2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

I can honestly see the Bulls being one of the worst teams in the league for the next five years. Gar will f*** up most of the high draft picks if not all and no one that matters will want to come to these douchebags in FA. They already had a bad rep around the league now you have another two players in Jimmy and Wade to vouch for it.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 11:22 AM)
I still can't get over the fact Zach LaVine played on a torn ACL for 6 minutes. Just crazy.

It's possible. I played a bit of sports right after tearing mine (before the swelling begun) then for eight months after tearing it, this was with a meniscus tear.

Thing was, since I could still run, jump and cut I had no idea it was torn.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 03:30 AM)
So why did they draft him? Just to get some cash? For all the hate GarPax get, I wonder if the boss upstairs deserves more blame. Not that we haven't discussed that topic plenty in PHT already.

I would have taken that Euro guy a couple slots later and stashed him overseas. Of course I haven't watched any of those guys play, so what do I know. Evidently the Bell guy is the perfect fit for Golden State. He sucks offensively, but despite being undersized is really good defensively and with the spacing that Golden State has, even he can score and he should be effective for them off the bench. That player probably actually isn't that great of a fit for the Bulls yet...but there are enough other guys to take a flyer on. I agree to some extent with Pax's point...you can't have too many people at the same position because it actually could have a negative impact on overall development...but at least get some future picks.

In the grand scheme of things...it may amount to nothing...the bigger deal was us including the #16 pick in the Butler trade (I really wish we could have found a way to hold both 1st rounders) or at the very least gotten a future 1st rounder back.

If they did not think he was a fit, they should have traded it for future seconds or late firsts. Trading it for cash is further sign that they have no idea how to dig out of this mess (but they do know how to keep the franchise profitable!!!!!! Financial champions ftw)

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 08:03 AM)
It's hard for some because we're not all willing to dumb it down like you are. The game is complicated and these trades aren't made in a vacuum. Your inability to accept reality, that the Bulls wanted to rebuild and this was the best offer they had, is indicative of your lack of understanding, not our lack of understanding.

It must be harder for some to realize that if this was the best offer you had, you walk away from it. It also must be hard to understand that you aren't really rebuilding if you are giving away not 1, but two picks in the same draft.

While my grade of the physical Butler trade is probably a C...I will say that this is actually the team that Hoiberg should have been hired on to coach in the first place. Will be interesting to see how things emerge with the new roster and if he can save his NBA coaching profile.

I don't view the Bulls rebuild that differently from the Lakers. Both teams keys to success will be a combination of the draft and FA. If Bulls are going to succeed, at some point they have to hope they can sign in two stars. The downfall is we will be contending with the power of LA and we have Gar (vs. them having Magic). I actually don't think Paxson is a negative to FA's (he's not Magic Johnson)...but Gar and the stuff on him is just bad news.

It will be nice if we get some transcending player (or two or three) via the draft as well. But I wouldn't be shocked if next year Bulls are going all in on 2018/2019 to sign two guys. Would have been nice if Lavine wasn't a RFA at the end of the year (would be great to have an extra year having him on a good contract...as that would have given Bulls a lot more time to lay low on cap space while accumulating assets).

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 08:56 AM)
Yeah, still not crazy about his point guards but Dunn has a decent coach for it.

Decent 3p shooting. Not excited to see what Wade looks like on this team.

I really do hope that Wade takes on the veteran coach role and the Bulls kind of give him the hush hush we'll send you to a contender later on if you play nice (that way he kind of knows their is a light at the end). Wade can bring a lot of value to a young team that is "learning". To be honest, so can Rondo (albeit...Rondo may not be happy taking a back seat to Dunn and Dunn needs minutes). That said...if Wade isn't happy or Rondo isn't...it can also add a lot of toxicity that you don't want around a young team.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 10:57 AM)
I don't view the Bulls rebuild that differently from the Lakers. Both teams keys to success will be a combination of the draft and FA. If Bulls are going to succeed, at some point they have to hope they can sign in two stars. The downfall is we will be contending with the power of LA and we have Gar (vs. them having Magic). I actually don't think Paxson is a negative to FA's (he's not Magic Johnson)...but Gar and the stuff on him is just bad news.

