2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN is reporting that the Celtics are trading Avery Bradley and a 2019 second-round pick to the Pistons in exchange for Marcus Morris.

The Celtics had to clear approximately $3.8 million dollars in salary to sign Gordon Hayward to a max contract. This deal does the trick, as Bradley will make $8.8 million next season and Morris will make $5.0 million. The Pistons are getting a rising star, as Bradley is viewed as one of the best perimeter defenders in the entire league, with a blossoming offensive game to match.

This is the type of deal the Bulls should be making - taking a salary dump. But the Bulls never take that kind of deal. It's amazing for the Pistons to add Bradley for nothing.

I hate the f***ing Bulls.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 09:58 AM)
This is the type of deal the Bulls should be making - taking a salary dump. But the Bulls never take that kind of deal. It's amazing for the Pistons to add Bradley for nothing.

It's embarrassing.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 10:01 AM)
Not digging the moves Boston is making.

It's like they could've had Cleveland by the balls, especially with their 13245 picks, and yet they completely f***ed it up.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 11:43 AM)
It's like they could've had Cleveland by the balls, especially with their 13245 picks, and yet they completely f***ed it up.

They could have easily beaten the package for Butler or George. Danny Ainge got a little too cute with hoarding up draft picks. Now they're still one star short of hanging with Cleveland.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 07:48 PM)
The Bulls missed out on the Euro guard. He signed with LAC.

I think the Bulls lost interest in him when they decided to rebuild. That said, Jerry West is a good eye for talent so the fact that he signed him bodes well for the Bulls overall interest in him, imo. Honestly, I am getting more mad about our decision to rebuild. Look at these contracts and recognize how much of a value proposition Butler was. That said, only the Bulls know how he was in the lockeroom and if he truly was a disaster, then I kind of understand.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 08:01 AM)
Not digging the moves Boston is making.

I would be so pissed if I was a fan of Boston right now. They seem to be totally whiffing. I also would have liked if the Bulls got in on those salary dumps. We had a $15M exception that could have fit right into play to enable Boston.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 12:21 PM)
I think the Bulls lost interest in him when they decided to rebuild. That said, Jerry West is a good eye for talent so the fact that he signed him bodes well for the Bulls overall interest in him, imo. Honestly, I am getting more mad about our decision to rebuild. Look at these contracts and recognize how much of a value proposition Butler was. That said, only the Bulls know how he was in the lockeroom and if he truly was a disaster, then I kind of understand.

I saw Nick Friedell on CSN yesterday. He is the Bulls beat guy for ESPN I believe. He basically said Jimmy and DWade were fake leaders, and since the time they called out the rest of the team that one game, everyone looked at them with a WTF look. He said, and I was kind of shocked he would say it, that buying out Wade makes a lot of sense. That things aren't going to start well this season, and only get worse.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 12:21 PM)

All I see is a sad attempt to not have to pay him the new super-max contract after next year.

I definitely would have rather dumped Crowder than Bradley. Jae is superfluous with the Hayward signing and the two early picks on wings recently. I also think he's a bit overrated at this point because everyone is obsessed with 3-and-D wings (and he's not that good at either). Bradley is a legimately elite defender that can shoot and has some ballhandling ability. Now they have to use Marcus Smart more, who I hate as a player (obviously I would give Smart away first, zero interest in paying him).

The one thing in Crowder's favor is the contract. He's really cheap for 3 more years while Bradley will get paid a ton after this season.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 12:43 PM)

They could have had...

Thomas - Butler/George - Hayward - Johnson - Horford with Smart off the bench.

Hell they could could have had George AND Butler with all those damn assets.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 02:51 PM)
Sun-Times Sports‏ @suntimes_sports 4h4 hours ago

Center of Retention: #Bulls re-sign Christiano Felicio —

Robin Lopez's backup —

to 4-year, $32M deal http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/cristia...n-the-move/amp/

Welcome to yesterday, also known as 20 years ago in internet time.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 09:58 AM)

Not really. Bradley would help Bulls win games this year and needs a huge contract next offseason. Pass.

Our only move outside of Butler trade was bringing back Holiday. Teams like the Nets are taking on salary for draft picks. Bulls still are roughly $28 mil under cap even with Wade's deadweight contract are idly standing by. Can someone go wake Gar up?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 05:10 PM)
Not really. Bradley would help Bulls win games this year and needs a huge contract next offseason. Pass.

You get a pick for taking him and could easily trade him for more assets at deadline. This team will be absolutely brutal scoring the ball, I don't see Avery Bradley changing that.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 02:43 PM)
Valentine and Markkanen are 2-22 overall and 0-17 from 3.

#1 pick really could be in play.

We know Valentine can shoot, so it is just one game. Markkanen is adjusting...he had a nice first game...oh well, next game is bad. Hopefully he bounces back in game 3...that said, summer league is just that. He is far too good of a shooter to shoot 0-10 on any sort of regular basis (his stroke is a thing of beauty). Whether he can do all the other things are a questionmark...I don't doubt that he'll be a very good shooter. Seriously though, what are the odds that Denzel and Mark would be 0-18 from 3. I have not watched any of the game so no idea if they took a lot of WTF shots or just missed open shots.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 04:52 PM)
The worst of the worst is making too much of summer league stats.

It's like spring training IMO. Good play doesn't always translate to the regular season, but bad play is a concern.

Cameron Payne has been terrible. Even the beat guys are commenting on it. I'm not sure what the hell the Bulls see in him other than a ticket to the high lottery pick.