2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 10:13 AM)
I can believe it. Not sure why the sixers would want to trade for Jimmy with where they are as a franchise right now.

Youth alone doesn't work. I could see where Sixers might have been interested.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 03:26 PM)
Youth alone doesn't work. I could see where Sixers might have been interested.

But they weren't interested. They're doing it the way they have been and when it's time to make a big move they will. Now is not close to that time.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 04:00 PM)
I could have sworn that Brown was one of the few that actually showed up vs the Cavs

Athletically he made some plays in that one game at Boston, but otherwise he was really bad throughout the playoffs. He was benched for a while.

edit: I mean he's young, so there's obviously upside, but I hate when teams give up on young talent. Almost always means they've found something out they don't like. If he's really that good, why would the Celtics give up on him?

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

Lol, the first reply is perfect:

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/876907779981590528

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 01:58 PM)
UGH, super hard pass. Brown looked awful this post-season.

When I watched Brown, he looked like a player with pretty good potential. I didn't say I would love the trade...but I think the Bulls / Celtics might be able to make it work. I'm sure Bulls are asking for the Lakers pick (along with Brown / #3) and the Celtics only want to give up Brown or the #3 (and forget even thinking about the Lakers pick).

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 02:01 PM)
Athletically he made some plays in that one game at Boston, but otherwise he was really bad throughout the playoffs. He was benched for a while.

edit: I mean he's young, so there's obviously upside, but I hate when teams give up on young talent. Almost always means they've found something out they don't like. If he's really that good, why would the Celtics give up on him?

Because Boston is good now and needs to get better. Brown takes time and that doesn't fit into the timeline. Youth takes time to develop into winners and at some point, you need real veterans to help with that...otherwise that young youth just learns to be a "loser" and the cycle continues.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 02:05 PM)

This is positive. The more teams interested, the more likely scenario that the Bulls at least get better value (if they are indeed going to go this route).

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 03:25 PM)
Which is why you cant turn your most valuable asset into a guy who right now cant shoot well.

There just is a huge difference between Fultz and Jackson.

I think this is all meaningless as I dont believe the Bulls will trade Butler for anything less than the type of deal I said above, and I believe the Celts are perfectly happy being the 5th best team in the NBA.

They probably are right now. Their rebuild may be 2 years ahead of schedule. Next year they could be the 3rd best team in the league but they are much closer to 6 than 2. They could have 3--1st round picks next year or 2 and 2 the following. They need a legit 5 more than Butler or Hayward but all signs say Hayward and Jackson will be this summer's additions.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 05:32 PM)
They probably are right now. Their rebuild may be 2 years ahead of schedule. Next year they could be the 3rd best team in the league but they are much closer to 6 than 2. They could have 3--1st round picks next year or 2 and 2 the following. They need a legit 5 more than Butler or Hayward but all signs say Hayward and Jackson will be this summer's additions.

Im just not that enthusiastic about the Celtics team. I like their picks, I just think that they are using them incorrectly.

Basketball is about generational talents. Right now the Celtics (imo) are lacking that. Getting a generational talent in the draft is hard. Celtic's positioning is somewhat bad because GSW has 2 generational talents (I hate to say that about Curry, but unless he falls off a cliff he is one.) Teams that have Westbrook, Lebron etc, are closer than Celtics because they only need to figure out a way to add another super star.

If I were the Celtics Id be using my picks to trade for superstars, instead of dicking around trading down for more picks etc.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 04:05 PM)

And they just fired their GM....

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 04:25 PM)
I highly doubt GarPax has the balls to pull this off regardless if it's the absolute smart move to rebuild this thing.

Exactly. The Bulls won't deal Jimmy until every ounce of his value is gone.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 02:31 PM)
I dont disagree. I just disagree with the value.

Josh Jackson shot sub 60% from FT. He is not a very good shooter.

There are some other guys who id take over him if I was completely restarting a franchise. Because they are more boom/bust, and with GSW being the team to beat, you need scorers.

(edit)

I think the part you keep missing is I dont really want #3 in this draft. Id rather get more future picks than the #3 in this draft. if I had the #3 and i was rebuilding, Id probably take Fox.

Jackson improved as a outside shooter as the college season went on, and he still was averaged over 16 points a game and shot over 50% as a freshmen despite not having a reliable jump shot. Shooting is the last thing to develop for NBA players so I'm not worried about it at all. Let's not forget some of the best two way players today, Jimmy, Kawhi, Greak Freak all came into the league as athletic defenders and developed offense overtime. If we want to go back further, Wall, Westbrook, Derrick Rose, Kobe, T-mac, some kid named LBJ all couldn't shoot before they got into the league. Jackson definitely was the talent to develop into an elite two player.

What's everyone's ideal Jimmy package?

I'd be asking Brown, #3 (Fox) and the Nets pick next year. Add salary filler.

RoLo would be great for the Cs, but I don't know if it's possible to financially add Butler, Lopez and Hayward.

You end up rebuilding around this...

Fox, Grant, Payne

Valentine, MCW

Brown, Zipser

Portis, Mirotic (no harm in keeping him at that point)

Felicio

Take BPA at #16

Then hope the Nets pick positions you for Porter/Doncic/Ayton.

Supposedly Kings love Jackson, so you could possibly turn the #3 and #16 into #5 and #10

More likely scenario is Gar stands pat and signs Iggy.