It will be nice if we get some transcending player (or two or three) via the draft as well. But I wouldn't be shocked if next year Bulls are going all in on 2018/2019 to sign two guys. Would have been nice if Lavine wasn't a RFA at the end of the year (would be great to have an extra year having him on a good contract...as that would have given Bulls a lot more time to lay low on cap space while accumulating assets).

Except players have time and time again said they want to play for the Lakers, Paul George being the latest and will likely head there after this season. When was the last time someone came out and said they want to play for the Bulls?

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 11:34 AM)
Except players have time and time again said they want to play for the Lakers, Paul George being the latest and will likely head there after this season. When was the last time someone came out and said they want to play for the Bulls?

Wade?

The 2018 class is unfortunately not considered to be that riddled with 1 and done level talent. MPJ and then some players that could be top ten. Definitely a year you want shots at #1.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 11:43 AM)
The 2018 class is unfortunately not considered to be that riddled with 1 and done level talent. MPJ and then some players that could be top ten. Definitely a year you want shots at #1.

The freshmen always move around a ton once they start playing. This time last year, the top-4 was Giles, Fultz, Jackson and Smith in most places. Ayton could be interesting, probably one more emerges.

Also, Luka Doncic should be rated much higher than any foreigners this year.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 11:54 AM)
Markkanen just did a (painful) interview on Spiegel and Parkins and said Wade is one of his favorite players. So, there is that

LOL Painful interviews are always funny to me.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 09:34 AM)

Actually the past few years, the Lakers have lost out on every single priority free agent they wanted (hence Mozgov / Deng signings of a year ago). I expect that story to change and the Lakers have a leg up on us (from a pure marketing ploy in a sales pitch...imo). For the Bulls to hit on their strategy, they will need to win free agency. They have actually hit on free agency in the past....it didn't work out the way they wanted and I have no idea what the Wade news does / sends around the league. But people are crazy if they think we can get good without hitting in free agency (it has to be an integral part of any plan given the current climate of the NBA).

Do we actually hit...heck if I know...put us against the Lakers and we will likely lose to them...put us against a lot of other teams and I'd argue Chicago is in a strong spot. There are better locations though but a lot of that is circumstance based.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 09:54 AM)
Markkanen just did a (painful) interview on Spiegel and Parkins and said Wade is one of his favorite players. So, there is that

Out west, a lot of people were raving about Markkanen this morning (people who follow the Pac 12). Mychael Thompson mentioned that he thought Markkanen had a lot of upside and actually thought that his defensive abilities were "underrated" relative to the general perception on him.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 12:29 PM)
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/prese...icago-bulls-nba

Lowe makes it sound like there really wasn't a great market for Butler, at least for the return we all expected/wanted.

My issue is....wouldn't this dumpster fire of a return have been available at pretty much any point until the deadline in 2019?

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 11:38 AM)
Wade?

There weren't much of a market for Wade. Wade picked us primarily for the $$, but he was by no means a top tier FA anymore, which we need a few of those to turn the ship around.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 12:29 PM)
Actually the past few years, the Lakers have lost out on every single priority free agent they wanted (hence Mozgov / Deng signings of a year ago). I expect that story to change and the Lakers have a leg up on us (from a pure marketing ploy in a sales pitch...imo). For the Bulls to hit on their strategy, they will need to win free agency. They have actually hit on free agency in the past....it didn't work out the way they wanted and I have no idea what the Wade news does / sends around the league. But people are crazy if they think we can get good without hitting in free agency (it has to be an integral part of any plan given the current climate of the NBA).

Do we actually hit...heck if I know...put us against the Lakers and we will likely lose to them...put us against a lot of other teams and I'd argue Chicago is in a strong spot. There are better locations though but a lot of that is circumstance based.

I don't remember if the Lakers were in pursuit of Durant, Lebron the past few years, however Howard publicly demanded to play LA right before that. Part of the reason they weren't competitive in the FA market is the team wasn't truly in rebuild until Kobe retired. Now they have a strong young core lead by a pass first PG, it's going to be hard for the Bulls to compete with them for the top FA's going forward.