2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

Bomba and Carter both had impressive wingspans.

Carter .25 inches shorter than Dwight Howard, but with same wingspan and better outside touch. As long as Trae Young and Jaren Jackson goes in the top 6, Bulls would be guaranteed a choice of Bomba, Carter or MPJ. In fact Bulls are guaranteed a shot at Bomba, Bagley, Jackson, Carter or MPJ no matter what happens.

So all things considered 7 wasnt the best, but it was way better then dropping 1 more spot to 8.

The NBA is a noncompetitive sports league. I have no idea how it draws viewers. One player out of 12 makes such a difference. Nothing matters other than the talent on the floor. Coaching is overrated. They are just adult babysitters. It is the most predictable sport in the world. You don't even really have to play the games, which defeats the purpose of sports. Chalk(best team on paper) wins 99% of the time. It didn't used to be this way, but it is now. Boring. zzzzzzzzz. Every year I try to get back into the NBA, which used to be my favorite sports league. Every year I continue to be disappointed. No more. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Based on recent TV ratings, you are very much in the minority. 

I know this, but I don't understand it. How do people get caught up in this sport anymore? Somebody explain to me why people still watch. It confuses the hell out of me. I don't understand how the best team on paper wins 80-90% of the time and people don't think it is a snooze fest. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It was different because the games were competitive and it wasn't a foregone conclusion each year they'd win. 

Ha, it absolutely was a foregone conclusion as much as the Warriors are right now.  And the Bulls did their fair share of ass whooping

I'm with Jack, but I also understand how the NBA has made the simple-minded folk of the world into player-worshipping ratings...

The NBA is a jokeeee.

But a good game tonight between HOU and GSW

Simple minded? GMAFB

Rating are high because the league is full of insane athletes and players fans like and hate.  The league hasn't had an "unpredictable" year in forever. Maybe when the Knicks made that run to the finals around 2000. I like watching great players and teams and it's fun to watch Boston on this run after injuries.

Maybe you're just to close minded to understand what people see.

Edited by Brian
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I'm with Jack, but I also understand how the NBA has made the simple-minded folk of the world into player-worshipping ratings...

The NBA is a jokeeee.

But a good game tonight between HOU and GSW

it’s ironic that you call nba fans simple minded for watching a product that you deem terrible, yet you watch WWE every week only to talk about how much you hate it

• Haha 1

I watched the final 2 minutes of the game as the final 2 minutes of highly competitive close NBA games are usually fun, but that happens rarely.

NBA is boring af and is for normies and basic people. Baseball is the true sport to watch. 

Call me crazy, but personally I think the NBA has become a much better product as the game has moved away from the ISO game and into the ball movement needed to create the three point shot.  I love to see the ball move, and the defense scramble and adjust.  It is SO much better than 8 guys standing on one side of the floor, while there is a one on one set up on the opposite side.

• Like 1

Without people noticing, the NBA has become a much more pure form of basketball than college, especially since they actually play defense. The only thing a bit boring about basketball at the moment, and it's similar to the K/Power issue in baseball, is the realization that 3s are the best thing to shoot means if you want to know who will win it's just who made the most of their 3s that night. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Without people noticing, the NBA has become a much more pure form of basketball than college, especially since they actually play defense. The only thing a bit boring about basketball at the moment, and it's similar to the K/Power issue in baseball, is the realization that 3s are the best thing to shoot means if you want to know who will win it's just who made the most of their 3s that night. 🤷‍♂️

Dont agree with the more pure form of basketball than college. What makes college basketball so great is that you actually see different types of offenses/defenses being run.

NBA is dominated by on ball screens, pick & roll and iso. Sure you will see some teams run off the ball screens, but you dont see one time running swing offense while the other team runs motion. NBA is dominated by stars, most teams design their offense around the star dominating the ball or shots in some way.

College is more of a team sport, which I really think is the more pure form. Im also confused by the "actually play defense" as if you look at Kenpom adjusted defense many of the top teams are defensive powerhouses https://kenpom.com/

In comparison, NBA teams today arent really that good historically defensively : https://nbamath.com/adjusted-team-ratings/ Only the Spurs in 2016 come in the top 15. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Dont agree with the more pure form of basketball than college. What makes college basketball so great is that you actually see different types of offenses/defenses being run.

