2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 10:09 PM)
I don't get what the big deal is if you're butler or butler's useless trainer. He signed a contract with no movement protection. Players get traded.

I'm annoyed by a bad Bulls trade, but I don't believe in that level of loyalty to a guy who signed a contract.

Random guess, Butler asked not to be traded to thibs.

I'm interested to see what happens with Jimmy in Minnesota. Wiggins, Townes, and Lavine were all in the top 10 in minutes last year. So was Butler, but Butler severely faded in the playoffs. Under Thibs, I can't help but think they could mess this up by overplaying Butler.

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 07:31 PM)
This I completely agree with.

Yeah...I really really despise the fact that we gave up a 1st. If we are going to rebuild...you need multiple assets and multiple picks. At the very least, we should have added a future 1st from Minny. I mean the #1 guy in the package is coming off an ACL injury (and it isnt like he has came back and shown he is fine). There is a shot he could go Drose and never be the same (not that he was Drose pre-injury..but man he was really rolling).

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 10:09 PM)
Here is how I see it. (Discounting the horrible trade)

Bulls need an entirely new team, almost all of their players are bench level or old.

Marrakannen at least has unique skills. If he develops he could be a starter on a high level team.

Monk reminds me of Ben gordon, but every year their will be guards who can score.

The real miss may have been smith. Would smith/ leaf be better than dunn/ marrakannen, I don't know.

But that's why losing the 1st hurts, it's a lost opportunity for a team that should be doing everything ro get more picks.

Meh, barring pipedream scenarios, I think the best case for Markkanen is a more mobile Ryan Anderson (though still a bad defender). That's an expensive player to get in FA, but not someone that really moves the needle.

My preference was Smith, I think he could be an upper-tier PG, but also has a low floor. Monk is at least a top-tier bench scorer, though I think he can be better. Admittedly, he's kind of superfluous with LaVine on the roster. He's more of a fit if they make a smarter trade.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 07:43 PM)
And I know this doesn't matter much, but when you look at the deal and the situation as a whole, you have to say "This was an absolute no-brainer type deal for the T'Wolves"

That's not usually a situation where you want to be on the other side of that.

Most of the deals the Celtics haven't made are on paper absolute no-brainers for them...yet they sit where they are. I think in general, teams with too many assets, should package those assets for the greater good. Bulls are going the opposite way because they don't have enough assets to combine with its best asset. This deal was a no brainer for the Bulls...but I think Boston offering up Jaylen Brown and the #3 for Butler would have been a no-brainer offer for Boston too (and they weren't even close to offering that).

Take away #16 and I think it is fair. Reality is, #16 isn't that much seperation in a trade...but when you are rebuilding...it is more important to keep the pick vs. the alternative (Minny didn't truly "need" the pick to be comfortable with the deal. I'd have thought the Bulls had the leverage to hold.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 10:17 PM)
Meh, barring pipedream scenarios, I think the best case for Markkanen is a more mobile Ryan Anderson (though still a bad defender). That's an expensive player to get in FA, but not someone that really moves the needle.

My preference was Smith, I think he could be an upper-tier PG, but also has a low floor. Monk is at least a top-tier bench scorer, though I think he can be better. Admittedly, he's kind of superfluous with LaVine on the roster. He's more of a fit if they make a smarter trade.

Dunn and smith wouldn't really work though.

The problem is the bulls took a deal that makes no sense and then had to draft players to compliment it.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 10:23 PM)
Dunn and smith wouldn't really work though.

The problem is the bulls took a deal that makes no sense and then had to draft players to compliment it.

Yeah, I'm mostly venting about players in a vacuum and not trying to build on the faulty foundation set by that trade.

Bell is an interesting player, should at least be able to get on the floor. Figures that he's moving.

Edited by ZoomSlowik