2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

Man, I want to be mad at GarPax

but a rotation of this:

PG - Payne/Arci

SG - Nwaba/Grant

SF - Holiday/Kilpatrick

PF - Lauri/Portis

C - Felicion/Vonley

Should be getting obliterated in any game.

The Bulls clearly signaled they were tanking with the Butler trade, but it seems that as injuries and poor play piled on, teams just decided half way through to tank hard or not even try. A normal year has what, the Bulls and Hawks tanking, Kings and Suns trying to develop along, and the Nets, Knicks, Magic, and Mavericks trying to make the playoffs.

Man the league needs to fix this.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 09:42 AM)
So, how many of you are willing to give Lavine the max?

Not I.

I wish we could use him to trade up honestly. Not a fan of his game at all.

I think he could have a long career floating around as a Jamal Crawford type, but it's going to take him years to realize he's not gonna be the guy.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 07:42 AM)
So, how many of you are willing to give Lavine the max?

I don't even know what to think of Lavine. Hard to count much anything in terms of his overall performance this year. Coming off of injury, etc...hard to evaluate. I certainly wouldn't give him a max deal, but I am intrigued by his talent.

I was less than impressed with Lavine. And while letting him walk makes the Butler trade look terrible, I just can’t see giving him a max contract (which he will obviously be seeking). His effort, shot selection, and absolute disinterest in playing with Dunn and Lauri really left a sour taste in my mouth

I'm definitely out on tanking next year btw. This crap is all out of sorts. THere is no way the marginal value of moving from effectively 10 to 6 is worth literally sabotaging the game of basketball.

Would rather move to phase two of trying to accumulate good assets and wait for trade opportunities.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 11:03 AM)
I was less than impressed with Lavine. And while letting him walk makes the Butler trade look terrible, I just can’t see giving him a max contract (which he will obviously be seeking). His effort, shot selection, and absolute disinterest in playing with Dunn and Lauri really left a sour taste in my mouth

They can't let him walk, but the good news is its very unlikely another team would give him a max contract, so the Bulls shouldn't have to either.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 12:00 PM)
They can't let him walk, but the good news is its very unlikely another team would give him a max contract, so the Bulls shouldn't have to either.

There is always a Hornets/Kings/Magic GM out there willing to make a splash

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 11:27 AM)
I'm definitely out on tanking next year btw. This crap is all out of sorts. THere is no way the marginal value of moving from effectively 10 to 6 is worth literally sabotaging the game of basketball.

Would rather move to phase two of trying to accumulate good assets and wait for trade opportunities.

But how do you accumulate those assets picking in the middle of the draft every year? The NBA in it's current format sucks if you're not a fan of the 3-4 teams that realistically have a shot at the title, not point in even playing for the other 27 teams.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 05:59 PM)
But how do you accumulate those assets picking in the middle of the draft every year? The NBA in it's current format sucks if you're not a fan of the 3-4 teams that realistically have a shot at the title, not point in even playing for the other 27 teams.

You don't trade superstars for superstars.

You'd just hope to draft well with cheap and interesting guys in middle of the first round.

When tanking meant just playing a team of worse players I don't mind it. When it means sitting your best young players because you need to lose to pick 8th, I'm out. More damage is done with that. Firm believer that the reason some of these teams like the spurs are able to develop so well is because there is winning on the line and they find the roles required to win and build up responsibilities than.

This is like if 10 teams last year tried to be the padres and play 5-6 rule 5 draft picks, refused to bring up their talented prospects and constantly put good starters on the 10 day dl for fake reasons.

We may not win a championship, but lets be real, putting together those superteams is straight up luck regardless. Cavs got saved by a deus ex machina. GS hit jackpot on middle round weird picks and a lateblooming star who took a cheap contract.

Rockets build this all with paper clip trading.

Celts got to take advantage of the single dumbest trade in the history of mankind, and even then required a disgruntled star to push his way out to truly get to this level which they won't win anything.

Time to zig when everyone else is zagging.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 08:38 AM)
Bulls basically locked up #7 last night.

Need some luck for #6

They have to lose to Detroit though. If they beat Detroit and NY loses to Cleveland while Brooklyn loses to Boston, they are all tied at 28-54. If Bulls lose to Detroit and Sacramento beats Houston with all their guys resting then they tie for 6th.

I doubt Markannen will play. Payne will play like 40 minutes. It moved weeks ago from just giving a bad roster to hoiberg to also putting the worst possible team on floor in fourth. now they do it for like the whole game. They'll lose.

Houston can rest every starter and even their 6th-8th man on their bench and they will still probably beat the Kings.

I'm hoping Spurs beat the Pelicans (and Denver to win) and miss the playoffs. Would love to get that 14th pick.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 09:40 AM)
Houston can rest every starter and even their 6th-8th man on their bench and they will still probably beat the Kings.

I'm hoping Spurs beat the Pelicans (and Denver to win) and miss the playoffs. Would love to get that 14th pick.

Pelicans clinched a playoff berth. Best case scenario is that they lose to the Spurs, Nuggets beat T'Wolves, Thunder beat the Grizzlies. I'm pretty sure that drops the Pelicans to the 8 seed in the West, and the pick would end up at around 18?

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 09:47 AM)
Pelicans clinched a playoff berth. Best case scenario is that they lose to the Spurs, Nuggets beat T'Wolves, Thunder beat the Grizzlies. I'm pretty sure that drops the Pelicans to the 8 seed in the West, and the pick would end up at around 18?

Ah you are correct. Forgot about the tie breaker. Denver plays Wolves tomorrow. That'll determine alot there too.