NBA is dominated by on ball screens, pick & roll and iso. Sure you will see some teams run off the ball screens, but you dont see one time running swing offense while the other team runs motion. NBA is dominated by stars, most teams design their offense around the star dominating the ball or shots in some way.

College is more of a team sport, which I really think is the more pure form. Im also confused by the "actually play defense" as if you look at Kenpom adjusted defense many of the top teams are defensive powerhouses https://kenpom.com/

In comparison, NBA teams today arent really that good historically defensively : https://nbamath.com/adjusted-team-ratings/ Only the Spurs in 2016 come in the top 15. 

NBA teams aren't historically good defensively because offenses have gotten so much better and efficient.  That doesn't alter the fact that NBA defenses are much more sophisticated and team based than they ever were previously.  The best defenses are basically moving as one, on a string.  The college game doesn't come close to the level of teamwork you get at the NBA level defensively.

Zach Lowe is great at showcasing this, and would make the point far more eloquently than I will here, but NBA teams run a ton of action away from the ball.  They also run a pretty unique variety of pick and rolls.  The level and variety of offensive basketball at the NBA level - I'd argue - is actually more team based than on the college side of things.

Eh, college defenses throw a lot of zone or have an abundance of length which is way too successful against college offenses. Those obscure the fact that a lot of their players can't guard or handle motion offenses at all. It's not their fault, they are young, but on any given night you are watching a lot of garbage.

Compared to college football, I don't see the variation or ingenuity in offenses like there used to. The pnr offenses are big in the nba, but it's because you have these incredibly skilled big men that rarely are developed in college. It's fun to watch.

I see way more hero ball in college. Doesn't mean all college offenses are bad, but as a whole that product is often terrible.

4 minutes ago, illinilaw08 said:

NBA teams aren't historically good defensively because offenses have gotten so much better and efficient.  That doesn't alter the fact that NBA defenses are much more sophisticated and team based than they ever were previously.  The best defenses are basically moving as one, on a string.  The college game doesn't come close to the level of teamwork you get at the NBA level defensively.

Zach Lowe is great at showcasing this, and would make the point far more eloquently than I will here, but NBA teams run a ton of action away from the ball.  They also run a pretty unique variety of pick and rolls.  The level and variety of offensive basketball at the NBA level - I'd argue - is actually more team based than on the college side of things.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Eh, college defenses throw a lot of zone or have an abundance of length which is way too successful against college offenses. Those obscure the fact that a lot of their players can't guard or handle motion offenses at all. It's not their fault, they are young, but on any given night you are watching a lot of garbage.

Compared to college football, I don't see the variation or ingenuity in offenses like there used to. The pnr offenses are big in the nba, but it's because you have these incredibly skilled big men that rarely are developed in college. It's fun to watch.

I see way more hero ball in college. Doesn't mean all college offenses are bad, but as a whole that product is often terrible.

You could be right. I dont watch nearly as much NBA as I do NCAA. When I watched last night, I felt you could pretty much tell exactly what the offense was going to do about 5 seconds into the play. For the most part I saw switches on defense, but nothing really exotic that made me think "Oh wow this is different." Again small sample size, but the same could be said about college basketball depending on the team you watch. 

Its hard to really tell. Usage rates in NBA (if you only do players who played 1500+ minutes) are around 30%+ for the top players https://stats.nba.com/players/usage/?sort=USG_PCT&dir=-1&Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular Season&CF=MIN*GE*1500

In college that number drops a bit, https://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/stats?season=2017&category=ADVANCED&group=11&sort=3&time=0&pos=0&team=0&qual=1&sortOrder=0&opp=0

So I think that is where the idea of "team" comes in, Sure there is Ethan Happ at 34% on a Wisconsin team that struggled terribly on offense but guys like Ayton, Bagley were closer to 25% then 30%. Another factor is guys in the NBA probably play a higher percentage of the game than college, but not sure I can find that stat easily.