend.

At this rate I think the worst team record will at 20 wins, which will be shared by a couple of teams. And 2-3 teams will be tied for 21 wins.

Bulls has 22 games left, but they probably have most games against tanking teams (bottom 8) out of everybody with 7 games. They also have 1 against Knicks, who might as well be a tanking team after losing Porzingis. I think they just aren't not bad enough and finishes with 24-25 wins.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 27, 2018 -> 09:09 AM)
Bulls has 22 games left, but they probably have most games against tanking teams (bottom 8) out of everybody with 7 games. They also have 1 against Knicks, who might as well be a tanking team after losing Porzingis. I think they just aren't not bad enough and finishes with 24-25 wins.

You never know the power of Cam Payne when it comes to losing, but I think your right. I really think a couple of these teams might lose the rest of their games.

I would think if it was too crazy, the Commissioner could step in and do something. Maybe even take the pick away or move it down the draft. But with so many teams doing the same thing, that won't happen if it was possible, which I have no idea.

I do think this year's massive tank is going to spur the league into doing something about it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 27, 2018 -> 12:39 PM)
You never know the power of Cam Payne when it comes to losing, but I think your right. I really think a couple of these teams might lose the rest of their games.

I would think if it was too crazy, the Commissioner could step in and do something. Maybe even take the pick away or move it down the draft. But with so many teams doing the same thing, that won't happen if it was possible, which I have no idea.

I do think this year's massive tank is going to spur the league into doing something about it.

I think the new lottery system will help to an extent. But it seems like teams have figured out the NBA hell isn't worth staying in and they opt to tear down the team, collect assets and hope to build through draft or free agency.

I don't know if there is a system everyone is happy with. Maybe the league should look into increasing the odds of teams who are in the bottom of the lottery list, that way teams can stay competitive in the playoff race and still have a decent chance of getting a good draft pick.

I wonder if Silver and the top NBA brass realize that most of the fanbases of the teams tanking are actually happy with what their franchises are doing. I love that the Bulls are finally tanking, and except for that 10-15 games stretch when Dunn came back, they've tanked really well. Sacramento and Orlando may be outliers since they've been tanking forever, but for the Bulls, Lakers, Nets, Mavs, etc. this is the only way they can be decent again.

Frankly I'm not sure why it's such a big deal. I suppose if half the league were tanking there would be a competitive imbalance, but since when does the NBA care about that? And it's not half the league, it's a 1/3rd of the league at most.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Feb 27, 2018 -> 02:50 PM)
I wonder if Silver and the top NBA brass realize that most of the fanbases of the teams tanking are actually happy with what their franchises are doing. I love that the Bulls are finally tanking, and except for that 10-15 games stretch when Dunn came back, they've tanked really well. Sacramento and Orlando may be outliers since they've been tanking forever, but for the Bulls, Lakers, Nets, Mavs, etc. this is the only way they can be decent again.

Frankly I'm not sure why it's such a big deal. I suppose if half the league were tanking there would be a competitive imbalance, but since when does the NBA care about that? And it's not half the league, it's a 1/3rd of the league at most.

It's pretty close to the only way. That's the problem, and more teams are doing it. People pay a lot of money to watch the NBA . Tanking not only ruins the games for the fans of the teams trying to lose, it makes the games these teams are involved in vs. teams actually trying way less interesting and entertaining.

They actually went to the lottery because teams weren't trying. Now it is getting worse. I wouldn't mind making all non playoff teams given equal odds on the draft. Make it all ping pong balls, no guarantees one way or the other. You can tank or you can win 40 games, you might pick 1st, you might pick in the teens.

I am sick of rewarding losing.

Edited by Dick Allen