2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 10:29 AM)
Bulls doing something creative like using cap space for picks is something I wouldn't bet on. But, phil's stupiditiy aside, the package he was asking for Porzingis was legitimate. I don't think they are giving him away. He's not Gar Forman.

Was that before or after he tried to package in Noah? Because that's where it went full blown stupid.

Also yeah, I couldn't sleep this morning.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 10:47 AM)
Someone voted Gar Foreman for Exec of the Year.

Bulls Talk‏Verified account @CSNBulls 2h2 hours ago Who voted for Gar Forman for Executive of the Year? Conspiracy theories: http://bit.ly/2tQ836N

It could be Presti, Thibs, or the Denver GM. Nurkic and Garry Harris both had breakout years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 11:04 AM)
The Rockets are stabbing at anything and everything to try to stay relevant.

I'm glad they are tbh. They are so talented, sucks for them.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 12:32 PM)
Did the Clippers get a better deal for Paul then the Bulls did for Butler?

No. And I didn't like the Butler deal at all. The Bulls at least got what they considered as upside. Very little upside acquired by the Clippers.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 10:32 AM)

Chris Paul was a free agent and is older, so slightly different leverage in the equation. Clippers were in an interesting position with so many pending free agents, etc. A very good team...but one that was still a cut below the upper echelon teams in the league without the capacity / ability to make shifts. They tried hard to move DeAndre Jordan for the #4 pick and Tyson Chandler but weren't able to. Curious to see the direction they head. Honestly, I wouldn't have minded that deal as a Bulls fan (Houston really didn't give up much) and it would have been interesting to see how the 3 Alphas would have played out (with Paul replacing Rondo). You could then have been in a position a year from now to replace Wade with a much stronger, truer "alpha".

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 10:47 AM)
No. And I didn't like the Butler deal at all. The Bulls at least got what they considered as upside. Very little upside acquired by the Clippers.

Very curious what Clippers are going to do. Obviously LA didn't want to give him a 5 year deal. Seems that some of these front offices are getting smarter in how to handle the veteran players without saddling the team with LT deals. Chris Paul is still a really good player though and his game should age well.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 12:32 PM)

Nah, Lavine is better than all the players in that trade outside of CP3. Plus Houston's pick next year is gonna suck. The return should have been much less than the one for Jimmy though. CP3 only has the option year left while Jimmy has 2 years on his contract.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 01:02 PM)
Very curious what Clippers are going to do. Obviously LA didn't want to give him a 5 year deal. Seems that some of these front offices are getting smarter in how to handle the veteran players without saddling the team with LT deals. Chris Paul is still a really good player though and his game should age well.

I find the move by Houston pretty odd. Paul + Blake + Jordan and a decent player Reddick couldn't come close to beating the Warriors. Houston has what, Paul + Harden + ???? They could re-sign Nene I guess, or try for Melo or George, but that's still not a great roster. Paul gets murdered by Curry when they play.

I don't get this move by them.